: break problems on 2000 escalade

hardtimez
11-19-04, 09:27 PM
my escalade feels like it isnt going to stop. I took it in they adjusted the back breaks and made it alot better but about a week later same thing any body have any ideas.

Xrayqueen
11-20-04, 09:44 PM
my escalade feels like it isnt going to stop. I took it in they adjusted the back breaks and made it alot better but about a week later same thing any body have any ideas.
I have a 2000 also. When I first purchased it I had the same experience. I have 22in Davin. on it so that makes the suspension a little different then stock. I took it to my suspension people they over inflated the tires more than recommended Psi. That made the ride less bouncy and it seen to assist the stopping issue. I just let it coast more when I'm coming to a stop before applying the brakes. I think it is just something you have to get used to. Because it is a heavy vehicle and you have to allow for a greater stopping distance or get larger brakes :( But it's a great truck just give it time.
Peace :welcome:

csmooth79
11-23-04, 02:26 AM
I agree, I have 24 inch Giovanna's and found out quickly that it takes a while to stop a truck this large. I bought some better pads up front, but with discs in the rear there isnt much you can do. Hope u enjoy it and pray for some snow so I can play.

slimm44
11-23-04, 03:50 AM
I agree, I have 24 inch Giovanna's and found out quickly that it takes a while to stop a truck this large. I bought some better pads up front, but with discs in the rear there isnt much you can do. Hope u enjoy it and pray for some snow so I can play.
you mean drums in the rear?

you can upgrade to rear discs for better stopping. i'm planning on getting the ssbrakes.com kit at some point in time.

cecygrr
11-23-04, 01:16 PM
My 99's steering wheel shakes as I brake- normally at about 40mph.
Have you had this?

slimm44
11-23-04, 05:23 PM
My 99's steering wheel shakes as I brake- normally at about 40mph.
Have you had this?
might be warped rotors. my mom's tahoe has it bad, so i'm going to swap my still good factory rotors into hers since i upgraded to prostop rotors.

Daryl in KY
11-24-04, 09:21 AM
Hardtimez,

I replaced the front rotors on my 2000 lade with cross drilled Brembo rotors (from eBay) and EBC 6000 pads (Tire Rack). I also replaced the OE rubber brake lines with steel braided lines. I had a local tire shop that I trusted do the work. They also adjusted the rear brakes. I have much better brake pedal respone. The rear brake adjustment is probably temporary, you may want to get new adjustors for the rear to make sure that they are working.

You may also want to check your brake fluid level. I don't think that it is a high probability that you are low on fluid, but what you describe could be air in the brake lines or low fluid. Did the shop that adjusted your brakes mess with anything else? With brakes, make sure you take it to a shop that you trust and will guarantee their work.

My Lade also developed a steering wheel wrobble when braking at about 55,000 miles. The shop replaced the tie rod ends which helped a lot. Now I will get a little of it if I let the vehicle sit a while. I suspect that the pads/rotors stick a little until the rotors get shined up. I have the original tire size, but larger tires would probably make the wrobble worse.

slimm44
11-24-04, 05:49 PM
i also have those EBC 6000 pads and they're great.
you can install front brake rotors, pads, and stainless steel brake lines yourself and save some money. it doesn't take very long and is pretty easy. i could walk somebody through it if they want to attempt it themselves.

hardtimez
11-24-04, 07:15 PM
Thanks guys it just maybe time for un upgrade of the old braking system. If any of you need any car audio help let me know i have a shop here in utah

Xrayqueen
11-24-04, 09:12 PM
Hardtimez,

I replaced the front rotors on my 2000 lade with cross drilled Brembo rotors (from eBay) and EBC 6000 pads (Tire Rack). I also replaced the OE rubber brake lines with steel braided lines. I had a local tire shop that I trusted do the work. They also adjusted the rear brakes. I have much better brake pedal respone. The rear brake adjustment is probably temporary, you may want to get new adjustors for the rear to make sure that they are working.

