: Clutch pedal issues???

EPIK
04-06-12, 08:10 PM
Hello everyone. I am new here & I am having a very annoying issue with my 05 CTS-V. I apologize if this issue has been discussed before, but I searched & couldn't find concrete answers.

My car is cammed/full exhaust & makes 420rwhp/395rwtq. I purchased the car fully modded & it had a near new LS7 clutch kit & slave in it. After about 8k miles of me owning it, the clutch pedal started going dead in high RPM driving & I found out the slave was leaking. Not knowing any better, I had a shop throw in a brand new stock CTS-V LS6 slave (about 2k miles ago). Needless to say, my clutch has felt like crap ever since & releases right off the floor since LS7 clutches don't work on V's with a stock slave (didn't do my research beforehand). That is only part of the issue though, because my clutch pedal is still going dead in high RPM driving....For instance, I can get on it from 1st gear & bang 2nd gear, but after that, the clutch pedal is dead & stays that way until I let off the gas, coast the car & the rpms drop down a bit. My trans feels notchier than it used to, & my car is also VERY hard to get in reverse at times. When I 1st start the car up in the morning, I actually cannot get into reverse at all unless I throw it in gear before I start the car. I'm sure the notchy & reverse issue are probably due to the wrong slave/clutch combo?

So I have heard from a few sources & from searching around that my dead pedal issue could be due to a bad master, but it could also be due to bad pressure plate & disk??? My LS7 clutch setup has about 22k miles on it, still grabs good, & never slips. I was ready to just replace the entire clutch setup with a monster stage 2 to save myself all the headache, but I found out that I will have to replace the brand new slave that I payed to have installed in december. I would rather not replace the slave again if I don't have to, because I just spent a good amount doing this already, but if I have to, I have no choice I guess??? Money is kind of an issue these days, so the cheaper, but full proof option to fix my issue is what I need to do. I loved the way the LS7 clutch felt before I had the issues with the pedal going dead.

So here are my questions...

1=Does my dead clutch pedal at high RPM's sound like an issue with my clutch pressure plate or master cylinder?

2= What good aftermarket clutch will work with a stock LS6 V slave cylinder?

3=Can I use a spacer & keep my LS7 clutch & Stock V slave?

4=Should I just reinstall an LS7 slave?

5=Should I buy the complete Monster stage 2 setup & call it a day?

6=How many miles are you guys getting out of an LS7 clutch 400+ rwhp V?

Thanks in advance for any info you guys have to offer!

EPIK
04-07-12, 03:08 PM
C'mon fellas... 177 views, but nobody can chime in? I know somebody here has to have some sort of insight on this?

darkman
04-07-12, 05:01 PM
I think all your problems stem from not having the spacer, but I have not installed an LS7 clutch myself and was hoping that someone with direct knowledge would chime in.

PISNUOFF
04-07-12, 05:08 PM
1. Pressure plate is more likely than master. I had one LS7 pressure plate go bad in 3000 miles when I had 400 rwHp.

2,3,4. Up to you. A spacer or new LS7 slave will work just fine. A spacer is about $100 and an LS7 slave is about $170.

5. I have heard of several horror stories with Monster stage 2's but have no first hand knowledge.

6. I got 3000 miles and a dozen track days out of my first one. It wasn't broken in properly, I could only drive it about 100 miles before I took it on a 1200 mile highway trip. My second one lasted over 30,000 and was only removed because I broke a piston and built an LS3 stroker.

EPIK
04-08-12, 04:45 PM
I think all your problems stem from not having the spacer, but I have not installed an LS7 clutch myself and was hoping that someone with direct knowledge would chime in.

Thanks for the reply. I think that the notchiness, reverse issues, & low pedal release stem from not having the spacer too, but not sure about the dead pedal?

1. Pressure plate is more likely than master. I had one LS7 pressure plate go bad in 3000 miles when I had 400 rwHp.

2,3,4. Up to you. A spacer or new LS7 slave will work just fine. A spacer is about $100 and an LS7 slave is about $170.

5. I have heard of several horror stories with Monster stage 2's but have no first hand knowledge.

6. I got 3000 miles and a dozen track days out of my first one. It wasn't broken in properly, I could only drive it about 100 miles before I took it on a 1200 mile highway trip. My second one lasted over 30,000 and was only removed because I broke a piston and built an LS3 stroker.

Thanks....

Yeah, after talking to a few different people, I am thinking the pressure plate is the issue too. It's just weird because the clutch still grabs hard & never slips, but at high rpm, there is ZERO pedal pressure.

So what horror stories have you heard about the Monster Stage II, because I am planning on purchasing one tomorrow?

I would just go with a new LS7 pressure plate, clutch disk, & a spacer, but I am starting to think that my car is just gonna eat it up again? I spoke to the previous owner last night, & he said the LS7 clutch that is currently in my car is actually the 2nd one it had in it & that he had installed this one only 500-1000 miles before I purchased the car because the 1st one he installed went bad & he had it warrantied. So that means my clutch only has 13k miles on it...

Thanks again for the info.

howanicm
04-14-12, 04:43 AM
If you havent goten it fixed yet, heres some insight. I had a very similar problem with my car about 2 weeks ago. There is a plastic piece that holds the rod for the master cyclinder to the clutch pedal that in my experience wears out and slides forward on the shaft. Heres a pic of my solution which fixed my issue. 89954

Hope this helps