: Mileage estimates

hotrodstang
04-05-12, 11:46 PM
Hi ! I am a newby to this forum. I recently sold my wife,s 2004 escalade and bought her a 2007 Black AWD loaded 45000 mile
escalade. Real nice car. In her 2004 she got about 310 miles per tank. This 07 is getting like 200? It showes 7.8 mpg average.

Now my wife and I are in our 50,s and the car is driven as easy as possible so I am assuming something is wrong. I have checked the air cleaner its new and the local dealer told her its running fine. Its for sure not because it is driven hard.

I am a drag racer and do most of my own mechanical stuff but this has me baffled??? The best average miles has been about 10.5 and now its 7.8 and yes that is in town driving. I thought these were suppose to get 13 - 19 mpg.

If this is normal just let me know or if anybody has any ideas please help!!! Much Thanks !!!

krieghoff
04-06-12, 12:34 AM
Something is wrong for sure! I tow an enclosed 14' trailer with my 2008 ESV and if I set the cruise at 65 I get 9.0 to 9.2!

On the interstate without the trailer I get 17!

quattrotman
04-06-12, 02:11 AM
Maybe she just loves the extra power and isnt telling you :)

I never ever get more than 400km (250 miles a tank) and there's nothing wrong with mine. I do live in a hilly area but these things are just thirsty. It does much better on the highway but city driving is pretty bad.

hcvone
04-06-12, 07:41 AM
I drive fast, I have had a ton of these new Escalade's, I get 11-11.2 in the city, pre 2010 18-20 on the highway, 2010-2012 20-26 on the highway, a lot of tuning and cylinder deactivation. ;) This has been the same on every one so far. :)

patmack
04-06-12, 09:20 AM
WOW something is wrong for sure... hcvone, How do you get 20-26? I understand the 2010+ have the cylinder deactivation but what else have you done?

48Dodge
04-06-12, 12:48 PM
Check and clean the throttle body and MAF. That plus plugs helped bump mine up a couple mpgs. Mine is especially low when warming up in the morning and very short trips. I'll get as low as 9mpg. Up to 20 on the hwy at 77mph so I know it's capable of decent mileage. I keep my tires pumped up to 40psi. Idling seems to use quite a bit more fuel than I would expect.

hotrodstang
04-06-12, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the input !1 I will clean the TB and put in some new plugs and see if that helps. I also agree that it seems to use a lot
of fuel while idling. We all know we didn,t buy these for their mileage but it should at least be reasonable. Lots of air noise from the drivers side rear door also
and the Dealer says 500.00 for new rubber. WTF I will try and fix myself. Also from what I can find there is no fuel filter to be changed??? That seems wrong for a fuel injected engine imho. My LS-7 has one and at 25000 miles it was totally clogged. 100 Micron paper That I installed. Here in SoCal I think we pay more for crap fuel! LOL! Its kinda like the sunshine tax!!:cool:

PeteKT
04-06-12, 02:01 PM
I have a 2008 and when i fill up i get 425-475 depending on if ive been driving more highway or not.

Mr Monte
04-06-12, 04:59 PM
My 07 Escalade with 86k miles get 12-16mpg city/hilly backroads depending how I drive. Hwy has been 18-21(with 6 people & some luggage). I tend to get to speed rather quickly then I'm gentle with the gas peddle & use the brakes as little as possible.

I would check to see if your e-brake is sticking.

hotrodstang
04-06-12, 07:15 PM
I am going to check everything out tomorrow and will report back with the findings.
It seems to idle a bit rough but the local dealer says that's normal. Probably plugs but
its only got 45000 miles and I know the original owners and they took very good care of it
so ?? I am going to put it on a lift and check it out. Thanks for the input!!!![COLOR="Silver"]

----------

hotrodstang
04-07-12, 07:11 PM
Here is a quick follow up of what I did today. Removed intake track and clean throttlebody and mass air. Already had a new filter.
Did the injector cleaning deal where you pour one bottle in the fuel tank and run one thru the motor. Hooked up the scanner, no check engine lite on,
had about 8 codes from lean left bank to mass air flow to who knows what. Tried to clear them nothing doing! Unhooked the battery for a few minuets same result ??? Might be a bad computer ?? Take it ti the dealer on Tuesday but all I have is the powertrain warranty. I am going to take it to my buddys smog shop on Monday and see how its burning. Bad I hope cause then they have to fix it for smog reasons. Will keep updating as I go.

Punmax
04-08-12, 03:27 AM
Post the codes.

hotrodstang
04-08-12, 01:37 PM
I would but they are on my friends scanner. There was one doe the mass air sensor one for a lean condition plus 6 more.
Will try and post tomorrow.

hotrodstang
04-09-12, 08:41 PM
Well all the codes are old codes and no one knows why they will not clear. It passes Ca smog with flying colors. Its getting about 10 mpg in town and that is better than7.8!!! It is what it is. Thanks to all who gave their input!!

JHC828
04-12-12, 09:52 PM
That sure seems low. I avg. about 11 with mostly city driving with a HEAVY foot and heavy 26" rims... I thought my mileage was bad.

48Dodge
04-12-12, 10:05 PM
Just did a quick experiment on a long trip today. On somewhat flat ground at 77 with cruise on I got 17.4mpg. Taking cruise off I got 18.9mpg. When i started hitting larger hills (foothills of SC) I got 16.1 MPG w/ cruise and 17.7mpg w/o cruise. Did it for 10 minute stretches. With cruise off I did what I could to keep it from kicking down gears, usually only dropped down to 73 at the least.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2