: Clarification on Nav Disks

DAC CTSV
04-04-12, 12:00 PM
Hello All. Before I get into too much trouble, I do promise that I tried to find the information I am asking about in the previous posts about the Nav systems and the upgrades, but I find that a lot of the posts about the firmware, the firmware upgrades, and how the nav software is updated are a bit confusing and contradictory. Any experts on the subject that could chime in and clarify the questions below would earn my complete gratitude!

Is there the possibility of the need to update the firmware in my '06 before updating the disk? Am I correct that this was only on the older V's? I know I have never experienced the "stuck in montana" glitch or whatever that was...

Am I correct that any Telematics disk for a newer model car using telematics would work in the Nav system? I believe that Nissan and Infinity are both know to work? Also, again, will I know if my firmware if up tot the task?

I have seen (not here) people reference the "2010 3D" upgrade for our telematics nav systems. Is this the same as updating the nav disk? Is this the firmware update? Is this something completely different?

Again, thank you for any help you can provide. I am very interested in doing something to update my software, as the old (original) disk I have has been getting more creative and ridiculous in the routes it has planned, and while I do not expect it to operate to the standards of a brand new nav system, I would like to try and get it to be slightly more functional than it currently is.

Thanks!

lilred
04-04-12, 03:57 PM
I too share some of your questions and I recently reviewed all the nav threads as well. As far as I can tell, this is the latest and cheapest version of the map update that will work in the 04-07 V's:

Nissan Nav update (http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NissanNorthAmerica-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=6xcKCghBLnYAAAEksOcDsuPE&ShowAllProducts=YES&PersistNavigationMenu=YES)

CancerJCC
04-05-12, 08:09 PM
You will need the firmware update IF you get the stuck in MI after popping in an updated nav disc. I have no idea what years it affects.

Also I am also fairly certain the Nissan discs are the same but can't say with 100% certainty.

Lastly I updated mine via ls1tech around last year and still NEVER use the navigation because it is so clunky and terrible.

mstrjon32
04-06-12, 01:50 AM
FWIW, I tried a Nissan 6.X series disc for Europe in my car, and it won't work no matter what I try. The file structure looks the same on the disk, and it SHOULD work...but no dice. I spent a lot of money trying to get the terrible nav system working, and it still doesn't...so the Garmin remains stuck to the window.

Aurora40
04-08-12, 04:14 PM
I bought the Nissan 6.9 disc, works perfectly. Supposedly the xm traffic won't work, but I have no way to confirm that, and never will.

For the euro discs, I wonder if the firmware of the nav unit is different, or if they didn't have nav? gmnavdisc.com doesn't show any EU maps available for the 1st gen CTS.

mstrjon32
04-08-12, 05:44 PM
They did have nav (and even had a TV tuner), but I'm thinking the firmware is trivially different such that you need it in order to make the European discs work. The nav system is terrible anyway so it's no huge loss, but it would have been nice to at least have it working as a backup.