: Dear Interior Designers...

Jon
03-31-12, 12:15 AM
Have any of you ever driven a manual transmission vehicle?

My first gen V and 2nd gen V6 are both manual transmissions... Ever put a water bottle in the cup holder? Makes shifting an absolute pain. I've sat in the ATS and had it powered up. Although I haven't gotten to drive one yet, I can tell you the same problem seems to exist.

Why can we not do something like the Corvette, where the shifter is offset to the left and the cup holders are to the right? Come on guys...

thebigjimsho
03-31-12, 06:49 PM
The Corvette has a transaxle. In the rear.

You could have those weak European clip designs hanging from the dash...

JimmyH
03-31-12, 07:10 PM

Dear lord, please, no.

----------

for the record, 12oz cans don't interfere with shifting.

Jon
03-31-12, 07:49 PM
The Corvette has a transaxle. In the rear.

Ford Taurus, Lincoln MKS, they all have offset shifters. And theyre automatic

http://www.lifeofjustin.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/DSC_0032-585x391.jpg

JimmyH
03-31-12, 08:58 PM
Those cars are wider I think. Putting the cup holders next to the shifter in the ats would make the console 4" wider. Which would make the seats 2" narrower. Which isn't a problem for a skinny guy like you. Big problem for a fat guy like me.

rand49er
03-31-12, 11:32 PM
Just use 1st, 3rd, and 5th ... when you're drinking, that is. :alchi:

thebigjimsho
04-01-12, 01:22 AM
Those cars are wider I think. Putting the cup holders next to the shifter in the ats would make the console 4" wider. Which would make the seats 2" narrower. Which isn't a problem for a skinny guy like you. Big problem for a fat guy like me.

The SHO and the cars on that platform are big. Yet, everyone bitches about the intrusion of the center tunnel. It's very bad...

----------

Besides, I have never had an issue with the cupholders in my Vs...

Jon
04-01-12, 02:43 PM
Can of soda or cup of coffee isn't a problem. I must be the only one that drinks bottled water?

JimmyH
04-01-12, 03:31 PM
I know what you are talking about. If I buy a 16 oz bottle of soda, having it in the cupholder is a pain. But I doubt we are going to see a trend towards cupholders being next to the shifter, so I just avoid bottles. Actually, I don't often have any drinks in the car, so it's not much of a problem.

The Enclave has the cupholders to the right of the shifter like you are talking about. But were that car a stick shift, you would constantly be bumping the bottles when shifting into 5th and 6th. So I am not sure the placement you are hoping for would be any better.

thebigjimsho
04-01-12, 11:39 PM
Can of soda or cup of coffee isn't a problem. I must be the only one that drinks bottled water?

Buy Dasani or Aquafina and SHADDUP!

JimmyH
04-02-12, 12:06 AM
Well, he drinks bottled water, and he is a pretty fit guy. I drink Mountain Dew, and I am a fatass. There must be a connection there somewhere.

The bottom line is; I suspect a good chunk of ATS buyers will be fat guys like me, so please GM, don't skimp on the seats!!!

LS3 MN6
04-03-12, 12:28 AM
The GTO suffers from this problem.

I just use the "back" cupholder and then I can shift.

The Corvette cupholders have their own issues (like being too shallow and things falling out of them).

Most good driving cars have crappy cup holders, you want a cup holder buy a minivan. I use my cup holders for change 95% of the time.

imak92
04-29-12, 04:03 AM
Hhhh jimmy u r hilarious
I'll bet u can get girls with that humour

Good thing for fat guys :p

But yah there are different types of bottled water man
Like smaller ones I see them all the time maybe u should switch to them
I drive an automatic , so not a problem

I really dont understand why the manual aren't getting those cool paddle shifters on the steering wheel

rand49er
04-29-12, 10:09 PM
... I really dont understand why the manual aren't getting those cool paddle shifters on the steering wheel:suspense:

JimmyH
04-30-12, 05:42 PM
I am gonna put some paddles on my manual trans car.

EnvoyBu
04-30-12, 07:23 PM
To anyone that has sat in the ATS:

Does the B pillar intrude your shoulder when the front seat is all the way back or in the normal driving position? That's my biggest fear about the car overall. I'm sold on everything except that. Can anyone shed some light on that issue?

Jon
04-30-12, 09:45 PM
To anyone that has sat in the ATS:

Does the B pillar intrude your shoulder when the front seat is all the way back or in the normal driving position? That's my biggest fear about the car overall. I'm sold on everything except that. Can anyone shed some light on that issue?

I didn't pay extra attention to it, but I don't remember it being an issue.

concorso
04-30-12, 11:05 PM
I really dont understand why the manual aren't getting those cool paddle shifters on the steering wheelIsnt it obvious? Paddles wont work on the steering wheel with a manual trans!

Obviously the paddles will be attached to the gear shift! DUh!

----------

I just use the "back" cupholder and then I can shift.
This. I always have a thermos of water with me and Ill leave it in the rear cup holders. Even with an automatic 1st gen, Ive found the same problem. I dont know what the ATS will have, but the 1st gen CTS had mesh nets on the back of the front seats. You can wedge water bottles in there securely enough that they wont flop around much. This will stretch the mesh permanently, so not the best solution.

----------

You could have those weak European clip designs hanging from the dash...They are bogus. Ive had 3 E39's, and Ive replaced the cupholders in each of them, more then once in my last 03 540i. Its not like Im very heavy fisted either. I suppose if the Euro clip cup holders were made of carbotanium, Id be ok with them being used in Cadillacs.

EnvoyBu
04-30-12, 11:31 PM
I didn't pay extra attention to it, but I don't remember it being an issue.

OMG thanks for this! One reason I didn't get the outgoing 335i was because of this issue. If so, I'm sold on the ATS! :D