Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Factory air intake question

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Ranger 
#1 ·
I have a 98 Deville... the computer that's in the bottom intake chamber below the air filter box is the PCM or is it something else? Is it also a thermal electronic device that actually cools down the surrounding air or is it just a big slab of aluminum?

#3 ·
It's a big, useless slab of carefully designed aluminum used for airflow control. Don't even read the ID sticker, cut off the 100 or so wires, tape them up and pitch it. The drivetrain will love you. You will gain 126 hp and the airbox will flow twice as much air as a K&N filter modified with 10W-50 magic oil.

Also, see Post #2.

#8 ·
So this also means that if the intake sucked up water then the PCM will fry before water gets into the engine right? I remember I took a picture of the PCM a few years ago... ahh found it

As you can see there is a removable computer chip in there under a pretty hefty sealed aluminum cover. Maybe this is how they go from vin Y to vin 9 and vice versa without having to redesign a new circuit board?

#10 ·
The only way the intake will suck up water is if you drive through 2-3 feet of water.

----------

As you can see there is a removable computer chip in there under a pretty hefty sealed aluminum cover. Maybe this is how they go from vin Y to vin 9 and vice versa without having to redesign a new circuit board?
No, but what that is escapes me at the moment. Maybe someone else will remember.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.