: Just Quoted $1900 to Replace Oil Pan

silverado_nolan
04-02-12, 10:52 AM
So I recently discovered that my V has been leaking oil, frustrating. I took it in to a dealer type shop and they found out that it is the oil pan itself that is the problem apparently. They are quoting me a decent price on the oil pan ($145) but that leaves me with $1800 for labor. They quoted 12 hours of labor to pull the engine.

I'm upset, not really sure what I should do here. Someone please tell me if this is at all unreasonable to take 12 hours, at $150/hr to pull an LS7 out of a cadillac.

Thanks for your time guys,
Nolan

lollygagger8
04-02-12, 11:03 AM
Good Lord!!!

I know they have to pull the cradle to get the engine out, so it may be that the manual calls for 12 hours.

Darkman to the rescue in 3...2...1....

Twitch
04-02-12, 11:07 AM
I didn't think the LS7 had an oil pan.

Andringa
04-02-12, 11:16 AM
$150/hr seems like a lot depending on where you are. Local dealer rates are right around $100/hr, but I'm in Wisconsin.

darkman
04-02-12, 12:30 PM
So I recently discovered that my V has been leaking oil, frustrating. I took it in to a dealer type shop and they found out that it is the oil pan itself that is the problem apparently. They are quoting me a decent price on the oil pan ($145) but that leaves me with $1800 for labor. They quoted 12 hours of labor to pull the engine.

I'm upset, not really sure what I should do here. Someone please tell me if this is at all unreasonable to take 12 hours, at $150/hr to pull an LS7 out of a cadillac.

Thanks for your time guys,
Nolan

The Standard flat rate allowance to remove and replace the oil pan on a CTS-V is 9.9 hours. The rate per hour, of course, varies from area to area and from shop to shop.

silverado_nolan
04-02-12, 02:06 PM
Thanks a lot darkman. I appreciate it.

RADEoN
04-02-12, 08:14 PM
Good Lord!!!

I know they have to pull the cradle to get the engine out, so it may be that the manual calls for 12 hours.

Darkman to the rescue in 3...2...1....

I don't think that's true. Not 100 percent sure, but I'm pretty sure you unbolt the bell housing, motor mounts, radiator, air intake, pull the motor forward with a hoist to get the input shaft out of the clutch and flywheel, and pull forward and up.

pato
04-02-12, 10:04 PM
You wouldn't be willing to do it yourself?
Off topic, how does the car drive with the LS7? I imagine it's a lot of fun.
And if you don't mind me asking, what kind of fuel mileage do you get?

alradco
04-03-12, 12:26 AM
That's unreal. But why is it leaking in the first place? Is that the only alternative to pull the motor?

Peter