: Manual Transmission Stuck in Neutral on Highway. Will not shift.

Unitedcnf
04-02-12, 08:57 AM
2012 CTS-V Coupe with 6,433 miles

At 6,433 miles, the coupe decided it did not want to stay in gear. The parking brake light came on and then the stick shift popped into neutral and the car would not go into gear. Luckily we rolled into a break down lane at a construction site as the car came to a halt. It was a miracle we were not hit from the rear. Below is my history with Vs since 2008:

2009 CTS-V Sedan: lasted 19,000 miles before the engine was replaced and Cadillac bought back the car and I purchased a 2012 CTS-V coupe

2007 CTS-V Sedan: Lasted 50,000 miles with numerous factory and Mallet (aftermarket package) issues before trade in. Had a Mallet package which was garbage so I cannot blame Cadillac completely.

I cannot express my disappointment with the quality of the vehicles. Image has taken over for sound mechanics. My Camaro Z28s and BMWs never had these issues so early on.

I called my Cadillac rep who handled the buyback. I am curious what his reaction will be.

Rockey
04-02-12, 09:19 AM
Man, if wasn't for bad luck you would have none at all. I feel bad for you and can understand your disappointment.

Does it go into gear with the motor off?

Unitedcnf
04-02-12, 10:47 AM
No. It will not start ot go into gear. It is at the dealership right now.

SecretWeapon
04-02-12, 11:01 AM
Subscribed.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-02-12, 12:14 PM
2012 CTS-V Coupe with 6,433 miles

At 6,433 miles, the coupe decided it did not want to stay in gear. The parking brake light came on and then the stick shift popped into neutral and the car would not go into gear. Luckily we rolled into a break down lane at a construction site as the car came to a halt. It was a miracle we were not hit from the rear. Below is my history with Vs since 2008:

2009 CTS-V Sedan: lasted 19,000 miles before the engine was replaced and Cadillac bought back the car and I purchased a 2012 CTS-V coupe

2007 CTS-V Sedan: Lasted 50,000 miles with numerous factory and Mallet (aftermarket package) issues before trade in. Had a Mallet package which was garbage so I cannot blame Cadillac completely.

I cannot express my disappointment with the quality of the vehicles. Image has taken over for sound mechanics. My Camaro Z28s and BMWs never had these issues so early on.

I called my Cadillac rep who handled the buyback. I am curious what his reaction will be.

Unitedcnf,

I want to sincerely apologize that your experience with Cadillac has not been all that we want for it to be. It looks as though you have already contacted an agent with Customer Service (from the last line of your post)? I won't interfere with his work, if so, but please keep us posted.

Regards,
Sarah (Assisting Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service

Unitedcnf
04-02-12, 01:00 PM
I called the Cadillac representative who assisted me with the buy back and he said "you have a run of bad luck" and chuckled. He was more concerned with my experience with OnStar. Judging from his reaction, he is not surprised or does not care. It seems as though customer service is at the forefront instead of quality control. I drafted a letter to the CEO to GM, Daniel Ackerson, but cannot find an email to contact the CEO of GM.

Stillborn
04-02-12, 01:21 PM
did you find a little spring on the driver side cockpit floor?

Unitedcnf
04-02-12, 02:21 PM
No spring on the floor but the clutch pedal makes a clicking sound. Waiting for a GM solution.

Stillborn
04-02-12, 02:37 PM
i figured, it's the linkage under the dash. they'll have it fixed in no time.

Unitedcnf
04-03-12, 12:01 AM
The dealership has no idea what caused the malfunction. They test drive the car and could not replicate. From my limited knowledge, a manual transmission is completely mechanical, no software.

Kmajecki
04-03-12, 12:12 AM
Air in the clutch line maybe?? Thats weird they couldn't replicate

SoCal_V
04-03-12, 12:27 AM
I love my V, but given your repeated bad luck w/these cars, why do you continue to buy them? Maybe time to try something else.

