: Replacing 1976 Eldorado distributor with an MSD

cullen747
04-03-12, 10:05 PM
Hey Everybody, I have a 76' eldorado and ive been having a few issues with my distributor and i was wondering if anybody has tried or would recommend putting an MSD Distributor in instead of just replacing the stock one

cadillac_al
04-04-12, 06:48 PM
It would be brand new and should be reliable, but I don't know if you will realize any performance benefit from it. You can buy nice new distributors for almost any other American V8 for pretty cheap, but not the Cadillac. I think a good used one would work just as well but I wouldn't pay more than $50-60 for one. Yours could be rebuilt/refurbished fairly cheap if there isn't a lot of slop in it. Most mechanics know how to work on them too so it shouldn't cost a lot to get one worked on. If money is no object, the MSD dist should work fine though.

cullen747
04-04-12, 08:15 PM
Thankyou for your opinion, yeah the engine itself doesnt have a lot of potential stock because of all the emission control systems on it, but eventually i want to put new heads on it and run duel exhaust, ill get performance but i wanna keep it a cruiser like it should be

Roadmaster75
04-05-12, 12:38 PM
I have installed 5 or 6 MSD systems incl. a big block 455 Buick.
In all cases there was substantial improvement in fuel economy as well
as noticeably quicker starting. If the budget allows I'd pop for the
matching MSD billet distributor. I've found their stuff to be bulletproof
over the years and their customer service very helpful.
Besides .... Made in USA, too

cullen747
04-05-12, 10:18 PM
Thank you roadmaster, im going to look into it right now, i was on MSD's website earlier and they did not have distributors that matched the 76' eldorado
though, do your MSD's have vacumn advance?

1970CadillacCalais
04-10-12, 08:44 AM
Well on my 70 Cadillac I went to a later year electronic ignition system. All I did was buy a used distributor off a Cadillac and buy a rebuild kit from Summit Racing. Cost $60 for the kit and it included everything. Couldn't be happier. Just try buying a kit for yours and you should be fine.