You may also want to check your brake fluid level. I don't think that it is a high probability that you are low on fluid, but what you describe could be air in the brake lines or low fluid. Did the shop that adjusted your brakes mess with anything else? With brakes, make sure you take it to a shop that you trust and will guarantee their work.

My Lade also developed a steering wheel wrobble when braking at about 55,000 miles. The shop replaced the tie rod ends which helped a lot. Now I will get a little of it if I let the vehicle sit a while. I suspect that the pads/rotors stick a little until the rotors get shined up. I have the original tire size, but larger tires would probably make the wrobble worse.

I sometimes hear air when I depress the break pedal. Is it normal to hear this sound ??? I don't know if that's a good thing :confused: My issue's are the squeaking sounds when I break which is driving me crazy :banghead: Caddy dealer resurfaced rotors and put on new pads. They were probally the cheapest they could find. Lubrication does not stop the squeak. I will now pay $600.00 to have Delco pads and have the rotors resurfaced again. Any comments are welcomed. Also Happy Turkey Day :)
Peace :hmm:

slimm44
11-24-04, 09:26 PM
does it make a "pssst" sound? if so, then thats normal.

$600?!?!?! go to tirerack.com and buy:

Powerslot ProStop II Rotor (right) $114
Powerslot ProStop II Rotor (left) $114
(or any pair of rotors they have)
EBC 6000 Series Truck/SUV Pads $62.10

all you need to change your brake pads and rotors is an allen wrench, your lug wrench, and a jack. its very easy. and you save ~$300 (depending on shipping).

Xrayqueen
11-24-04, 09:42 PM
does it make a "pssst" sound? if so, then thats normal.

$600?!?!?! go to tirerack.com and buy:

Powerslot ProStop II Rotor (right) $114
Powerslot ProStop II Rotor (left) $114
(or any pair of rotors they have)
EBC 6000 Series Truck/SUV Pads $62.10

all you need to change your brake pads and rotors is an allen wrench, your lug wrench, and a jack. its very easy. and you save ~$300 (depending on shipping).
Hi I know it's expensive :( I have been dealing with these suspension people for years. They are good honest people. Unfortunately I'm a girl. I know about cars but I'm not capable to work on my own vehicle :( So I got to pay for the luxury. The squeaking must go at any cost. Unless you want to come over and help me :D
Peace :bouncy:

slimm44
11-25-04, 05:33 AM
c'mon, get a little dirty and get to know your truck a little more. i need to replace my pads this week because of a little hub separation problem i had, lol (link if you're interested in what happened (http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14144&highlight=fuuuck)) so i could do a step by step in pictures for ya if you want. it really is very easy and you don't have to pay labor costs for someone else to do it.

Xrayqueen
11-25-04, 01:16 PM
c'mon, get a little dirty and get to know your truck a little more. i need to replace my pads this week because of a little hub separation problem i had, lol (link if you're interested in what happened (http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14144&highlight=fuuuck)) so i could do a step by step in pictures for ya if you want. it really is very easy and you don't have to pay labor costs for someone else to do it.
Thanks but no thanks. That hand shot was enough to sway me :D Mr. Lucky would never be the same if I attempted a brake job on him. I'll leave it to the experts. I would not even like to see his parts exposed as such :) But thanks for the information. Now you can either come over or send me the $600.00 :histeric:
Peace :D

skides1
11-27-04, 02:45 PM
I'm with you slimm. I got croos drilled rotors and ceramic pads for 230 and a friend and I put them on in less than an hour in a Shucks parking lot. I can let you guys know that even after all my brake mods my Lade still stops like a loaded grain truck. The only improvement I see is a redection in the warping of my rotors with no improvement in pedal feel. I see Brembo Big-Brake conversions which with a rear disc conversion may make a huge difference but I do not have the 5K needed. The 02+ models have much improved 4 wheel discs and Brembo offers a 14 inch rotor upgrade for a reasonable price but we are stuck with what we have util we come up with the money for my new navi GS430!???;p)

Daryl in KY
11-29-04, 09:08 AM
To help the soft pedal you have to install the braided brake lines. It helps, but it still will not give the hard pedal feel that some people like. Brake pads have a significant affect on how the brakes bite. The EBC 6000 pads are designed for the big SUV's and have a good initial bite and almost eliminated the dust. I doubt that they will last as long as some of the other pads, but I suspect they will have better life than the OE pads.

