: What to do... What to do...

Davie Dynamite
03-29-12, 08:56 PM
Hey everyone! Im Dave. I'm new, lol. I just wanted to introduce myself.

I'm here because I was hoping some Escalade owners could give me some advice. I just had my Hummer H2 stolen and I'm on the market for a new truck. I was instinctively going to get a 2009 H2 but then I started thinking about the Escalade. Obviously, I'm not going to come to an Escalade forum and say "which one should I get?" lol But I was curious if anyone can tell me what makes the Escalade a superior vehicle? Little things... Big things... What do you love about it that makes it so great?

Also, if anyone has ever owned both, please weigh in!

Also, is Cadillac planning on releasing a new generation Escalade is the near future??

Thanks in advance :)

P.S. What year would you recommend to a buyer? Any big differences from 2009 to 2012??

bigtone1013
03-29-12, 09:34 PM
I got an 07 and I love it the minor problems I had with it have been rectified those were no aux input and no Bluetooth a gmx 550 for the inputs and bluestAr for the Bluetooth solved that. Also the customer service I've been given so far at Cadillac has been awesome.

chakde
03-29-12, 10:06 PM
I came from an Avalanche to the Escalade Ext last year. I loved it so much that this year I am currently in the process of switching from the Yukon XL Denali to the Escalade ESV Platinum. Waiting on my factory order, hopefully be here by mid April.

murphy
03-29-12, 10:39 PM
Welcome.
You want to consider at least a 2009 Platinum ( special interior, grill, wheels and LED headlights) 2009 to get bluetooth, rain sense wipers (deleted on newer models). if $ is no option as well as size the 2012 ESV Platinum is the king but although you will get all the new features but you won't get the rain sense wipers or auto dimming headlights

h2kool4tn
03-29-12, 11:23 PM
You know what, the one thing you will get the most is that "Escalade" feel driving down the street. Ever since I bought this 2011 Premium (power running boards gets the look everytime), I take my sweet time driving everywhere because I actually love being in the vehicle itself, no need to get anywhere in a hurry. People stopped and asked about it at rest stops, parking lots, parties, and yes thieves will too. It's like living a "rap" song, you know.

MJCT208
03-29-12, 11:36 PM
I came from an 05 hummer h2 and went to a 2008 escalade. I loved the hummer to death and cried the day I watched it drive away from me and my family. There really is
"nothing else like it" as much as I love my escalade, there was just something speical about driving the car. But the escalade is a totally different truck. It handles like my
mercedes sl500 and has plenty of power. The interior of the escalade is beauiful compared to the blan hummer. Also the escalade is just that much eaiser to drive day to day
because of size, even though its just a couple inches difference, it changes the daily use that your used to in your hummer to a joke to drive. I love the car to death but if I
could id love to have my hummer back again. So as much luxury this truck has there is just nothing like the hummer. It's really your decision, just trying to help as I have
owened the 2 trucks

Playdrv4me
03-30-12, 01:43 AM
It handles like my
mercedes sl500

Considering my SL500 was no superstar in the handling department, I'll agree with this, I guess? The Escalade IS on a newer, better handling platform than the GMT800 based H2.

Anyway, since no one has actually answered your question on differences directly, I guess I'll give it a shot.

The first thing you will notice going from the H2 to the Escalade is the difference in quality. I'm sorry but my H2 was not a cornerstone of quality. The interior is plasticky and strangely, very tight for such a huge vehicle. Even though the Escalade is still a GM product, the interior quality has been increased nicely from the H2 (though some of the parts and pieces and leathers in the PRIOR Escalade generation were better). The biggest contributor to this is the fact that they designed the interior of the GMT900 Escalade to look more like a CAR and less like a TRUCK. You'll immediately notice the difference and the airy, open feel of the Escalade's cabin. It is TRULY a nice place to spend time like the guy above said.

Next is improvements in the electronics and amenities. The navigation system blows away the one in the Hummers and GMT800 SUVs with a bigger screen, better graphical elements and a higher resolution. All of the buttons, controls and displays in the Escalade are backlit with LEDs instead of incandescent bulbs. The center stack has an upscale feel (still plastic wood unfortunately) and all of the controls feel like they belong in a higher end vehicle.

One thing that was NEVER available on the H2, and sorely lacking was Xenon headlights. The 2nd gen GMT800 Escalade used reflective xenons, and the GMT900 uses projectors. There are also LEDs used liberally on the EXTERIOR of the vehicle, including the tail lamp clusters (SUV only), and the front parking indicators. The wheels on the Escalade are larger and nicer than anything the H2 ever offered as stock equipment.

I won't get into the powertrain because the H2 *was* available with the 6.2L motor and tranny combo in the final years. Nevertheless, the Escalade should be lighter, and more agile than any H2 can possible aspire to.

Keep in mind that if you get a Platinum Escalade, there are even more benefits. The "Tehama" leather is of better quality, the dashboard is nicer, you get LED headlamps after 2009 (though it is debatable if these provide any additional brightness over the Xenons, splitting hairs really), and so on. Bluetooth is also only available after 2009 but there are ways to put that in.

As for when the next Escalade is coming out, the best guess is sometime in 2013 as a 2014 model. It *could* be as early as January 2013 but that is unlikely, as GM learned their lesson from the accelerated scheduling of the GMT900 SUVs not having much of an impact on overall sales, and thus probably won't move THAT quickly this time around. Bottom line, if you want an Escalade, waiting around is going to be a long wait.

