: periodic squeak from right rear while driving

Jochen
04-07-12, 03:51 PM
I have a small, but very anoying issue with my 07 AWD Esclade. When driving close to a wall it is most hearable. Its a " eek - eek - eek...." noise, that occurs faster, the faster i drive. So its related to revolutions of the halfshaft i guess...
Brakes? Bearing? Hub?

Hope somebody can help....

MrHolland
04-07-12, 03:59 PM
I'd begin with brakes. Sounds like possibly wear indicator. While next to a wall or whenever you hear the noise, apply pressure to the brakes and see if it quits or changes.

Jochen
04-07-12, 04:09 PM
Thanks! I tried that. Applied brakes - no change. Applied e-brake - no change to the noise.
Anyway, i will for shure replace the discs and pads next week as they are pretty worn. I had a similar noise on my Corvette. It was a loose e-brake spring inside the e-brake drum/disc assembly.

K9Caddy
04-07-12, 04:13 PM
Take the plastic cadillac cap off the wheel and see if thats it.

Jochen
04-07-12, 04:14 PM
PS. i realized one more thing: while rocking the rear wheels really strong in an axial direction (halfshaft axle) i felt a very small amount of movement, like the fraction of an mm. Is that normal on a straight axle design like the Escalade has? Movement on an Independet wheel setup wouldpoint to a broken bearing....

----------

Take the plastic cadillac cap off the wheel and see if thats it.

Will try that, Thanks!

Michael 514
04-09-12, 01:45 AM
I am having the same issue right now on my 2008 Platinum Escalade. Very annoying.

I know three things:
1. It happens when rolling with the ignition off
2. It happened with both my 22s and my 18s installed.
3. I noticed it happens when I am turning to the left a bit.

I just ordered some new rotors and pads on ebay.. (Cross drilled! :))..... We'll see what happens after the install..

I'll keep you posted!

MrHolland
04-09-12, 01:52 AM
Drilled and or slotted rotors will also make a little bit of noise when the air goes across them while driving, but that's normal.

Jochen
04-09-12, 06:21 AM
Problem solved!

K9Caddy got it! Both plastic wheel caps on the passenger side did not sit tight, they were kind of loose. I took both off the rims, drove 30 miles to work and there was no more squeaking noise at all. Very very nice!
Big thanks to all who helped, and a special THANK YOU to K9Caddy!

Did you fix the caps somehow or just bought a set of new ones?

Jochen

K9Caddy
04-09-12, 09:41 AM
Jochen-

Glad you got it all worked out, glad to help! :) I've heard of several people having issues with the caps causing noises. I have yet to have any problems with my own...

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-09-12, 12:15 PM
Jochen, I'm happy to see K9Caddy helped resolve your issue! Thanks for keeping us updated and sharing the information so others on the community can benefit from it.

Michael 514, I'm sorry to hear you were experiencing a similar concern, and I hope you too find a quick fix. I look forward to hearing your updates after the install!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service