: 80's Fleetwood.....aluminum hood?

lux hauler
11-20-04, 08:15 PM
I've been told that there are aluminum hoods for the 80's body style. Can anyone verify this info? I want to find one for my '84 Coupe. I checked an '83 Fleetwood at the junkyard today. That hood was steel but there's no way to really tell if that hood was original to the car.

Thanks!!

Night Wolf
11-20-04, 08:49 PM
I have heard about that too.... maybe it is only the commercial chassis?

having the lighter hood is nice... but.... it takes away from the sheer mass of the car :(

lux hauler
11-20-04, 09:36 PM
I have heard about that too.... maybe it is only the commercial chassis?

having the lighter hood is nice... but.... it takes away from the sheer mass of the car :(
I was told they were on the Fleetwood models. They might have been used on commercials too.

FASSTWOOD
11-20-04, 10:31 PM
Wow I never knew that. You learn somthing new every day...

Night Wolf
11-21-04, 01:09 AM
well, if you go to a junkyard... or even see an old car... quick way to tell is.... while the car is rusted out, the hood will be like new :)

Although saving some weight on these cars is great in general... they are insanly front heavy, so any weight off the front end would be even better....

I'll keep my steel hood though... I like like showing friends "look, you can press on the middle of the hood and..... it dosn't move" plus I just like the mass of it... I am kinda wierd that way :)

brougham
11-21-04, 01:50 AM
I never heard anything about an aluminum hood before. I wonder if it's really true.

luddyludwick
11-21-04, 02:21 AM
Actually,

I'm not sure about the 80's FWBs, but interestingly enough, some of the '77-'79 FWBs used aluminum hoods (especially if they were California cars). This was to keep the weight down to duck some sort of tax, I believe...you'll have to check my facts, though :)

lux hauler
11-21-04, 03:10 AM
Actually,

I'm not sure about the 80's FWBs, but interestingly enough, some of the '77-'79 FWBs used aluminum hoods (especially if they were California cars). This was to keep the weight down to duck some sort of tax, I believe...you'll have to check my facts, though :)
I do know for a fact that some of the 77-79 models had aluminum hoods. The later ones were supposed to have been offered on Cali cars and diesels, if I remember correctly.....?

HotRodSaint
11-21-04, 11:44 AM
I'm jealous.

lux hauler
11-21-04, 12:40 PM
I'm jealous.
You're jealous? You live in the state that most of these aluminum-hooded cars were shipped to. Chances of me finding one in good shape are slim....there aren't too many 80's diesels left around here.

evilrussian
11-21-04, 01:00 PM
Wow, interesting info... If I ever come across one, I'm getting it!

davesdeville
11-22-04, 06:53 PM
A is for Aluminum.

HotRodSaint
11-22-04, 09:45 PM
You're jealous? You live in the state that most of these aluminum-hooded cars were shipped to.

Even if I found 100 of them, they are useless to me. :disappoin

lux hauler
11-22-04, 10:47 PM
Even if I found 100 of them, they are useless to me. :disappoin
You could ship one to me....then you'd only have 99 useless hunks of aluminum. :)
Thanks for that info, Dave. Do you happen to know what year car that hood is from?

davesdeville
11-22-04, 11:21 PM
78 - I didn't even know any were available from 80 on.

lux hauler
11-23-04, 04:52 PM
78 - I didn't even know any were available from 80 on.
I was told they were.... :confused:
I've never seen one myself but, until now, have never really had any reason to look for one.

ferrisworld
09-03-12, 08:46 PM
Digging this back up since I've seen a few people asking about it on other threads. I was at picknpull this weekend here in Sacramento, and they had a 1980 Sedan Deville with, yep, an aluminum hood, so they do exist. I think if you guys want them California cars are going to be more likely to have them so you'll have to come out here to get one, and I think 1980-1981 are going to be the only years for them. I'll check more ht4100 cars when I get the chance, but I figure they probably didn't bother since the 4100 was so light on it's own. There's also two 1978 Sedan Devilles at two other picknpulls with Aluminum hoods that I saw.

csbuckn
09-04-12, 12:14 AM
I need that hood...

cadillac kevin
09-04-12, 12:36 AM
I wish I could find one of those hoods here.

csbuckn
09-04-12, 12:39 AM
Did the hood have an A on it like the pic above shows?

The-Dullahan
09-04-12, 02:39 AM
Even if I found 100 of them, they are useless to me.

Same here. They fit my car, but in about 99.9% of possible scenarios, I prefer steel to aluminium. I occasionally hear people mention the weight difference. If I cared, I would not have thirteen batteries, a casket or a rollcage in my Cadillac and would have never started out with something like that to begin with.

Besides, I hear all the little fartcan Hondas at the track talk about their carbon fibre hoods. That's so adorable. My Pontiac weighs as much as their car twice and I can seldom, if ever, get them to put money down on a race.

However, if it's really that important to some people though, I may be able to find one. Wouldn't hurt to look. Is there any specific year or whatnot to look for?

The-Dullahan
09-04-12, 02:41 AM
Double Post from Hades.

ferrisworld
09-04-12, 03:54 AM
If you read my previous post I suggest looking for 1980 - 1981 Devilles and Fleetwoods originally sold in California. It had the A. I didn't think to look until I bumped my head on it, and it didn't react the way I thought it would have. Then I looked for the A, and sure enough there it was. There's a 1980 Fleetwood diesel at another location, but I'm not sure if diesels were sold in California much, or even if they were, if they would have had the A hood. Didn't think to check when I was there though.

carnut
09-05-12, 11:17 AM
My friends 78 Sedan DeVille has an aluminum hood. I believe the hood hinge springs are weaker as well. Its a California car.