: Guys, I need help, Please convince me not to get a V...

TheNardDog
04-07-12, 06:10 PM
Cause I really want one bad, just got a new job and have the means finally in about a month to start looking. I have an '08 CTS right now and honestly when I got it I was craving a V but got the CTS for financial reasons. I have the itch bad, I want to get a V coupe, brand new, with all the options. What would that generally run around 72 ish?

Owners, how do you like yours? What are the pros, cons, and concerns you have noticed so far through ownership? I will have this as a daily driver which is why I'm leaning on just buying a brand new one, and I've never gotten a brand new car before either so it might be a fun experience. I've got a world class dealership where I bought my CTS so I would expect to go through them and continue to have great service.

I have V fever, I can't stop looking at videos, photos, specs, everything. Help me calm it down by giving me the reality of V ownership, whether good or bad. What ticks does it have? Am I rushing into this too late, should I wait for the next model since we will be seeing that soon, would it really change all that much? Where would the horsepower be headed? If I go in with this, I would want a car that would stand the test of time for a while and I don't feel like the past gen V's do that, so I'm a little concerned about going in at this point in the model. But more excited than concerned. I appreciate anything you all can give me!

Torxila
04-07-12, 07:17 PM
My .02, forget the sunroof on the coupe, all it does is tilt open at the rear. Save the $900 for your pulley and tune upgrade. Get the 6MT and save another $1300 on gas guzzler tax. Use that for CAI and KDI HX-cooler.

Coupe with 6 stick, wood trim, suede steering wheel/shifter/polished pedals, satin graphite wheels and yellow calipers should be ~68K sticker, expect 3.5-4k off minimum or go somewhere else.

Reality is gas mileage, but who the F cares, right?

thebigjimsho
04-07-12, 08:42 PM
Doit!

TXAG2004
04-07-12, 09:12 PM
Yes. Buy one as soon as possible. You won't regret it

Veju
04-07-12, 09:15 PM
I have no feeling in my left foot otherwise i would get the manual, but im in the same boat. Im looking at other sports coupes in its range and nothing else quite adds up. I cant wait to go test drive on in about a month when i get back on my feet.

Houdini
04-07-12, 09:24 PM
6MT all the way

Trapspeed
04-07-12, 10:33 PM
If you want me to talk you out of it you're in the wrong place. For me, I always wanted one but didn't think it would be in the cards for me. Eventually it was and I've had mine about a year. The car has 39K miles. Major issues....none. Small oil pan gasket leak, a small coolant leak from the intercooler plumbing that they're tracing but otherwise it's awesome. Period. I've got a lot of time with LS engines so I know how they're built, etc. The Automatic tranny because after my last Camaro I'm tired of shifting. It's a world-class car that isn't afraid to assert itself at the top of the heap. I hope for at least 100K miles of trouble-free ownership. Do it. You will not be upset you did.

SoCal_V
04-08-12, 01:43 AM
Horrible gas mileage, average fit/finish, squeaks/rattles/noises out of place in a $70k car, and potential wheel/sunroof problems and build quality issues

vs

endless intoxicating power, a well sorted suspension that's comfortable and sporty, unique fastest American made sedan on the planet, fun to drive

Only you can decide what's important and worth it. For me, it's worth it. Some of my friends think I'm insane for the reasons listed above. Screw 'em.

roarkb
04-08-12, 07:06 AM
Ditto to SoCal_V.
I will add mine turned 3 years old yesterday. I have never come close to keeping a car that long because I get bored with them. It is now paid for, so it likely has a permanent spot in my garage!

AWSOME CAR!

Horrible gas mileage, average fit/finish, squeaks/rattles/noises out of place in a $70k car, and potential wheel/sunroof problems and build quality issues

vs

endless intoxicating power, a well sorted suspension that's comfortable and sporty, unique fastest American made sedan on the planet, fun to drive

Only you can decide what's important and worth it. For me, it's worth it. Some of my friends think I'm insane for the reasons listed above. Screw 'em.

