: Help Ipad and Forum

Nice Ride
04-03-12, 06:03 AM
I am using the iPad app to log in to the forum. Can anyone tell me how to go directly to a page where I left off. I want to go to the escalade 2007 + area. It always brings me to the first 30 listing. To make matters worse, when I finally slide through all 900 lines to get me back to where I left off, after about a half hour, the app just closes on its own and I have to start over again.

Thanks!!!

TerrBear
04-03-12, 11:04 AM
I can get there on two taps with the app on my android phone. Current cadillacs and then escalade.

The Tony Show
04-03-12, 06:03 PM
Try choosing "forums" at the bottom of the app display- sounds to me like you're browsing in the "Current" section.

RippyPartsDept
04-03-12, 06:25 PM
i like to use the new forum app
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cadillac-forums/id488277096?mt=8
it will be right where you were when you come back to it
(just like most other apps)

----------

wait, are you talking about using the new app or tapatalk app? or browsing to the forums via safari?
i guess i assumed you were talking about using safari

MacMuse
04-03-12, 07:33 PM
I use the Subscribe option for my primary areas of interest. Then hit the Subscribed button on startup and you're in to your key areas.

I use the Cadillac Forums specific app, but the subscribed option works the same way in Tapatalk.

Nice Ride
04-04-12, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the feedback.... Still no luck. I have the app for the iPad. When I open the app, it logs me in. Then I do click on the bottom left, Forum, then I choose Escilade, then 2007+, then it brings me to # 33 of the x thousand threads. I have read through about the 1st 1200, subscribed to the ones that interest me. But then for no reason, doing nothing specific, poof..... The app will close, and I'm back to thread #33 of xxx when i re open the app. The weird thing is, every time I sneak the iPad away from my 9 year old, I double click, tap on the app I left open, and it will stay where I left off if I close the app with the iPad button. I am able to reopen the app, by double clicking on the home button, and 90% of the time it is where I left off. So I continue reading through say another few pages of threads, but then it will happen, poof... The app closes and I'm back to square one. So what I do is re open the app, back to forum etc, sweep to the end of the threads, then hit next page, then sweep to the end and so on until I get back to thread 1,000 ... I am trying to read through all of he threads...
Signed,
Stranded on my daughters iPad....

P.s. I close all open apps, and restart the iPad , but no change....

The Tony Show
04-04-12, 11:48 AM
Your forum settings are probably set to load 30 threads per load, so you're not actually viewing thread #33- what you're seeing at the top is that it's showing you a list of the first 33 threads of 6,561 total threads existing in that forum, starting with the one most recently commented in.

The crashing is common behavior for iPad 1s running the newer iOS version, not a problem with the app. Happens to me all the time, and certain websites or apps exacerbate the problem. Apple claims clearing your history and cookies helps, but it doesn't- we're basically at the point where the older iPads are unable to run newer iOS versions and remain stable, kind of like trying to run Windows 7 on an old single core PC with 1gb RAM. Read more here (http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-1-forum/63353-ipad-apps-crashing-more-more.html)

My best advice is to subscribe to threads you want to read later or follow, then access them by using the "more" tab in the bottom right of the app to pull them back up without scrolling through 6,500 posts.

RippyPartsDept
04-04-12, 12:58 PM
macmuse, that's basically how i operate also... i don't usually browse to threads i'm not involved in on the mobile devices ... i leave that for the PC use while at work and bored

JimmyH
04-04-12, 01:46 PM
The app crashes on the Ipad2 with IOS5 for me. As do alot of other apps. Happens on my iphone 3gs and iphone 4s as well.

IOS is great and easy to use, but it's about as stable as a house of cards.

RippyPartsDept
04-04-12, 01:50 PM
i get crashes every once in a while on my iPad2 also.. but usually after it has been open in the background for a while (days) and then i come back to it and it opens then crashes ... usually no problems after i close it then open it again

Nice Ride
04-04-12, 07:31 PM
Yup.... iPad 2 here.... That is the exact problem. It would be nice if there was a fix for the app, the threads load fast and I find less clutter than the pc app. Possibly they can make a setting in the login to save your spot.

Thanks for all the great feedback!!!

The Tony Show
04-05-12, 10:21 AM
Since it's an Apple problem and not a CF App problem, I doubt there's anything the app makers can do to fix it. Every single app I have sends you back to the main page once the app closes (especially if it crashes) and you log back in, so I don't even see any way they could if they wanted to.

Nice Ride
04-05-12, 08:37 PM
They can add a go to thread # as one option possibly.

The Tony Show
04-06-12, 08:01 PM
Thread numbers change based on how recently they've been replied to. The thread that's #26 right now will be bumped to #27 once any other thread is replied to and moves back to #1.