: HoustonMile "V" Gathering

V locity
03-31-12, 08:26 AM
I've already PM'd a couple guys and they are in. I'll coordinate the effort on gathering, parking or what ever other ideas pop up etc...

If you think you'll join the show of V's, Chime in here or PM me so I know to contact you for details. Please reply with whether you will be running or spectating. It will be great to see how many in the region show & connect.

http://www.houstonmile.com/

BTW, I have a GoPro & Handicam/tripod for the action. Could use maybe another GoPro to document both forward & rearview angles on the cars that run, so if you want to volunteer yours, let me know on that too!

So far:

Secret Weapon, Running
V locity, Spectator for now?
JayC'sV, Spectator

More joining us via email too! :D

V locity
04-01-12, 10:02 AM
BTW... other V's are welcome to join, V1's, XLR's, STS's

Smokin_Cache
04-01-12, 10:33 AM
Don't guess I meet the min post requirment for PM module.

V locity
04-01-12, 11:00 AM
Hmmm. My email is VlocityV@gmail.com, if PM's not working? Or you can just chime in here... either works.

Smokin_Cache
04-01-12, 11:47 AM
Does anyone know of any off the shelf extiguisher mounts for the V2 coupe? My time is limited so custom building something is pretty much out of the question at this time.

V locity
04-01-12, 11:50 AM
^^^ Also, a mount that is "temp" in nature or one that does cause permanant holes or marks when removed, like a clip on or suction mount... Like the GoPro?

Smokin_Cache
04-01-12, 12:23 PM
Thanks V locity

bzabodyn
04-01-12, 04:14 PM
I'll plan on attending and bring the Vagon but 'unsure about running (fire extinguisher an issue) - any ideas?

For contact - bzabodyn AT fsblouise.com - cant PM yet either.

I should have first round of mods completed/dyno tuned in time for its first good test.

Brandon

TXAG2004
04-01-12, 04:31 PM
I'll be there (spectating). Hopefully my Vagon will arrive by then...

V locity
04-01-12, 04:48 PM
So far:
Secret Weapon, Running
JayC'sV, Spectator
Smokin_Cache, Spec.
bzabodyn, Spec
TXAG2004, Spec

Smokin_Cache
04-02-12, 06:23 PM
I think I have figured a way to mount an extinguisher in the rear passenger floor board using the front seat mounting bolts. I am going to try to take the V by the machine/fab shop next week and see what we can finalize. The requirements would be; seat must be able to travel to full aft position and extinguisher must be able to be access from driver seat by me with belt tight. I had no problem reaching any of the rear passenger floor last night. The passenger seat was just aft of its travel midpoint. bzabodyn would you be interested in this mount setup also?

Smokin

V locity
04-02-12, 08:54 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B003BZLHRQ/ref=dp_image_z_0/186-1924042-8893739?ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive

^^^ think sandwiching in the passanger side headreast^^^

Lift headrest, mount, close headrest. Rinse, lather & repeat to remove...?

Smokin_Cache
04-02-12, 09:39 PM
That is genius!! So simple I would have never looked in that direction. Thank You!! Now do you think it will get threw tech inspection?

I had also thought about a bracket to clamp to the lap belt and pull the belt out lock it. The belt is designed to hold a 250lb person it should hold a 2.5lbext fine, but that would eliminate riders.

deadringer
04-03-12, 11:02 PM
BTW... other V's are welcome to join, V1's, XLR's, STS's

Hey man, great meeting you at Bunbera's last weekend... I'll be running my XLR-V on the 1/2 mile

Mirabella
04-04-12, 01:25 AM
Hello guys. I am not only new to this forum but just picked up my 2011 CTS-V last night. I am very interested in the Houston 1/2 mile and plan on asking a few more questions about the event tomorrow. V locity I sent you an email a few minutes ago simply because that is the fastest way to reach me.
Also the gentleman on here that figured out the way to mount the fire extinguisher- I am interested in doing the same thing if you would not mind helping me with what is needed.
Thanks guys and I hope to meet many of you soon.

Smokin_Cache
04-04-12, 05:50 PM
Just called the number on the Houstonmile website and the guys is looks for a bracket for two of us. He is supposed to call me back. If he can't find anything I will draw up the bracket tonight and post it. There are still spots open to run. Oh I looked at the headrest idea. I am not so sure about that with Recaros. I need to look a little closer but the V at the bottom of the rest is pretty difined.

