: 2004 cts v trans niose

NYS Kurt Bush
03-31-12, 03:52 PM
My cts v is making a banging noise when I engage the clutch and the drive shaft into the differental is loose. Is this a bushing or a entire new rear end? Any ideas

darkman
03-31-12, 09:37 PM
I am not sure what you mean by "loose into the differential." One possibility is that the fasteners holding the driveshaft to the pinion of the differential and not tight. Another possibility is that the differential bushing has failed, which allows excessive rotation of the differential. Finally, you can turn the driveshaft an 1/8 of a turn or so before the rear wheels actually turn due to the normal internal play particular to this differential.

NYS Kurt Bush
04-01-12, 10:59 AM
It is loose side to side about a inch. It sounds like a bushing has gone bad which a design flaw and it was corrected in the 2006 rear end. I am not a mechanic so i really dont know but i hope it has not done damage to the gears in the back.

darkman
04-01-12, 11:10 AM
The later differentials are redesigned and are stronger. However, as far as I know, all of the differentials regardless of year model or part number use the same oem differential bushing. The differential bushing is a consumable part (at least in these cars) and must be replaced from time to time. There are aftermarket differential bushings available which are made of harder material and are much more durable. The durability of the aftermarket differential bushings does bring with it increased noise and vibration transfer from the differential to the cars frame.

NYS Kurt Bush
04-01-12, 11:27 AM
Hmmm this is all in hope that it is the bushing. I have it going to cadillac tommorow and they i am sure will charge me a ton. i have only had the car a week. You have any other things i should look out for with it having 95k on it?

darkman
04-01-12, 05:10 PM
I don't know what the dealers get for changing out the differential bushing. It is hard to say what other service your car needs without knowing the service history. 100k miles is however, the life expectancy of the spark plugs and spark plug wires, which is not a bad do-it-yourself task if you have the time and tools.

NYS Kurt Bush
04-03-12, 08:12 PM
Problem was a simple fix with a rear bushing in the back. Thanks for the help. Now looking at cosa exhuast any feed back on those

darkman
04-03-12, 08:25 PM
Problem was a simple fix with a rear bushing in the back. Thanks for the help. Now looking at cosa exhuast any feed back on those

Rand49er here runs a Corsa so perhaps he will chime in.

The Corsa was the original option sport exhaust on the early Vs and therefore GM certified the Corsa setup with the DOT/EPA.

The Corsa is known for being quiet, especially inside the cabin, at partial throttle and has no drone at highway speeds making it a great touring exhaust. It is also known for being loud at full throttle. Finally, the sound is higher in pitch than some others which some folks like and some do not.

(Later GM switched from Corsa to Borla as its cerified aftermarket exhaust system, which has a lower pitch sound, but also brings with it some drone at highway speeds.)

NYS Kurt Bush
04-03-12, 09:41 PM
Yea i guess i want both of each worlds. The sound of a mustang deep and low throaty sound but the sound of the v when i and just cruising......

06BlackV
04-05-12, 03:14 AM
Yea i guess i want both of each worlds. The sound of a mustang deep and low throaty sound but the sound of the v when i and just cruising......

I have the b&b exhaust with xpipe and i love it , i feel i get the best of both worlds , i have similar taste as u. Just a pointer.