: Melted Engine Harness

dafoo102
04-04-12, 05:07 PM
All,

Part question, part FYI. Recently I was driving when my 07 V shuddered enough for me to check instruments. I noticed that the Tach was at 0 rpm. The engine was still running so I wasn't entirely sure what was going on. I decided to key cycle at a stop light and was greeted by hard starting. Long story short. After checking codes when I got home I had a 335 crank sensor fault and decided to venture to the dealership for the remaining two months of powertrain warranty.

Turns out, there is a wiring harness that runs near the starter and exhaust manifold. That harness it turns out melted and caused multiple communication failures. Crank and Knock sensor at the minimum were non-responsive. I have not viewed the repair so I cannot be sure if the harness was mis-routed / poorly shielded / or if it was misplaced by previous service. The vehicle is stock so there is no concern with aftermarket parts causing the harness melting. In my opinion a melted harness is one step away from a burned car. So I feel that it is/was a safety hazard. Especially when you consider that the harness is near the starter. With high current available any number of bad things could have happened.

My dealership has worked well with me to get this work done and replace other items under warranty. This harness repair however is not covered by powertrain warranty.

So my caution to everyone is to check to make sure your vehicle harness isn't melting.

My questions are, has anyone else had this problem in the past? Was this a one time condition or are there a number of historical problems with the harness melting in this location? I did call the Cadillac customer service and had them investigate and enter a claim so that the issue would be documented though Cadillac and not just the dealer. Is there any avenues I should investigate to be sure this work isn't covered or compensated?

Thanks for your insight,
Chris

CancerJCC
04-05-12, 10:58 AM
Although not stock whisler had part of his engine harness melted by his headers.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/192519-damn-headers.html

The clearance back there isn't much but that is hard to swallow on a stock car. Perhaps someone had it modded with headers or something and had the harness moved around? Ever have the transmission out or anything?

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-05-12, 11:50 AM
dafoo102, thank you very much for sharing and I hope you receive the feedback you're seeking from this community. I was very sorry to read you've experienced these frustrations and am glad you've already been in touch with our Cadillac Customer Service team. If you'd ever like me to follow-up with your case or investigate on your behalf, feel free to send me an email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

dafoo102
04-06-12, 08:16 AM
CancerJCC, Katie, All

Thanks for your help. I have the car back and looking forward to a sunny weekend of driving so hopefully I'll forget all about the trouble. As I looked into it farther it would appear that quite often there are wiring problems in this area. Numerous people with stock cars have had problems with the starter signal wire and the starter solenoid failing at less than 50k miles due to connector or wiring melting.

I believe there is a good picture in the thread that was linked to of the problem area. The wiring harness travels down along the valve cover then curls down around to the back of the starter. Not only is the exhaust manifold right there, the Catalytic Converter is in the area, and there certainly wont be much airflow if a vehicle is subject to low speed driving that far back in the engine bay and low behind the motor mounts. Its basically the perfect storm for wire melting.

It is frustrating that it was stock, Had I installed headers I likely would have seen this trouble area, or have read of previous owners troubles with it. Hopefully we can get the word out to check during oil changes or something so that we don't continue to see this problem.

thanks,
Chris

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-06-12, 01:21 PM
Many thanks for the updated feedback, dafoo102. I have documented your feedback and also hope you're able to enjoy the weekend driving!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service