V locity
04-04-12, 05:54 PM
Been talken via email with Hennessey about that. The impression they are giving is either way, it's going to require a "bracket" securely mounted to something, to pass their inspection.

Smokin_Cache
04-04-12, 06:11 PM
Mirabella sounds like you were the other V he was looking at a solution for. Sounds like he is going to get it figured out.

----------

Same impression I got.

V locity
04-04-12, 09:37 PM
So far:
Secret Weapon, Running
JayC'sV, Spectator
Smokin_Cache, Running
bzabodyn, Spec
TXAG2004, Spec
deadringer, Running
Mirabella, Running

bzabodyn
04-05-12, 12:50 AM
I think I have figured a way to mount an extinguisher in the rear passenger floor board using the front seat mounting bolts. I am going to try to take the V by the machine/fab shop next week and see what we can finalize. The requirements would be; seat must be able to travel to full aft position and extinguisher must be able to be access from driver seat by me with belt tight. I had no problem reaching any of the rear passenger floor last night. The passenger seat was just aft of its travel midpoint. bzabodyn would you be interested in this mount setup also?

Smokin

Yes, I would be very interested in this setup. I might end up doing something more permanent in the future, but this would be perfect for now... Shoot me an email - bzabodyn AT hotmail.com - when you have more info...

Mirabella
04-05-12, 01:02 AM
I sure hope so. I spoke to John Hennessey late in the afternoon. He already knew I was working with two of his guys- Mike- a newer member of his team- but is very responsive and his manager Tico??(Not sure about his spelling)
Either way- feel free to send me a note if you guys are looking or needing one and please keep me in the loop if someone figures it out before I do. BTW- I did sign up for the race.

SecretWeapon
04-05-12, 09:50 AM
Looks like things are warming up nicely for May 12th. This is going to be a fun time for sure. V locity, thanks for stepping up and organizing this gig.

Smokin_Cache
04-05-12, 07:09 PM
Got an update from Mike at Hennessey he is still plucking away at a bracket. He said he has sent pics to the manufacturer to ensure the bracket will work. Still haven't found time to draw anything.

Smokin

Mirabella
04-06-12, 12:37 AM
Smokin are you talking with Mike Paulk? That is who I am speaking with. He did not really have any update for me/us when I spoke with him around 1:30.
Guys here is my email. Smokin and Secret Weapon would you email when you can. I cannot figure out the PM thing. Secret Weapon we live near each other and would love to connect when possible. Smokin- let's communicate on the bracket.
mike.mirabella@eqd.com
Thanks

Smokin_Cache
04-06-12, 09:25 AM
That is who I am talking to. The V and I left this morning on an 11hr drive to north AR so I will shoot some emails when I get there. Wish I had time to take hwy 7 up in the Ozarks! What a blast that would be.

Mirabella
04-06-12, 10:10 AM
Safe travels. Talk soon.

V locity
04-08-12, 11:54 PM
So far:
Secret Weapon, Running
JayC'sV, Spectator
Smokin_Cache, Running
bzabodyn, Spec
TXAG2004, Spec
deadringer, Running
Mirabella, Running
mwilkes, maybe, Spec/Run?
RabbitCTSV, maybe, Spec/Run?
ChasJr, Running
Mike TexaSS, Running

Mirabella
04-11-12, 05:02 PM
For those looking for a fire extinguisher bracket for the upcoming race (or whatever) Mike at Hennessey said that Brey Krause thinks their universal mount will fit behind the passenger seat. If you go to OG Racing web site and go under Car. Then Fire Suppression. Then page three you will see it. It is model R-9540. I ordered it and thought I would give it a try. A bit over kill- but what the hell. I will see how it works. Brian at OG said he would take it back if not. I will keep you guys updated. If someone else found something that is easier/cheaper/better let me know.

Smokin_Cache
04-13-12, 09:53 AM
Well my unexpected trip to AR has really put me behind. I don't think I have time to get things ready for the run. I will not be running if I can make it.

