: Highway Cruising

Thunder Gray STS
03-31-12, 07:32 PM
Going to take a trip in June with the V. Would it hurt it to put mid grade gas in it rather than premium? Cruise set on 75ish, flat country. It would save quite a bit in 4500 miles. No WOT.

MotownPimp
03-31-12, 07:37 PM
Assuming 15 mpg and a delta of .25 cents per gallon you will save 75 bucks. Very marginal savings, imo.

thebigjimsho
03-31-12, 08:15 PM
So not worth it. I know times are tough, but d00d!

baabootoo
03-31-12, 08:15 PM
Nope, won't hurt a bit. I do that ALL the time even in town. If you can't get low 20's easily, there's something wrong. They almost give that stuff away also in the Midwest since no one wants ethanol out there! If you up in elevation, it might be hard to find 93 anyway.

BWhite58
03-31-12, 08:25 PM
It wont hurt the engine . Any knock will be noticed and the timing will be retarded giving a little less power . No big deal at highway cruising .

Thunder Gray STS
03-31-12, 08:41 PM
True, it is about 75 bucks, but that would pay for 1 night hotel or a couple days of fast food meals. Thanks for the responses guys!

thebigjimsho
03-31-12, 08:44 PM
Coulda got an Evo...

SoCal_V
03-31-12, 08:58 PM
If you can't get low 20's easily, there's something wrong.

You mean with freeway mileage only? I must be doing something wrong b/c just cruising at 70mph gets me below 20. Still under 5k miles though.

Thunder Gray STS
03-31-12, 09:07 PM
Coulda got an Evo...

Evo? No way. Maybe a Prius V.

neuronbob
03-31-12, 09:18 PM
It won't hurt but as others have said the savings are truly minimal and your mileage may go DOWN a little, as has been my experience in other cars when I've tried this. I use the highest octane possible for the location I'm at. I visit Colorado 1-2 times a year and the highest there is 91...and it works just fine.

I am planning a cross-country trip in the V with the family in a few weeks myself. At 75 mph constant cruising I get 19 mpg, though we'll see if that changes now that I've cleaned and reoiled the filter on my KPE/Airaid intake in the last week. (BTW, so far, no MAF fouling so I must have done it right. :) )

330toSRT8
04-01-12, 12:55 AM
I have a related question. Would it be ok if I use retread tires on my V? Also thinking of using non-synthetic oil for the next few oil changes to save a few bucks. Just keep in mind that I won't rev past 2000 rpm out go faster than 30 mph.

thebigjimsho
04-01-12, 01:10 AM
I lol'd. Twas cruel, but I lol'd...

Thunder Gray STS
04-01-12, 01:56 AM
I have a related question. Would it be ok if I use retread tires on my V? Also thinking of using non-synthetic oil for the next few oil changes to save a few bucks. Just keep in mind that I won't rev past 2000 rpm out go faster than 30 mph.

Should be used to all of the above since retreads are OE equipment on Chrysler products and they have a hard time over 30 mph.

dcc8203
04-01-12, 03:19 AM
My only addition to this thread would be to echo the thought mentioned above about mileage actually decreasing with the lower grade of gas. I recall a very in-depth analysis that was done on the G8 boards by a member who tracked his mileage using both grades of gas and found that the gas savings did not make up for the decreased mileage he got. Of course, I have no link, but you could go over there and search for it.

If it was my money, I wouldn't do it.

Thunder Gray STS
04-01-12, 03:32 AM
My only addition to this thread would be to echo the thought mentioned above about mileage actually decreasing with the lower grade of gas. I recall a very in-depth analysis that was done on the G8 boards by a member who tracked his mileage using both grades of gas and found that the gas savings did not make up for the decreased mileage he got. Of course, I have no link, but you could go over there and search for it.

If it was my money, I wouldn't do it.

Thanks man. Appreciate it!

330toSRT8
04-01-12, 10:30 AM
I spent the last year living in Bahrain. Premium gas was only $1 per gallon. It may be worth the move. :-)

I bet when gas here in the US reaches $12 per gallon in a couple years I'll see this same thread on the Bugatti forum! No, not really.

Btw, yes, damn Chrysler and their damn SRT8s! ;-) I test drove the new one yesterday and it's barely faster than my 2006. I admit the CTS-V destroys it, which is why my next car shall be a V Wagon.