Captain McFunk
04-08-12, 11:35 AM

vs

This pretty much sums it up. he gas mileage is horrible, i get about 220 miles on a tank. The interior squeaks (i'm at 35k miles on my 09), the supercharger did rattle (i've since had mine replaced and the rattle is gone) the sunroof very rarely makes squeaks for me unless there is chassis flex, but despite all of that, the car is just insanely fun to drive. To spin tires at 40-60mph is one of the most entertaining things ever. It's so absurdly fast, it looks nice, it has a backseat, i could drive it across the country in comfort, and they're rare makes it an easy decision for me. i've had mine about 3 months now. I would buy a used 2011 just because you save anywhere from 10-20,000 dollars off buying brand new. No one can screw up a car that bad in 10-15k miles and you'll have a lot of warranty left. I got my 09 with 30k miles on it for 46k.

JFJr
04-08-12, 12:34 PM
Sorry, can't help you. Best American sedan/coupe/wagon ever built, period! It is the most stable, confidence-inspiring high performance car I have ever owned. Oh, forgot to add, get the manual transmission. You won't find many complaints about that transmission on this forum.

Jud

TheNardDog
04-08-12, 12:38 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, I was thinking about getting brand new but I found a 2011 Coupe with 700 miles on it for about 62k with just about all the options except the yellow brakes, so with trade in that would make it very attractive despite not getting to pick out the color and just have the brand new car experience. I may have to go check it out at the dealership tomorrow. I'm too excited for this today. Why can't they be open on Easter Sunday!

cts-v-ette
04-08-12, 01:46 PM
I know how you feel, I had to wait a whole 48 hours to pick mine up because I got there late after working all day on a Saturday and they wanted a bank check, they wouldn't take a personal check for a car of almost 70k. Worth the wait, best car I ever bought even better than the day I bought my vette. I have an 11' coupe and it get a lot of attention, I came out of work yesterday had my car parked on 5th Ave in Manhattan and 3 people were taking pictures of the car. But it, have fun, and enjoy.

thebigjimsho
04-08-12, 03:14 PM
It WILL get you a lot of attention...

SoCalCTSV
04-08-12, 03:15 PM
Paid $66 for my 2012 Coupe. Everything including sunroof. Reacaros, wood, yellow brembos, suede package. I fill up every other day. Drive in So Cal traffic. Grease the valet to paint the fence (put it up front) when I have no other parking choice.

Like I read somewhere, its like Don Draper meets Darth Vader.

lewster01
04-08-12, 05:20 PM
See picture no comment necessary.

V locity
04-08-12, 10:33 PM
Well, instead of paying the low 70s for one, maybe the low 50s works better for the side of your mind holding you back. Take the 20K you save and make it fastest V on the planet :D

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=77494&endYear=2013&photosOnly=true&listingType=used&engineCode=8+Cylinder&maxPrice=55000&pricesOnly=true&modelCode1=CTS&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&makeCode1=CAD&startYear=1981&bodyStyles=COUPE&numRecords=25&searchRadius=0&showcaseOwnerId=66762155&Log=0

Xaqtly
04-09-12, 04:50 PM

vs

I'd add something unique but I don't think I can add anything that says it better than this. And for me, the positives outweigh the negatives by, as James May said as he was driving his CTS-V through a twisty mountain pass, a distance as great as this road. Put simply, I am happy every single time - without exception - that I get into my V wagon. To me, that is simply worth the price of admission.

Or to quote James May again, "This is the greatest American car I have ever driven".

SC2150
04-09-12, 05:43 PM
You can always send it to us to twin turbo and keep up with the stock V's...and still get 25-28 mpg. Or for less, install our super charger system for around 400 whp for a fraction the price of a V.

halonut
04-15-12, 01:09 AM
Nothing says "I don't give a flock what gas costs" like a V!

thebigjimsho
04-15-12, 01:31 AM
Ain't that the truth...

rozkopeeko1
04-17-12, 07:44 PM
brova"s i am new to the forum and i am struggling as well ,I brought a 2011 Grand Sport bl on bl on bl vert and pretty much getting a good price from dealer towards a trade on a 2012 CTS-V Thunder Gray with everything except recaro's and ac seats.... HELPPPPPPPPPPPP ...... Its sitting on show room floor waiting for me to sign the paperwork ??????????