When I told my wonderful wife I had decided to not devote the time to getting ready. You would have thought I was telling her I would never again carry out the trash! I will call and buy my spot in the morning or Monday if they are not open on Sat. Going to order the Brey Krause tonight. I am sure it can be convinced it want to live behind the passenger seat.

V locity
04-13-12, 11:20 PM
Well my unexpected trip to AR has really put me behind. I don't think I have time to get things ready for the run. I will not be running if I can make it.

When I told my wonderful wife I had decided to not devote the time to getting ready. You would have thought I was telling her I would never again carry out the trash! I will call and buy my spot in the morning or Monday if they are not open on Sat. Going to order the Brey Krause tonight. I am sure it can be convinced it want to live behind the passenger seat.

COOL WIFE!!! Bring her along!

Smokin_Cache
04-14-12, 08:52 AM
She has no desire to go! Just sent to order in.

Smokin_Cache
04-20-12, 01:25 PM
All the OG goodies should be here today! Now how do I fit mounting the stuff into the schedule with 16hr days at work ahead for a while?

I got wind that the bracket may require some customization. I don't have time for that.

I also heard someone built one from local parts for a much cheaper price. I am hoping we can see some pics of that mount.

V locity have you looked into http://www.photographictendencies.com/ EGO-Mounts for your GoPro?

V locity
04-20-12, 10:38 PM
V locity have you looked into http://www.photographictendencies.com/ EGO-Mounts for your GoPro?

I can't tell what it is? Their website evidently isn't working correctly...

I do have the motorsports mount though & have had it to 150+ on the outside of the car.:D

Smokin_Cache
04-20-12, 10:58 PM
I think you sent me those last week. Looks great. The mounts on their site would clamp to the head rest rods for in cab video. If the clamps a small enough. Or under the car.

The mount appears to be a pefect fit. Not sure about the pass seat being able to move full aft. Maybe we will find out this weekend.

V locity
04-20-12, 11:14 PM
??? I'm using the suction cup.

Their website's working now... nice mount!

We need another GoPro if anyone Has one to bring!

Thanks guys!

V locity
04-26-12, 07:40 AM
So far:
Secret Weapon, Running
V locity, Spectator
JayC'sV, Spectator
Smokin_Cache, Running
bzabodyn, Spec
TXAG2004, Spec
deadringer, Running
Mirabella, Running
ChasJr, Running
Closer_2001, Spec
JewstV, Run/Spec?

V locity
04-26-12, 10:37 PM
OK.. I got the skinny on the event. We can create the "V" coral in the pit area. As a group we have to get there first thing in the morning. If you don't show up in the morning it will be very challenging to get in, but not imposable. I was visiting with Secret & he's got the Posse bringin the minivan with the tents and other things.

What I need next is for everyone to PM me an email address so I can coordinate better as we approach May 12th.

We are thinking Tailgate style in pit row (but open to ideas!), all the V's lined up or grouped together. The car show & air show will be on the next runway over, so we can walk to that from the pit area too.

BLEWBYUWIT6.2
05-02-12, 01:24 PM
I would like to hangout with you guys ....but dont want to run my car..... where are you guys meeting up ....my email is rodoms@gstoyota.com

V locity
05-02-12, 03:15 PM
We're going to be in the pit area for the race runway. Two runways are being used for the event, one for the aeros & auto show & one for the 1/2 mile race. The plan so far is to have a few canopies set up for the "V" coral gathering. Food, drink, electricity is still in planning stage.

To get to the pits for sure, you have to come in around 6am in the morning when everyone who is racing must enter. Otherwise, you're coming in with the heard (1000+ cars for the show). As you get into the area of the car show, you can for sure walk to the other runway & join us. It is still unclear whether you'll be able to get your car over to the pit area, there may be possibility of that.

Smokin_Cache
05-03-12, 11:48 PM
T minus 9 days and counting.

V locity
05-04-12, 07:47 AM
T minus 9 days and counting.

You going? Did that doctor come through with a Hall Pass?

Smokin_Cache
05-04-12, 10:32 AM
Huh? Don't know what you are talking about.

V locity
05-04-12, 11:31 AM
Thought you said you had to work that weekend?

Smokin_Cache
05-04-12, 08:59 PM
Nope all good to go. In facet I think my numbers arrived today. I think I am finally set.

