: Escilade electric hood lock...

Nice Ride
04-03-12, 06:22 AM
Anyone interested in an electric hood lock to protect access to your engine area? I am testing out a few products to see what will work best to use stand alone or to connect to an aftermarket alarm like Clifford etc. . The good ol days of a Chapman cable hood lock are gone... Loging to do a very clean install and keep it looking as factory as possible. ( I know if they really want your ride, they can just tow it ). I'm talking about a little bit of additional peace of mind. Once they pop the hood, cut the battery cable ( they do ) they can now play in silence... No horn blaring, on star will be dead in a matter of minutes... Etc. the reason I am asking, if there is interest, I will document and take photos etc. for anyone else who is interested.
Any ideas / suggestions are welcome..

K9Caddy
04-03-12, 07:08 AM
Be advised, if you look over the right front fender well, you can see the battery cable run to the starter solenoid. No need to open the hood, just bring a pair of wire cutters and you're done in seconds.

Maybe you can engineer a cover that goes over that area, that would help.

hcvone
04-03-12, 07:42 AM
There is a contact for the hood, if it is opened the alarm will go off, but as most know if you take a large screwdriver and hammer it thru the battery it will kill the battery in an instant, and they can break in or steal it.

Nice Ride
04-03-12, 10:10 AM
Be advised, if you look over the right front fender well, you can see the battery cable run to the starter solenoid. No need to open the hood, just bring a pair of wire cutters and you're done in seconds.

I'm pretty sure on the 2009, there is a second + cable that goes directly to the fuse harness over the top of the engine. Also, if you have a second battery, the cable can be run over the top also.

Feed back is welcome. :)

----------

There is a contact for the hood, if it is opened the alarm will go off, but as most know if you take a large screwdriver and hammer it thru the battery it will kill the battery in an instant, and they can break in or steal it.

Again, there are ways to " help protect " from many ways to steal your ride. You are correct the alarm will go off, but a quick snip and she is as silent as a sleeping baby...

hcvone
04-03-12, 10:57 AM
I work with a repo guy, he could take your car while you are paying for gas and you would never see it disappear, I guess I am lucky, no one wants an Escalade where I live

krieghoff
04-03-12, 11:46 AM
If they want it they will get it. Locks only keep the honest people out!

Nice Ride
05-29-12, 12:20 AM

Not so, that goes to the starter, on the 09 at least, there is another positive cable that goes to the fuse box.