: Product Review: RevExtreme oil catch can 3.6 DI

Wag-O-Neer
04-03-12, 05:05 PM
As we know, GMs solution to the oil ingestion problem on the 3.6DI, was to cast a small sump in the neck of the intake manifold. As part of your scheduled maintenance, you're asked to perform an upper intake cleaning. I'm not sure what that entails, but wouldn't it be better to just stop the oil ingestion problem, at it's source?

Enter the RevExtreme oil catch can for the 3.6DI. The product came packaged well, contained the can, a length of hose, bracket an bolts, and instructions. Certainly looks and feels to be a quality part, IMO.

I attached mine to the post that holds down the engine cover on the passenger side. After mounting the can, I followed the directions on where to cut the PCV tube between the passenger side valve cover and the inlet on the intake manifold. It really couldn't have been any easier. There's really not much to say here other than everyone should be running a catch can.

Here's my intake manifold at 30K miles...

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t112/clickit_photo/2bd1a14e.jpg

Here's how I mounted mine, and ran the tubing. The part of tubing that runs from the valve cover to the inlet side of can, I ended re-routing. As you can see in the following pic, it makes the engine cover fit poorly. I went ahead and routed it under the manifold and it's much better.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t112/clickit_photo/cc75bd6d.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t112/clickit_photo/98d18332.jpg

^^^^ I promise, after re-routing that second tube under the manifold, it doesn't look that bad anymore. Just wanted to show that the cover does fit with the can mounted here.

Jagillac
04-04-12, 08:07 PM
I want to get this but my only concern is that my car is still under warranty and their maintenance program. Will it void warranty and will I have problems taking my car to the dealer for servicing? :-S

spind
04-04-12, 08:32 PM
As we know, GMs solution to the oil ingestion problem on the 3.6DI, was to cast a small sump in the neck of the intake manifold. As part of your scheduled maintenance, you're asked to perform an upper intake cleaning. I'm not sure what that entails, but wouldn't it be better to just stop the oil ingestion problem, at it's source?.

Where did you find this maintenance requirement? It is not listed in my 2011 CTS manual.

Wag-O-Neer
04-04-12, 10:59 PM
When I took my 2010 in for a recall, the service advisor mentioned it to me, when I asked about the DI motor design, and it's inability to keep the valves clean.

Maybe it's one of those recommended, but optional services?

sfv41901
04-05-12, 12:17 AM
Its their way to rake In more money.

I do agree however that we all should be running this catch can. I know I'm gonna get mine soon along with the intake space & T/B.....just ordered the tune :cloud9:

SC2150
04-09-12, 12:25 PM
On a traditional port fuel injection, or even a carburated motor the fuel mixture is introdued into the intake ports so fuels with cleaning additives such as Shell, Mobile, etc. as the fuel mixture travels past the intake vales the additives help prevent the "gunk" buoldup and loosed current build up. With a DI motor the fuel is introduced directly into the combustion chamber so the additives have no effect so the deposits build up very quickly having a negative effect on volumetric efficiency. The more gunk buildup, the less efficient the motor is thus less power & poor fuel economy.

An upper induction cleaning service like Sea Foam will loosen deposits so they can be expelled out the exhaist, but I dont like hard deposit particles getting trapped between the piston/cylinder and causing scouring (probably not a big concern, but it is still a worry). Using a properly functioning oil separating catchcan will eliminate the ingestion and thus deposit buildup is just from the fuel used and is little to none.

The DI motors are awesome for power, economy, etc. but this is an unintended consequence.

Lockhart
04-14-12, 07:45 PM
Thanks for these pictures, I'll be ordering my catch can soon......

Dano636
04-19-12, 10:03 PM
How much does it cost? And where did you buy the catch can from?
I went to revxtreme.com and the site is down... Is it sold somewhere else?

SC2150
04-20-12, 10:31 AM
The site is down while the e-commerce portion is finished.

To order, PayPal: RXProducts@aol.com

$139 plus $15 S&H and add $39 for the breather kit.

Make sure to specify the make/model/year/motor/mods/and Polished or painted the color you choose.

:thumbsup:

Michael_atDell
04-20-12, 11:01 PM
The site is down while the e-commerce portion is finished.

To order, PayPal: RXProducts@aol.com

$139 plus $15 S&H and add $39 for the breather kit.

Make sure to specify the make/model/year/motor/mods/and Polished or painted the color you choose.

Breather kit? I didn't have that option when I checked out....

SC2150
04-21-12, 11:08 AM
Just email me at: RXProducts@aol.com and I'll give you details.

shmiddy
04-21-12, 03:52 PM
Just got my RX can and isolator yesterday.. gunna install tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes

SC2150
04-21-12, 03:57 PM
The instructions I know are not the best so any feedback on how to write them better is welcome. :thumbsup:

SC2150
04-26-12, 08:13 PM
To order, call direct: 727-422-0076 or email: RXProducts@aol.com

PayPal is down right now.

cracing
05-17-12, 09:22 PM
installed mine not to long ago and have to say works perfect. no leaks and looks cadillac quality.