: Who Else Has Leaking Shocks?

baabootoo
04-07-12, 01:01 AM
I'm hoping you guys can help me out to see if it's just my car or what. I am at 26K miles, on my 2009, and noticed today that all four shocks are leaking fluid again! I first noticed them leaking Winter of 2011, and had the rears replaced. With a couple hundred miles, and a couple of weeks, they were leaking again. When putting my summer tires on yesterday, I saw they were all leaking again. I will be on my 4th set of rears, and second set of fronts; excluding the originals. I have stock suspension, springs, and do track the car a few times a year. I noticed the leaks BEFORE the tracking season though and they seem to leak over the winter. Anyway......would you check to see if any of your shocks are leaking? You'll see the oily residue real easily in the dirt on the outer shell. I have gotten a GM complaint number also. Thanks.

east coast ctsv
04-07-12, 08:24 AM
I checked mine a few weeks ago and noticed a silver colored thick oil leaking down the rear shocks. Fronts are clean and dry. I was going to have them changed but now I'm not sure. I dont want to keep changing shocks if there is a problem with the new replacements. :(

BWhite58
04-07-12, 11:49 AM
I checked mine a few weeks ago and noticed a silver colored thick oil leaking down the rear shocks. Fronts are clean and dry. I was going to have them changed but now I'm not sure. I dont want to keep changing shocks if there is a problem with the new replacements. :(
The shocks are leaking ? Not good . Does Ferrari know ?

RippyPartsDept
04-07-12, 12:22 PM
http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/2010/10/27/when-to-replace-shocks/
(http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/2010/10/27/when-to-replace-shocks/)
take a look at the pictures in the post on that page... which one best describes how yours look?

baabootoo
04-07-12, 04:06 PM
My rears have been covered all the way to the bottom bolt. The fronts haven't gotten that far the other day, but were at least half way when the dealer replaced the first time. I'm more concerned since it's the "Magna Ride" deal too.

M5eater
04-08-12, 10:08 PM
I'm more concerned since it's the "Magna Ride" deal too.
concerned in what way?

baabootoo
04-09-12, 12:01 AM
Well, it's not a typical shock with just fluid, it's electrically controlled with special with the magnetic particles or whatever they sell it on. I'd be happy to take the coil-overs any day too.

RippyPartsDept
04-09-12, 11:47 AM
are you no longer under warranty?

SoonerSpeedFreak
02-16-13, 04:04 PM
Any news on this topic? Recall? I just took my 2009 in for an oil change. The bumber to bumber ran out 3 months ago. And now he shows me one of my shocks HAS been leaking. All the way down. You can clearly see this isn't a new leak. Should I ask them to replace it under warranty? It's just one front shock. The others are fine.

RippyPartsDept
02-16-13, 05:48 PM
They're not going to offer the warranty repair. Can't hurt to ask. Your chances are probably tied to your relationship with them. If you always get it serviced there you're chances get better. If they say no you can always get I'm touch with corporate and see if they will help.

tedcmiller
02-18-13, 12:13 AM
I have a 2009 CTS-V with only 10,000 miles on it. No leaky shocks.

Cadillac Cust Svc
02-18-13, 03:42 PM
SoonerSpeedFreak, have you had a chance to contact our Cadillac Customer Assistance Center for further assistance? I'm available via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com and agents are available via phone hotline at 800-458-8006 (Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm EST).

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

baabootoo
02-18-13, 04:17 PM
I pretty much gave up since they kept leaking. I could probably get a set every year and a half.

SoonerSpeedFreak
02-19-13, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the input. I take my car to the dealer ship for all services. That's why I was suprised when he showed me my shock. It's very obvious it's been leaking a long time. I heard something pop when they were lifting it..... the lift guy stopped, looked at my car, and did something before continuing to lift it. I am sure I am just paranoid. I always think the worse when it's my car. It was just an oil change. But I never left the garage! The guys are super nice there. But small town. Only V. So no experiance.
I didn't ask them to warranty it.
Katie I will contact you tomorrow. Thank you for your help.

Cadillac Cust Svc
02-20-13, 04:10 PM
...Katie I will contact you tomorrow. Thank you for your help...

SoonerSpeakFreak, I will unfortunately be out of the office for the next two business days (which is atypical) so I recommend getting in touch with my phone hotline colleagues at the number above for the most immediate assistance.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Xaqtly
03-01-13, 02:08 PM
I just brought mine in for the 30k service yesterday, and they called me back and said my right front (passenger side) shock was leaking. They overnighted a replacement shock and it should be finished today.

neuronbob
03-01-13, 02:12 PM
Maybe I should stock up on the MRC shocks and rotors to have extras on hand, since production is ending. :)

Tedboss1
03-01-13, 03:43 PM
I had my leaking rear driver shock replaced last year under warranty with no questions asked.
It took dealer a week to get the shock but all is fine now.
I do not race my car.

SoonerSpeedFreak
08-12-14, 11:51 PM
Katie you still around?

M5eater
08-13-14, 02:25 PM
I would be more interested/concerned about how MR fluid looses it's properties(it decreases in viscosity) and efficiency over time. How much time before the shocks 'work' at 80% capacity, or less?
20k? 100?

baabootoo
08-14-14, 12:10 PM
I never noticed a thing after all my leakage. Just the oil on the outside, but it still had the suspension difference when I pushed the button.

stabie
08-14-14, 12:38 PM
I think they should have zero/minimal wear over time. They have small metal particles in the fluid that change with electric
field application. Neither the metal or the e-field will degrade over time. I expect the failure mode to be catastrophic.(leak)

I would be more interested/concerned about how MR fluid looses it's properties(it decreases in viscosity) and efficiency over time. How much time before the shocks 'work' at 80% capacity, or less?
20k? 100?

cruiser68
08-14-14, 02:08 PM
I would think the fluid would break down along with the seals like normal shocks. Aside from the MR fluid, the shock pretty much works like any other shock minus the variable damping. It is still pushing fluid through orifices and over time I think they wear the same. Seals are seals and they do wear over time.

SoonerSpeedFreak
08-14-14, 08:42 PM
On mine that front right side is making thuds every time you hit even a small bump. That is the shock that was leaking a long time ago. My V is not a daily driver I have only put 5k on it in the last year. I was told the front shocks were only replaced in pairs. And at $1200.00 a pair. Not sure if that is correct. But I hate to have to pay for that when the shock was leaking when it was under warranty.

cruiser68
08-14-14, 08:52 PM
You can get the shocks for $650-$700 delivered for a pair. If you can rent a spring compressor they are relatively easy to replace. I also would only replace in pairs at a minimum, preferably all 4 at once.