V locity
05-04-12, 09:28 PM
Nice, we'll see you there! We'll be there with canopies & cameras :)

transam79
05-05-12, 08:12 AM
Email sent. I'll be there running my 2011 sedan. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

V locity
05-05-12, 08:35 AM
See you there TransAm!

So far:
Secret Weapon, Running
V locity, Spectator
JayC'sV, Spectator
Smokin_Cache, Running
bzabodyn, Spec
TXAG2004, Spec
deadringer, Running
Mirabella, Running
ChasJr, Running
Closer_2001, Spec
JewstV, Run/Spec?
Transam79, Running

V locity
05-06-12, 07:40 PM
So far:
Secret Weapon, Running
V locity, Spectator
JayC'sV, Spectator
Smokin_Cache, Running
bzabodyn, Spec
TXAG2004, Spec
deadringer, Running
Mirabella, Running
RabbitCTSV, will be there, spec not going to run
ChasJr, Running
Closer_2001, Spec
JewstV, Run/Spec?
Transam79, Running

V locity
05-06-12, 10:20 PM
Just got the kids to bed after quite the day.

Here's the deal. Anyone that is going to be running & anyone that wants to have 100% chance to park in the pits, needs to be there @ 6am(ish) on Saturday. I believe Dave at Hennessey told me that we all can get in at that time as they will have control of the gate to let the racers in. He said they will let the rest of us in too. I'll follow up one more time about the exact time they hand the gate back to the airport police, but I think it was 6:15 or 6:30am. Once they hand the gate over, it closes. At that point, the only way to get your car in, is to bring it into the car show. The car show is on the other runway, so you'll have to walk over to pit row if you leave your car there. He did mention that the EXIT for the car show goes past the pits. So there would be "a chance" that you could join the gang, with car in hand, by entering at a later time as a show participant, then "exiting early" just to detour into pit row. Third choice is just to park in normal parking as a show spectator, walk in, and walk on over for a little smack talk...

So... Three options:

1. Get there @ 6-630ish to a sure shot with your car on pit row. (exact gate close time to follow)
2. Come later with the crowd & have a "maybe" with you car on pit row, but a walk over for sure.
3. Come later & park outside, walk in and join us.

Since I will be bringing my V rather than my Denali, transport space is short. I'll bring a couple of chairs & a cooler with drinks & Ice. Secret is hookin us up on many items; he will set up a couple of 10x10 tents for shade & also have a generator and compressor there plus some tools, fans, cooler full of drinks for everyone and some other junk. Bring a chair or two to rest your dogs in between races. I would encourage all to join us, even if it's just you and nothing else. We'd really enjoy shootin the shot at the event. Should be a good time!

V locity
05-07-12, 09:47 AM
Confirmed... 6:30 am is when the gates for the racers & pits close.

V locity
05-07-12, 10:21 PM
I will have the Motorsport GoPro & a 50x 1080p Sony with tripod. Smokin Cache will be bringing another Motorsport GoPro too!

So we'll volunteer the cameras for y'alls run, just bring a thumb drive if you want to take it with you. Otherwise, I'll bring the SDs I have & the laptop. We should be able to download the footage off the cards & burn DVDs or just upload it to youtube. Once the Footage is all in, we can make some cool stuff from it too.

Either way, it's forming up to be a great time!

BTW, Thanks in advance to Mark (Secret Weapon) for everything he is contributing to the event. He was talking catered affair if it weren't such a drag to get past the gates. Hats off to Mark!

Smokin_Cache
05-07-12, 11:05 PM
I will also have the 7D to try to get some nice snapshots during the early light. I am going to try to go thru tech Friday so I can take pics early on Saturday before the sun gets to high. The thumb drives will come in handy for any pics you may want. I will give to you in jpg tif or canon raw your pick.

I am awaiting delivery of a trailer that I have been told there will be know issues getting the V onand secured. I will find out Thursdays evening. I learded the hard way never count on the car you are running to get you home after the race. You might get disappointed! If mine is driving away it may be available for those who may have issues.

Smokin_Cache
05-09-12, 11:56 PM
Holding breath for a dry day. Lips blue already

SecretWeapon
05-10-12, 03:34 AM
I have been watching the weather forecast daily for the last week and it is all over the place. One day sunny and the next day rainy. I really think they are just guessing. Will have to wait and see.

