: steering wheel diameters and thickness

Trionalaw
04-06-12, 02:48 PM
In all probability I have undiagnosed OCD. My dealership gave me a 2012 CTS sedan (nice car even if substantially down on power from my car) while my 2012 CTS V coupe was in for an oil change after its break in period I guess I am old school.

Now the OCD. My beast has the suede covered steering wheel and 6 MT shifter. The sedan had the leather wrapped steering wheel. I am certain the sedan's steering wheel was smaller in diameter and thicker than my CTS V coupe's.

I have been spoiled by smaller, stickers during wheels as my last two cars have been M3's (E 46 and E 90). Don't think I am not going to the dealership with a cloth measuring tape. However, I wondered if anyone else had the same impression.

I'm going to go lay down on a couch and talk to myself.

Thanks and happy holiday,

Jim

baabootoo
04-08-12, 07:44 PM
Take a fancy digital readout caliper instead!!!! :)

M5eater
04-08-12, 09:11 PM
I have both wheels. I'll give it a look, it got the impression that the leather wheel is a bit thicker.

JOEYCTS-V
04-08-12, 10:20 PM
Leather is thicker.

Trionalaw
04-09-12, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the replies. I wish I had got leather instead of suede at this point. I liked the thicker feel.

Oh well, the car is still fantastic. I hope to have the opportunity to take it to Putnam Park in Indiana for a driving school next month.

Thanks again,

You

BigDog001
04-12-12, 07:29 AM
Mine came with the leather wheel -- I swapped it out for the suede wheel and shifter -- I like the suede much better feels better to me -- not sure it the leather is thicker - -maybe just stiffer less give.

JOEYCTS-V
04-12-12, 11:19 PM
Well, I went to the car show last night and was comparing the suede wheel to my leather. It wasn't as thin as I thought it was but I did notice a difference.

OldRoadDawg
04-13-12, 02:03 PM
The sedan had the leather wrapped steering wheel. I am certain the sedan's steering wheel was smaller in diameter and thicker than my CTS V coupe's.

I have both wheels. I'll give it a look, it got the impression that the leather wheel is a bit thicker.

Leather is thicker.

Well, I went to the car show last night and was comparing the suede wheel to my leather. It wasn't as thin as I thought it was but I did notice a difference.

I'm not convinced there is any difference between them, other than the obvious respective tactile feel.
Additionally, I've driven coupes and never saw any difference in the steering wheel diameter from my sedan.

With all that being said, I measured the suede wheel in my '09 sdn. For the grip, I used a cloth measuring tape and I came up with 4.25* inches in circumference.

Eyeballing the overall diameter of the steering wheel (sorry, I don't have a Vernier Caliper that large) I got a diameter of 14.875* inches.
*Disclaimer: My wife's trusty cloth tape has never been calibrated for accuracy and does not have metric capability

Someone else can measure the smooth leather wheel. If there are differences, I'd expect them to be minimal.

Also, my wife assures me, constantly, that bigger is not necessarily better.:(

BigDog001
04-13-12, 08:00 PM
In all probability I have undiagnosed OCD. My dealership gave me a 2012 CTS sedan (nice car even if substantially down on power from my car) while my 2012 CTS V coupe was in for an oil change after its break in period – I guess I am old school.

Now the OCD. My beast has the suede covered steering wheel and 6 MT shifter. The sedan had the leather wrapped steering wheel. I am certain the sedan's steering wheel was smaller in diameter and thicker than my CTS V coupe's.

I have been spoiled by smaller, stickers during wheels as my last two cars have been M3's (E 46 and E 90). Don't think I am not going to the dealership with a cloth measuring tape. However, I wondered if anyone else had the same impression.

I'm going to go lay down on a couch and talk to myself.

Thanks and happy holiday,

Jim

Ok - since I have both steering wheels I just measured them at the top of the wheel they are both basically the same - maybe the leather is 1/8th of an inch more - I kept the leather wheel when in replaced it with the suede one.

Trionalaw
04-20-12, 05:31 PM
Ok - since I have both steering wheels I just measured them at the top of the wheel they are both basically the same - maybe the leather is 1/8th of an inch more - I kept the leather wheel when in replaced it with the suede one.

I'm assuming you are measuring the diameter of the portion of the wheel we grip whatever that is called. I may be the only man on the planet to admit that an eighth of an inch is important to him.

Thanks so much and have a great weekend,

Jim

BigDog001
04-21-12, 06:43 PM
I'm assuming you are measuring the diameter of the portion of the wheel we grip whatever that is called. I may be the only man on the planet to admit that an eighth of an inch is important to him.

Thanks so much and have a great weekend,

Jim

No I measured at dead center at the top of steering wheel ... But it kind of depends where you hold it when you drive ... Any difference I would guess would be the result in the thickness of leather vs the suede ...

tokyoricebaby
04-23-12, 09:37 AM
too thick. leather or suede

4DR_ZR1
04-23-12, 06:09 PM
too thick. leather or suede

I guess that could be an issue

DangFoo
04-26-12, 07:07 PM
I'd love to ditch my suede steering wheel. I bought my 2011 with only 7K miles and the steering wheel looks like some one had dirty hands and grabbed at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions. Nothing I have tried will get the suede looking good; tried the brush and even some very lightly moistened cloth with soap and nada. Any tricks you guys have to keeping the suede wheel looking half-way decent?

Razorecko
05-01-12, 08:25 AM
I'd love to ditch my suede steering wheel. I bought my 2011 with only 7K miles and the steering wheel looks like some one had dirty hands and grabbed at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions. Nothing I have tried will get the suede looking good; tried the brush and even some very lightly moistened cloth with soap and nada. Any tricks you guys have to keeping the suede wheel looking half-way decent?

search is your best friend

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/203298-cleaning-suede-wheel-shiftknob.html