Garymonnecka
04-03-12, 12:38 AM
Mallet? Are you near jersey? He used to do cars for the dealership my dad worked at.

thebigjimsho
04-03-12, 12:17 PM
I've had air in my clutch line on my '04 V. Same thing happened. It was a couple days after a track day but was cool and rainy when it happened.

cdog533
04-03-12, 03:33 PM
Throttle Position Sensor?

Unitedcnf
04-03-12, 04:37 PM
This is my last one. Trust me on this. I hate to not buy American but there is nothing that appeals to me other than the V.

----------

I bought one from Martin Cadillac. I knew Mr. Martin briefly.

M5eater
04-03-12, 08:57 PM
so..
no questions, just venting?

thebigjimsho
04-04-12, 08:03 AM
Sucks that it happened. A bad streak, for sure. Because both my '04 and '09 Vs have been virtually trouble-free and shows excellent build quality...

cdog533
04-05-12, 11:54 AM
So, aside from not being German or Japanese, what exactly is wrong with your V? Mechanically, I mean.

Unitedcnf
04-06-12, 08:44 AM
Mechanically, the car is fine except for the car not be able to shift in any gear and not start last week. It is discouraging that dealership could not find anything. I am used to the radio and navigation software freezing. I have really bad luck with these vehicles as you can see from my first posting. I love the cars however they have been unreliable for me.

----------

Thanks for everyone's assistance.

Teutonaddict
04-06-12, 12:12 PM
http://demotivators.despair.com/dysfunctiondemotivator.jpg

Sorry for the humor at your expense, but as I read through your post one more time, this old Demotivators poster kept popping into my head.

In all seriousness, I do hope they track down the cause to your intermittent gear problem and resolve it to your satisfaction. I've got an 09/MT and so far it's been fairly trouble-free, except for any damage I've inflicted to it... Good luck!

DPL
04-06-12, 04:46 PM
Yep, 04 and 09 V's for me and pretty much troublefree. I wouldn't want any other car as my daily driver.

I'd say get it fixed and stick it out for another 10k miles!

M5eater
04-06-12, 09:55 PM
my bet is it's slave cylinder related. there are multiple known problems on the vette's that use them and I'm SURE the V uses the exact same one.

Mystical_Ice
04-06-12, 11:59 PM
Sucks that it happened. A bad streak, for sure. Because both my '04 and '09 Vs have been virtually trouble-free and shows excellent build quality...
The Vs are great cars, but neither the first nor the second generation displayed "excellent build quality". And that's not a matter of opinion, it's a fact.

Let's be realistic here guys. A car that starts and runs and drives well does not mean it has excellent build quality. Excellent build quality is Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Bentley, maybe even BMW/Mercedes.

Source: V owner since mid 2007. Three CTS-Vs including two first generation.

thebigjimsho
04-07-12, 02:34 PM
You piss away one aspect of build quality and laud another. Then, you bring up exotics and uber-expensive cars as what should be "excellent build quality".

That's bunk.

Each generation CTS-V is all the performance of its competitors for a fraction of the price. While Cadillac has had to use cheaper materials or simpler ways of going about things, the end result is still excellent. It's put together very well. It doesn't fall apart, its mechanicals are sound and it does what its supposed to extremely well.

Ferrari had cars that were catching on fire because the glue they used was igniting.

Lamborghini was never a bastion of excellent build quality. Audi has helped, but they're not perfect.

Mercedes Benz was in the tank in quality when it owned Chrysler. It has since gotten better, but its not perfect.

And Bentley's Continental had a squeaking armrest when Top Gear first tested one. THAT was an embarrassment.

And you keep bragging about yourself as a source. I didn't need to buy 3 Vs. I have bought 2 and have had one in my stable for just about 8 years.

Both are very well put together and show excellent build quality...

M5eater
04-08-12, 08:37 PM
Ferrari had cars that were catching on fire because the glue they used was igniting.

Lamborghini was never a bastion of excellent build quality. Audi has helped, but they're not perfect.