We drive a 6,000 lb vehicle. It won't stop like my wife's Accord with 4 wheel disc brakes. But that doesn't mean that we can't keep the brake system in tip-top condition and get good braking from the front disc / rear drum system. It does mean making sure the rear brakes are doing their share.

I also get the "hiss" from the brake pedal. It's the brake booster. I commented on it when I had the vehicle in for some work. The dealer replaced the booster (under warranty) but the new one developed the same hiss after a couple of months. As far as I can tell it doesn't affect the brakes.

DeL2000
11-29-04, 10:27 AM
I'm looking to replace the shoes on the rear and was wondering if anyone has done it. Is replaceing shoes on the rear drums difficult?...I love working on my lade and I rather do it myself then at the shop. I can do front brakes, but never actually worked on drums. Any advise or step by step.... Thanks!!

:rolleyes:

aguereca
07-29-05, 10:41 AM
Did you get any feedback on this?
I've had the same problem with my 2000 escalade.
First it craked my pads and now I'm unable to adjust the brakes.
Keeps craking my pads and its hard to stop. it seems like it has play.
The dealer also told me that it was all in the adjusting or bleeding of the breakes.

Xrayqueen
07-29-05, 10:54 AM
Did you get any feedback on this?
I've had the same problem with my 2000 escalade.
First it craked my pads and now I'm unable to adjust the brakes.
Keeps craking my pads and its hard to stop. it seems like it has play.
The dealer also told me that it was all in the adjusting or bleeding of the breakes.

I took Mr. Lucky to another cadillac dealer and they put new pads and rotors on for free. The first dealer I think just sprayed some gunk on them. They said they put new pads and rotors on but I didn't believe them. Thats why I went to another dealer. My truck had less than 35,000 miles on it. I haven't had any problems since. Thank God !!!! But the stock breaks to me are a piece of sh** if you're running large wheels :( IMO
Peace Xrayqueen :)

aguereca
07-29-05, 11:10 AM
I'm out of warranty now.. but still under warranty they wanted about $300 to replace and bleed.

aguereca
07-29-05, 11:11 AM
escalade

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm out of warranty now.. but still under warranty they wanted about $300 to replace and bleed

aguereca
07-29-05, 11:19 AM
The trick is just to put the parts back where you took them from.
The hardest is taking the drum out (if stuck) and after putting it back on.. then adjusting after the shoes are in
Drum brakes suck! they should be like ths new Cadi.. they came with All disk

I'm looking to replace the shoes on the rear and was wondering if anyone has done it. Is replaceing shoes on the rear drums difficult?...I love working on my lade and I rather do it myself then at the shop. I can do front brakes, but never actually worked on drums. Any advise or step by step.... Thanks!!

:rolleyes:

aguereca
07-29-05, 11:34 AM
Has anyone done a rear break change from Drums to Disk. any suggestions?
I hate dealing with drums

aguereca
08-10-05, 09:50 AM
any suggestions on the read drum to disk conversion ?

hilldo
08-10-05, 11:59 AM
A hint if you are just changing pads take a small vice grip and clamp the fluid line shut before you mess with the calipers.

You wont have to bleed the line.

Bigkondor
08-10-05, 09:13 PM
My gut feeling here is if you cant spell what you want to work on maybe you should not try.You are talking about safety heat friction and hydraulics here. Maybe pay a pro???

aguereca
08-16-05, 11:52 AM
any suggestions on the read drum to disk conversion ?

Thanks Bigkondor, you were a lot of help.