Blk N Blwn
04-17-12, 09:21 PM
Hi guys, new to the site and had to read this thread. I pick up my (actually i bought this for the wife) new 2012 CTS V Coupe on Saturday. Black Diamond Tricoat with Black Satin wheels and yellow calipers. Got an automatic since I already have a supercharged Challenger SRT with an M6.

Have not even driven a V so the anticipation of picking the car up in a couple of days is painful.

Looking forward to some good info from this forum.

thebigjimsho
04-18-12, 05:00 PM
Hi guys, new to the site and had to read this thread. I pick up my (actually i bought this for the wife) new 2012 CTS V Coupe on Saturday. Black Diamond Tricoat with Black Satin wheels and yellow calipers. Got an automatic since I already have a supercharged Challenger SRT with an M6.

Have not even driven a V so the anticipation of picking the car up in a couple of days is painful.

Looking forward to some good info from this forum.You have no clue what you're in for...

bwahahahahahahahahahahaha

DiamondWhtV
04-18-12, 05:14 PM
Anyone remember the old commercial "When you turn your car on...does it return the favor" or something like that.

This is the first car I have ever owned, that I still get a thrill when driving it. I have had it now 2 1/2 years and will keep it without thinking twice. (Well except maybe for a Black Coupe with the M6)

JFJr
04-18-12, 06:20 PM
Anyone remember the old commercial "When you turn your car on...does it return the favor" or something like that.

This is the first car I have ever owned, that I still get a thrill when driving it. I have had it now 2 1/2 years and will keep it without thinking twice. (Well except maybe for a Black Coupe with the M6)Absolutely, my "V" is an extension of my eyes, feet and hands. That sums it up.

Jud

SC2150
04-18-12, 06:24 PM
For the "non-initiated" the V can be pretty intimidating!!!!

rozkopeeko1
04-18-12, 09:10 PM
helllooooooo no input ???? i signed the paperwork but left the car at dealership...... gonna sleep one more night with my Grandsport .................. any word on when the c-7 is dropping .. trying to avoid getting the shaft on my c-6 .....????

V locity
04-19-12, 09:41 PM
And here's the Money Maker of the day:

2011, Black Raven, 621 miles on it, $56500...

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2013&zip=77494&photosOnly=true&listingType=used&engineCode=8+Cylinder&transmissionCode=AUT&showcaseListingId=319802659&pricesOnly=true&modelCode1=CTS&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&showcaseOwnerId=66762155&makeCode1=CAD&startYear=2009&firstRecord=26&searchRadius=0&listingId=304859903&Log=0

undertaker
04-20-12, 10:23 AM
helllooooooo no input ???? i signed the paperwork but left the car at dealership...... gonna sleep one more night with my Grandsport .................. any word on when the c-7 is dropping .. trying to avoid getting the shaft on my c-6 .....????

Well, I had thought of a 4th vette since 03, but since I still have 2 of them, and a grand sport vert was going to be 80 by the time I was done (3Lt and options) and the caddy was almost 10K less and a world apart, I called my buddies with a shop that works on vettes, and a handful of CTSV's. And asked if you were buying something right now would it be a vette or a CTS? Every guy at the shop said that it would be a caddy. Guess the fact that I have a 427 C5R C5 in the garage swayed my decision quite a bit, but honestly I love the caddy. A bunch of my vette buddies have either added them to their garage or replaced their vettes and all of them say over and over again what a great car it is, until you look at the gas gauge. Of course a vette driven properly (hard) is mid teens, a CTS V 12-13 so it is what it is.

Obviously your situation is worse since you'd be taking a hit on your vette and mine was a simple which car to buy choice.

rozkopeeko1
04-23-12, 10:40 AM
taking a hit is definatley a consideration however if i wait to long the C-7 will hit me as well. I'm definatley wayyy up on the vette right now (20 grand ) and if o flip it into the CTS-V i will be up as well and enjoy a couple of great years until they redsign the V and possibly have a paid off V .