Mercedes Benz was in the tank in quality when it owned Chrysler. It has since gotten better, but its not perfect.

And Bentley's Continental had a squeaking armrest when Top Gear first tested one. THAT was an embarrassment.

And you keep bragging about yourself as a source. I didn't need to buy 3 Vs. I have bought 2 and have had one in my stable for just about 8 years.

Both are very well put together and show excellent build quality...
don't forget the vanos pins that get sucked into the intake and nuke engines. Mercedes is quoted as a source of excellent build quality? Fit and finish maybe, engineering of components and reliability? That was an oxymoron not too long ago

Audi has helped, but they're not perfect.

the only reason that is would be because they're using a lot of OTS A8 components that actually fit together these days.

I lol'd at that.

The Vs are great cars, but neither the first nor the second generation displayed "excellent build quality". And that's not a matter of opinion, it's a fact.

Jim would be correct here. You're out of touch with the 'facts' here.

And while on the topic, here are some facts for you;
http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/quality.htm?study=909201119&catStudy=909201120

and here are some more facts as well;
http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/news/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2011089

Mystical_Ice
04-08-12, 11:28 PM
And you keep bragging about yourself as a source. I didn't need to buy 3 Vs. I have bought 2 and have had one in my stable for just about 8 years

Aren't you the guy that totaled his V a few years ago? So you've had it 8 years in the stable? LOL. Instead of preaching about its excellent build quality, maybe you should go to Bondurant instead bud. Go learn to drive.

----------

Jim would be correct here. You're out of touch with the 'facts' here.

And while on the topic, here are some facts for you;
http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/quality.htm?study=909201119&catStudy=909201120

and here are some more facts as well;
http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/news/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2011089

M5Eater, when you're going to stand up and defend this car for having excellent build quality, and to say I'm "out of touch with the facts", it helps when over the last 6 months you haven't posted a half a dozen threads in this forum of pretty major issues you've had with your car, including one where the hood popped open while you were driving. Yeah, sounds like a car with excellent build quality.
Just a refresher, for your benefit:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/252013-anyone-have-their-hood-pop-open.html - Your hood popped open on its own at 100mph. Could have killed you, but no big deal. Excellent build quality nonetheless

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-performance-mods/236402-1-step-forward-4-steps-back.html
Two issues - vibration above 65mph, door hinge paint pitted. Excellent build quality at work!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-performance-mods/236402-1-step-forward-4-steps-back.html
OLP reset itself

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/247718-dealership-faith-restored.html
A testament to the excellent manufacturer of this excellent car.

Yeah your track record over just the last 6 months proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you stand behind your statement that this car displays exceptional build quality.

SoCal_V
04-09-12, 02:17 AM
Can I get a WHAT-WHAT for cannibalism & in-fighting :highfive:

"excellent build quality"...umm no, not so much.

Bada$$ engine & performance at a low price...indeed. It's why I bought my V. If I could have afforded a new CLS63 I would have bought that.

Happy Easter to all the angry forum members! :bonkers:

M5eater
04-09-12, 07:50 AM
Yeah your track record over just the last 6 months proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you stand behind your statement that this car displays exceptional build quality.
Thank you, I had forgotten about all of those (mostly) minor annoyances! These cars are a POS, that's exactly why I bought another one.

Mystical_Ice
04-09-12, 08:40 AM
Thank you, I had forgotten about all of those (mostly) minor annoyances! These cars are a POS, that's exactly why I bought another one.

I don't know about you, but hoods opening on their own while I'm driving are far from 'minor' annoyances. If that's minor for you, then I can see why you think the car has excellent build quality.

I just think you should know that before you try to make a point about the CTS-V's "excellent build quality", you should stop a minute to think about how many threads you've posted in just the last several months on issues you've experienced.

Just sayin'.

cdog533
04-09-12, 12:12 PM
I don't know about you, but hoods opening on their own while I'm driving are far from 'minor' annoyances. If that's minor for you, then I can see why you think the car has excellent build quality.

