Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Optima Yellow Top Installed

5K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  sfv41901 
#1 · (Edited)
Was in Batteries Plus and they just happened to have the correct model in stock, so I bought it. I've always replaced the stock battery in my cars with Yellow Tops...

See less See more
#4 ·
I knew that, but why do you want the deep cycle capabilities in a car? Do you operate the electronics for long periods with the engine off? Do they give you longer battery life than the red tops? I usually get at least 7 years out of the red tops. The main reason I get them is because the won't ever leak. Battery acid will rust out any metal it gets on very quickly. I like the idea for the CTS because the battery is in the rear quarter. If it ever leaked, the rust damage would be extensive.

#7 ·
Batteries in my and my wife cars' usually last 3.5 years. I had two exceptions - my very first car 30 something years ago and......the CTS! The former lasted 5+ years (I sold the car after 5 years of ownership) and latter - CTS is 4 years 5 months old. I thought about changing the battery but after trickle charging it a couple of times over last 2 months it seems to be doing well.

A question - if Optima I think I would go with RedTop. Which model? Do they really last that long? Are they worth the money? I have no experience with Optima whatsoever.....

#8 ·
I've had several batteries leak over the years and the damage the acid does is severe. I think the Optimas are worth it just for the fact that they can't leak. I had one bad optima that lasted less than 1 year, it lost a cell and was replaced under warranty. But the rest have lasted longer than I owned the car I put them in. I have now in my 2000 Camaro SS that's been there for about 7 years and I have one in my 2003 Grand Cherokee that has been there for about 4 years. Previous Optimas have lasted 7+ years. It's really the only battery I buy anymore unless they don't make one for the particular application or if I don't intend to keep it long. Even my old street bike had a gel cell, although not an Optima since they didn't make motorcycle applications.

#10 ·
Very cool. I'll probably do the same after my warranty runs out. I figure I might as well let GM replace it if it dies before then.

Which battery number did you buy? Was there any trick to it or did it bolt right in? Did you use any sort of reserve battery to avoid losing your presets?

#19 ·
Does an OPTIMA battery ever gas?

When used with a properly regulated constant voltage charging system (such as an alternator) the OPTIMA will usually not emit hydrogen gas. However, gassing can occur when charging at higher voltage levels or in extreme high temperature conditions. In automotive applications this typically will not happen if the alternator/regulator stay below 15 volts.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/product_support/faqs.php#productInformation

#22 ·
For anyone that is curious about the specs on Braille vs Optima. Both are group 34/78 for the CTS

Optima
CCA 750
Amp Hour 55
Weight 45lbs
Warranty 3 Year
Cost MSRP $228

Braille
CCA 850
Amp Hour 60
Weight 41lbs
Warranty 5 Year
Cost MSRP $228

I run a aftermarket car stereo / accessories shop and we install a ton of batteries. When I first started, we only sold Optima. They are good batteries, but we found Braille and have never looked back.

#23 ·
Nice.... I hadn't even heard of Braille batteries before you mentioned this. They look like a good option. I'm not clear, though, if they're a "gel cell" type battery internally like the Optimas? (So would they offer the same insurance against any acid leaking out and corroding the rear quarter panel of the CTS?)

I see Braille also makes a VERY expensive lithium version of this battery, which seems to be sold with the primary advantage of very light weight.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA08702T3702

(Ouch, $1249!)

#26 ·
Hello, I noticed your conversation regarding our batteries and wanted to offer some assistance. While our batteries are considered “sealed,” any lead-acid battery can vent gas that is both toxic and flammable in extreme situations. For that reason, we do not recommend installing any battery in an enclosed space (trunk or interior), unless it is properly-vented to the outside air. sfv41901, we do offer a direct-fit replacement battery for the Prius, but we do not offer what we consider a direct-fit replacement for the CTS.

Cold cranking amps are one of the most-touted and most-oversold battery specifications around. A replacement battery should meet or exceed the OEM requirements for cranking amps. Cold cranking amps are only an important consideration for people who drive in cold climates. While I know it happens every day, people who live in Austin, Texas shouldn't be buying batteries based on a cold cranking test that takes place at a temperature their vehicle will never see. Our D34/78 YellowTops have a minimum weight of 43.5 pounds, while our 34/78 RedTops have a minimum weight of 38.8 pounds. RedTops will offer more cranking amps than their YellowTop counterparts, at the expense of reserve capacity and the ability to be deep-cycled.

People who have significant aftermarket accessories or electrical demands are better off with a YellowTop, while a RedTop is well-suited for most stock starting/lighting/ignition (SLI) applications. If any battery fails from a manufacturing defect, it is likely to do so well within the first year of use, if not the first month. Beyond that timeframe, most warranties are primarily used as marketing tools. Our three-year, free replacement warranty has no pro-ration, while other warranties may begin pro-ration immediately.

Unlike many batteries on the market, we are both the brand and the manufacturer. We manufacture all of our own batteries in our own facility and they are the only batteries produced there. We never re-label or re-spec our batteries for any of our retail partners and we always use 99.99% pure virgin lead in our batteries. While using recycled lead is less expensive for the manufacturer and commonplace amongst flooded batteries, pure lead offers better performance and lifespan.

The key to long battery life, regardless of brand, is proper voltage maintenance. Fully-charged, our RedTops will measure about 12.6-12.8 volts and our YellowTops will measure about 13.0-13.2 volts. Whenever any battery is discharged below 12.4 volts and left to sit, sulfation begins to form, which diminishes both capacity and lifespan. That makes a quality battery maintenance device an excellent investment for any vehicle that doesn't see regular use. If anyone has any questions about our batteries, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

#27 ·
OptimaJim said:
Hello, I noticed your conversation regarding our batteries and wanted to offer some assistance. While our batteries are considered “sealed,” any lead-acid battery can vent gas that is both toxic and flammable in extreme situations. For that reason, we do not recommend installing any battery in an enclosed space (trunk or interior), unless it is properly-vented to the outside air. sfv41901, we do offer a direct-fit replacement battery for the Prius, but we do not offer what we consider a direct-fit replacement for the CTS.
Thx for the info Jim.

So here's the big question.......are u developing a battery for the Gen2 CTS?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.