: Meaning of oil % on computer

southwindpa
04-01-12, 04:38 PM
Hello All!

I just bought my first caddy ever and it is a 2006 XLR, had 12.5k miles on it and had been garage kept and paid 32.5K for the beauty. I feel like I got the best deal ever and want to take care of my girl.

I purchased the best oil that money would buy and have noticed I am 3K miles over the lube store sticker, but my car says 91% on the oil sensor on the dashboard. My question is, do I get an oil change or just put a half a quart in there?

In addition, if anyone can forward me a link on how to set up the blue tooth, that would be awesome. Many thanks!

coati
04-01-12, 05:12 PM
Hi southwindpa,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new car!:)

That is really low mileage for an '06.

If you're unsure the oil has been changed or not, I would just go ahead and do an oil & filter change.
Sometimes it's better to be on the safe side.

I'm not aware of an '04-'08 XLR/XLR-V with factory bluetooth.

Perhaps you have an aftermarket bluetooth?

southwindpa
04-01-12, 06:06 PM
Hi southwindpa,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new car!:)

That is really low mileage for an '06.

If you're unsure the oil has been changed or not, I would just go ahead and do an oil & filter change.
Sometimes it's better to be on the safe side.

I'm not aware of an '04-'08 XLR/XLR-V with factory bluetooth.

Perhaps you have an aftermarket bluetooth?

Just really wondering what 91% means. I originally thought when it got to 0%, it was time to change the oil, but since I am 3K over what the lube place says and still at 91% that cannot be correct.

In regards to my "Bluetooth" i realize that is incorrect because it didnt even have an MP3 jack. I guess those speakers I see are for the phone connection? Maybe that is the link I am looking for. Thank you very much for your time and god bless!

coati
04-01-12, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE=southwindpa;2920231]Just really wondering what 91% means. I originally thought when it got to 0%, it was time to change the oil, but since I am 3K over what the lube place says and still at 91% that cannot be correct.

It's possible that the oil was changed and they reset the DIC oil change monitoring system back to 100% oil life but forgot or didn't put an oil change sticker on the car.

But if you're uncertain, best to change the oil (5-30W Synthetic) to be sure it's good.

What brand of oil are you planning to use?

southwindpa
04-01-12, 06:54 PM
This would be my 2nd oil change on the car. I drove it to CO from TX the day after I bought it and made good time on the way up on those long flat roads ;)

coati
04-01-12, 07:01 PM
I did the same thing the day I bought my XLR-V.
I drove it from Arizona to California.
It was a nice long drive back home!

Post pictures of your new XLR when you can.

amunderdog
04-01-12, 07:16 PM
It means the oil is 9 percent used up:)
Be sure to reset the oil life monitor when you change the oil.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=130036

http://www.******************/forum/faq-46/gm-cadillac-oil-monitor-algorithm-alghorythm-2103/

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop-changing-your-oil.html
For 2010 vehicles, 14 of 35 carmakers are now using oil life monitoring systems. One GM car driven by Edmunds went 13,000 miles before the monitoring system indicated the need for an oil change. We sent a sample of that oil to a lab for analysis. The results showed the oil could have safely delivered at least another 2,000 miles of service.

Ranger
04-02-12, 11:28 PM
Just really wondering what 91% means. I originally thought when it got to 0%, it was time to change the oil, but since I am 3K over what the lube place says and still at 91% that cannot be correct.
I don't usually stop in here, but the forum is slow tonight and I spotted this thread and couldn't resist.

Remember you are looking at two different and totally separate things. GM's recommendation, the OLM (Oil Life Monitor) which is telling you that you have 91% oil life remaining and the sticker from "the lube place". The OLM has been designed and tested by GM's engineers and Dr Shirley Schwartz, who jointly hold it's patent and have won awards for it. "The lube place" on the other hand is in the business of selling oil changes so it is in their best interest to keep pushing old school 3000 mile oil changes.

MoistCabbage
04-09-12, 11:18 PM
:yeah:

You can read more on the OLM system in the Cadillac Technical Archives (in the black tab at the top of the page)