I just think you should know that before you try to make a point about the CTS-V's "excellent build quality", you should stop a minute to think about how many threads you've posted in just the last several months on issues you've experienced.

Just sayin'.

Dude, the latch was incorrectly adjusted. And it just popped up a little, it's not like it flew up and broke the windshield and curled over the roof (which I saw happen to a Honda Accord on the interstate and count as one of my most priceless memories).

I've had BMW's, Porsche's, Lincolns, Jeeps, etc. along with several Caddys, and they all have minor issues here and there. Go over the MB forums and they are mad about issues with their cars too. The Cadillac V series are probably the best American cars ever built. Of ALL the V's sold, we see a few problems, most minor in nature. Yes, we've lost a couple of engines, and one guy had a bad weld at the C-pillar, but statistically were are doing good.

And, by the way, the small volume manufacturers (Lambo, Ferrari, Rolls) have some quality issues as well. Those cars typically don't get used as a hard as a normal car, but they also don't have the testing and refinement of say a Toyota Camry. When you build 800,000 Camry's a year, you are able to find EVERY weak link in the car and fix it for the next model year. Small volume companies don't have that option, so they try to get everything perfect the first time by making sure everything is very high quality. And this works, to some extent, but they still have their issues... Think of the rear suspension levelling issues in the Rolls or the timing chain issues in the Ferraris. Or the overheating in the Countach.... etc.

At any rate, my Escalade hasn't been in the shop (with the exception of the stupid steering input shaft which failed on every Escalade ever made) in 110K miles.

thebigjimsho
04-09-12, 02:11 PM
Aren't you the guy that totaled his V a few years ago? So you've had it 8 years in the stable? LOL. Instead of preaching about its excellent build quality, maybe you should go to Bondurant instead bud. Go learn to drive.
Hahaha...

From the moment you set foot in the V forums, I always thought you had a little bit of an ego. A little off-putting at times, but didn't think you were that bad a guy.

Now I know you're just a butthurt little brat. If you want to rebutt an argument by taking a misfortune of mine and then make a wisecrack about my driving, have at it. You're the one looking like the assclown.

In case your puny brain forgot, I was, indeed, without a driveable V for 3 months. I said I was with a(that is singular, in case you don't know English too well) V for about 8 years. Yeah, a 3 month gap in the middle. Wrecked the V1 in August, in a V2 in November. Oops.

As for my driving, try catching up, Junior. I've done more track days and autocrosses than you'd dream of doing. I don't need some whiney little punk pretending she's a better driver than I am.

Just for the others who may not know, it was a deer in WV at midnight that was the cause my accident.

But, of course, little Mystical Dribble thinks we should be able to avoid that everytime. Watch out for Mythical Wetness taunts next time you have an accident in your V. Some girl rear ends you? Take a Bondurant class you loser!

JimmyH
04-09-12, 03:43 PM

Let's be realistic here guys. A car that starts and runs and drives well does not mean it has excellent build quality. Excellent build quality is Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Bentley, maybe even BMW/Mercedes.

Source: V owner since mid 2007. Three CTS-Vs including two first generation.

http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/gif/troll.jpg

Mystical_Ice
04-09-12, 06:35 PM
Hahaha...

From the moment you set foot in the V forums, I always thought you had a little bit of an ego. A little off-putting at times, but didn't think you were that bad a guy.

Now I know you're just a butthurt little brat. If you want to rebutt an argument by taking a misfortune of mine and then make a wisecrack about my driving, have at it. You're the one looking like the assclown.

In case your puny brain forgot, I was, indeed, without a driveable V for 3 months. I said I was with a(that is singular, in case you don't know English too well) V for about 8 years. Yeah, a 3 month gap in the middle. Wrecked the V1 in August, in a V2 in November. Oops.

As for my driving, try catching up, Junior. I've done more track days and autocrosses than you'd dream of doing. I don't need some whiney little punk pretending she's a better driver than I am.

