: Tips on installing Kooks Long Tube Headers?

WVESV
04-03-12, 10:40 AM
i am getting ready to dive into the install of a new set of Kooks long tube headers and their catted y-pipe on my 07 ESV. How hard of an install is this and are there any gotchas I should be aware of? I have heard I will need to have the O2 codes tuned out...will it run okay until this is done?

hcvone
04-03-12, 10:53 AM
i am getting ready to dive into the install of a new set of Kooks long tube headers and their catted y-pipe on my 07 ESV. How hard of an install is this and are there any gotchas I should be aware of? I have heard I will need to have the O2 codes tuned out...will it run okay until this is done?

I had Kooks on my 08' and 11', no problems, well made, I used the O2 sensors, first install was about 6 hours, the second was probably 4 hours, did on lift at shop, replaced wires and plugs and put on wire protection. Have ARH on the 12' with the supercharger because of an ordering problem, have used them before (ARH American Racing Headers), they are another good long tube header

WVESV
04-03-12, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the reply. I had also planned on replacing the plugs and wires at the same time but had not thought about using wire protection. What did you use? Also, did you use anti-seize on the bolts? Did you use the gaskets that came with the headers? Did it throw codes after the install?

Longhorn79
04-03-12, 12:38 PM
I just had ARH and a Corsa Touring exhaust installed and now I'm getting almost a hissing sound when accelerating. Also, after about 10 miles it threw the check engine light so I am getting back into the shop this week. I was told most likely it would be the O2 and they would have to disable the code. With issues less than a week after install I'm second-guessing my decision, but we'll see what happens.

Good luck on the install!!!

hcvone
04-03-12, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the reply. I had also planned on replacing the plugs and wires at the same time but had not thought about using wire protection. What did you use? Also, did you use anti-seize on the bolts? Did you use the gaskets that came with the headers? Did it throw codes after the install?

No codes at all, we have cars shipped in from all over the country to tune Dale Cherry is one of the best in the country, does a lot for the salt flat racers
http://www.injection-connection.com/HomePage.htm
Used Taylor boot protectors
http://www.pfyc.com/GN3006.html
Used APC fasteners for the header bolts, and Fel-Pro gaskets I believe, yes used antiseize with aluminum heads

WVESV
04-03-12, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the info. So, installing the headers and the catted y-pipe won't generate any codes? I thought I had read some where it would. Well, if it doesn't...that would be great.

2007XTSDub
04-03-12, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the info. So, installing the headers and the catted y-pipe won't generate any codes? I thought I had read some where it would. Well, if it doesn't...that would be great.

Its when u install the catless y pipe you need to get programming

hcvone
04-03-12, 05:33 PM

If everything is put back together correctly you should have no codes with the kooks y-pipe cats

d_v_o_1
04-03-12, 05:35 PM
The catted Y-pipe from kooks has the bung code, un-catted does not from what I understand.

WVESV
04-03-12, 06:31 PM
Can anyone recommend a brand and part number of locking fastners to use? I can't seem to find the correct Stage 8 or APC part number to order.

hcvone
04-04-12, 07:51 AM
Can anyone recommend a brand and part number of locking fastners to use? I can't seem to find the correct Stage 8 or APC part number to order.

My letters were wrong, but then again I am old, it's ARP header bolts, and you can get them in SS

WVESV
04-04-12, 10:53 AM
Thanks, any comments on using Stage 8 over ARP? Do you happen to remember what Felpro gasket you used...this is turning out to be kinda difficult to find.

hcvone
04-04-12, 11:08 AM
Thanks, any comments on using Stage 8 over ARP? Do you happen to remember what Felpro gasket you used...this is turning out to be kinda difficult to find.

ARP bolts are stronger than grade 8, I will get numbers on the gaskets

WVESV
04-04-12, 11:23 AM
Thanks. What number was the ARP bolts you used? I went to their website and they don't show a bolt kit that will work. They show a stud kit but not sure I want to use that.

hcvone
04-10-12, 05:25 PM
Sorry we were away for my birthday, use the stock exhaust gaskets, they are very good and easy to get, I believe the header bolts are 8mm diameter x 1 1/4 long if I remember correctly, stage 8's are what we put in today