BLEWBYUWIT6.2
05-10-12, 05:26 PM
i will be there spectating......but not sure if im bringin the V or my lowrider for the carshow

Smokin_Cache
05-10-12, 06:13 PM
Those that are running check your email. New tech sheets and gear forms were sent out yesterday I think. If your like me I only check my personal email about once every two weeks. Lucky I checked today.

SecretWeapon
05-11-12, 07:36 AM
The boys at Gearhead Flicks have a link to prepay for them to video your car and your runs. You can also pay at the event if you wish. Options are nice.
www.gearheadflicks.com

Smokin_Cache
05-11-12, 07:46 PM
How many of you went thru tech today? It was nice meeting you Mike.

TXAG2004
05-11-12, 08:52 PM
My V did not arrive this week as expected. Went by the dealer today..."hopefully by the middle of the week". How is it you can track an envelope across the globe but they cant track a car from MI to TX? I was hoping to show up early tomorrow. I'll swing by and meet everybody once yall are set up.

V locity
05-12-12, 09:24 AM
Event is on... about 1/2 the cars are there now, and the rain has just stopped. Should be a decent day...

V locity
05-12-12, 09:21 PM
Nice Meeting everyone at the race! Great time & great people!!!

Weather turned out nice, maybe a little hot, but nice. The Huey fly overs were kind of a trip?

We had camera f**kuptis on every level, so limited footage, but we'll try to get something up.

The V's ran from the 130s to the 150s. Tops was the same Ford GT at TexasMile, 210mph. Mike's stock car not far behind.

BTW, Mike... That Nascar of yours sounds absolutely WICKED!

A Big Thanks to Mark (secret weapon) and his posy for all the food & hospitality too!

V locity
05-13-12, 01:47 PM
Here's Mirabella's run, 149 mph...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX7QS_5yVng

Smokin_Cache
05-14-12, 02:07 PM
For those I didn't meet this time I will see you next time. Thank you Mark for all the hospitality! I was a great time. V Locity Thanks for wrangling it all together and for the camera!

Here is the only video I got of the day. My first run a 137.3

http://youtu.be/WPtPg5mpd7I

Smokin_Cache
05-14-12, 03:14 PM
Mark this looks like you, but it doesn't look or sound like you smoked the tires to me.

http://youtu.be/CHP0INNbO6M

V locity
05-14-12, 04:46 PM
^^^ Had to be Mark. He was the only silver streaker there.

SecretWeapon
05-14-12, 07:09 PM
Hi guys. Yes, this is me on my very first run ever. My first run was 136mph. I couldn't find 5th gear so I panicked, put it in neutral and coasted the last 150 yards. My next run I nailed it through all 5 gears and it felt really really fast. Unfortunately, the timer did not work and I got a no time on my slip. I kept missing gears until my final run of the day. I was hot, the weather was hot the car was hot and I still got a 148.6. Close enough to my goal of 150 to make me very very happy. I had my new clutch installed and picked up the car on Thursday morning, drove it down to G force on Thursday afternoon for a tune, got a little time with the new clutch on Friday and then raced on Saturday. One thing that I noticed is that my shifter is a lot stiffer than it was before the clutch install. I guess they tightened up the linkage to the trans. I think this added to my shifting ****ups, but then again I was nervous and excited and the sensory overload was definitely a factor. This is the information that I got on the orange Lambo that was behind me taking the video. the owners name is Joe and he was a totally first class guy.

It's a 2007 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder. 520bhp stock, AWD, E-gear (electronic clutch paddle shifter, so it can shift without lifting the accelerator and the car handles engaging and disengaging the clutch). The only modifications are a carbon fiber sport exhaust, carbon fiber air boxes and dual exhaust tips all by Fabspeed (www.fabspeed.com), those add maybe 40whp at the high end of the rpm range but not really a significant performance gain.

I ran 139.7mph in the 1/2 mile using launch control (electronic stability control off, the car revs to 4 or 5k rpms and then dumps the clutch), and my other two runs were 134.5 and 134.6.

V locity
05-16-12, 06:36 PM
More Video & Pics...

Smokin_Cache run & "taxi" back to line...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No_lk49rC5U

Pit Row Fun in the Cadillac Corals!

Smokin Cache Wondering how that cop is gonna catch him :)