Just for the others who may not know, it was a deer in WV at midnight that was the cause my accident.

But, of course, little Mystical Dribble thinks we should be able to avoid that everytime. Watch out for Mythical Wetness taunts next time you have an accident in your V. Some girl rear ends you? Take a Bondurant class you loser!

I'd typed a response out to your last post, but after thinking about it, I went back and deleted the whole thing.

You're right, it was a low blow for me to go after your misfortune of wrecking your first V because of something that you could not avoid, and would have happened to any of us in the same situation you were. So for that I apologize - that was out of line for me to say.

That said though, not attacking you personally here at all, but I do have to say that I'm not a huge fan of the V's build quality. The 1st generation V had some horrible defects (differentials exploding, navigation buttons peeling, etc) and what made it worse was that GM never fixed those problems really; sure they'd replace a differential or two under warranty, but they never really acknowledged the issues it seems.

When I got the 2nd generation V, I loved every aspect of it - and I still do. It's an excellent car, and the only thing I did differently was bought a beater/daily car so I wouldn't have to drive the V as much as I drove my 1st gen Vs. I'm the biggest proponent of the CTS-V, and there are at least a half dozen CTS-V owners on these forums that own their Vs because of me or my Vs (whether riding in mine, or me telling them about it, etc). I stay in touch with many of these individuals, people that I've known for years, that now also drive CTS-Vs, and I love it.

I see myself always being a CTS-V owner... you can't beat it for the money, you really can't. I have always said the two best values in cars are the CTS-V for sedans, and the ZR1 for sports coupes. But I continue to experience issues in my current V that I really shouldn't have to - I've battled the dealership for almost a year over my Recaro seats squeaking. Three times i've left my car at the dealership, probably totaling almost 6 weeks, and I continue to have the problem. When my car gets hot, the exhaust starts squeaking too. I was told that it was because of the exhaust hitting something under the car (i forget the exact problem), and after taking it several times, and still having the problem, like the Recaro seats, I just gave up and deal with it. Still love the car, but some issues that I don't think will ever be fixed as long as i own it

Don't let me saying that I don't think the car has excellent build quality imply that I don't like the car. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't own it, plain and simple. There are many other cars that you can find (especially on the used market) that outshine the V in terms of quality, craftsmanship, and so forth... but the V is still the best overall. Looks (I don't think there are any cars that look more menacing than the CTS-V), the performance aspect, everything. I do like it, but since I praise the car to everyone I meet, I thought at least here in the community, we could all agree that there are some things that this car (or the build of the car) doesn't quite shine in. Still a fan, and always will be.

thebigjimsho
04-10-12, 08:18 AM
Hey Mystical, I appreciate the response. You could've let this escalate and you didn't. I made a comment about what I've thought of you over time. I need to adjust that.

I agree with the points on the V1. I will say that Cadillac has done a good job on fixing the diff. The buttons peeling I think is one of those things that would be expensive to universally fix. I did have a few other issues, like a leaking radiator, loose sail panels and a broken moonroof switch, but those were all fixed under warranty never resurfaced.

As a whole, though, I thought the V was a great first effort by a company who had never built such a car before. To me, the final result wasn't marred by these relatively minor quibbles.

My V2 has been such a huge improvement. But I haven't had any of the problems some have had with seats and moonroofs and such.

Rich Browne
04-12-12, 09:14 PM
I was curious what caused this issue. I disassembled the lower panels to expose my clutch pedal assembly. Reviewed the spring assembly/construction and discounted it as being any part of the issue. I them grabbed the hydraulic pushrod assembly and noticed a bit of wiggle/slop. I got a little aggressive with the rod - guess what? it popped right off the post and the pedal went to the floor. Happy I found the issue, grabbed some grease and coated the exposed assembly and snapped the linkage back on. After greasing (as a note - the factory assembly was dry)the pedal feel is improved.

Sorry the original poster had the issue. If you do experience this situation reach up and snap the linkage back on. It's easy to do and won't take more than 5 minutes to fix.