Last but not least, the H2 was "cool" for a very limited period of time. After that they were "ok" and now in my opinion whenever I see one they just make the driver look silly. Everyone knows Hummer no longer exists, so unless you're a REAL Hummer enthusiast, the H2 just makes you look like you're out of touch. The H2 is big, heavy, gets horrendous fuel economy even as compared to the Escalade, and just isn't all that special anymore. My advice is that if the Escalade doesn't work for you, take a look at a Range Rover or Mercedes G Class (*NOT* GL class, those are junk). If you have the ability to buy whatever you want, there's no need to rush back to an H2 unless you are in the enthusiast camp and then it's ultimately your money to spend how you wish. Good luck.

hcvone
03-30-12, 06:40 AM
Welcome.
You want to consider at least a 2009 Platinum ( special interior, grill, wheels and LED headlights) 2009 to get bluetooth, rain sense wipers (deleted on newer models). if $ is no option as well as size the 2012 ESV Platinum is the king but although you will get all the new features but you won't get the rain sense wipers or auto dimming headlights

They still have auto dimming headlights, they have not taken them away, YET

corvette00
03-30-12, 08:57 AM
Go with a 10 or newer so you get magnetic ride.

K9Caddy
03-30-12, 09:00 AM
09's had magnetic ride too. ;)

trich24
03-30-12, 09:25 AM
Great Info above but here's my version although been covered

Had an H2 SUV wanted more room an was sick of how it drove personally after owning two of them slow sluggish cornered horrible, ugly trim etc

Everything on an Escalade is positive and a 100x better everywhere

The interior is far better looking and usable, instrument cluster unless you had an 08 H2 is amazing comparatively, the 6.2 with the 6 speed is SOOO much better than the sluggish 6.0 and 4 speed shifts better and at 80 its not in the high rpms and shaky like the Duece was, my H2 had a bench hated it, HID's are always good, remote start, cooled seats all upgrades

Just drive one and you will know instantly with a huge grin on your face

I will get another H2 probably an SUT because I cant justify camping with the escalade and obviously no offroading at all with the clearance and the awd is not the same as 4wd

I do miss having the air pressure nozzle in trunk which the escalade should have with the compressor back there as well to fill tires,toys etc again your Duece would have needed the air suspension for this to count

If you never offroad and things the escalade 150% If you do a little I'd drive a newer Duece and compare the 08's 09's are much much nicer you get into the escalade refinement in the inside no more plastic etc, new gauge cluster, a nav screen but different its smaller like a tahoe or suburban.

If mpgs may be import. The escalade being much better i thought looking at #'s isn't really true. Mine gets similar if not worse that the H2 I thought it was a phase when new but its so hard to not be in the right pedal so don't expect much on the highway yes but the H2 was ok on the highway also

Davie Dynamite
03-30-12, 01:06 PM
Thanks so much everyone! That was a great response. So is it safe to say that I should aim for a 2009 and up? Money isn't really a problem but I'd like to keep it under $65k... Just because I'll be putting money into some accessories and mods etc...

I know Platinum is the top notch... is premium right under that? Do you lose key features with the Premium?

Some dealers around here haven't been that helpful. You guys have already helped me way more lol

Playdrv4me
03-30-12, 02:02 PM
Thanks so much everyone! That was a great response. So is it safe to say that I should aim for a 2009 and up? Money isn't really a problem but I'd like to keep it under $65k... Just because I'll be putting money into some accessories and mods etc...

I know Platinum is the top notch... is premium right under that? Do you lose key features with the Premium?

Some dealers around here haven't been that helpful. You guys have already helped me way more lol

65k should be *NO* problem for a 2009 Platinum, maybe even a 2010. In fact, you should be able to spend well under that (these things depreciate pretty heavily the first few years, then remain pretty stable after that) and get everything. The biggest thing you lose going down to the lower trims (they were named differently depending on which year you get) is honestly the quality of the leather. The leather in a regular Escalade is pretty bad. When you move up to the Platinum you get the Tehama leather which SHOULD have been standard equipment. You also get the LED headlights (which are now optional on other trims for 2012) and wheels which are unique to the Platinum. The older the model year, the less price difference there will be between a Platinum and a standard Escalade and thus, the more you should go for the Platinum.

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-30-12, 03:35 PM
Really loving all the positive feedback so far! :)

Welcome, Dave! I'm sorry to hear about the Hummer, but it's great that you're thinking about a Cadillac in your future. If you're looking for alternative dealerships to try that are near you, http://www.cadillac.com/tools/dealerlocator/search.do is a wonderful resource for you. (And the "Certified Pre-Owned (http://www.cadillac.com/certified-pre-owned-vehicles/benefits.html)" tool at the top of that page lets you search for pre-owned Escalades and shows all the exciting benefits that come along with our Cadillac Certified Pre-Owned program.) Email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com and I'm happy to answer questions about your future ride.

Have a great weekend,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Davie Dynamite
03-31-12, 01:52 PM
Thanks Playdrv4me. I'm just having a hard time figuring out which ones are Platinum in Autotrader. Maybe Cadillac Cust Service can help me out with that...

I'll shoot you an email right now and fill you in.

It's a nice community here. You've already been very helpful.

Playdrv4me
03-31-12, 11:03 PM
Thanks Playdrv4me. I'm just having a hard time figuring out which ones are Platinum in Autotrader. Maybe Cadillac Cust Service can help me out with that...

I'll shoot you an email right now and fill you in.

It's a nice community here. You've already been very helpful.

On 2009+ models, there will be two primary giveaways when you are looking at the exterior photos of the truck:

The first is the LED headlamps I mentioned earlier. They have their own distinctive pattern of "globes" that emit the light from the LED units. You'll notice that the Platinum LEDs look almost like spider eyes, while the standard Escalades have one single Bi-Xenon projector at the very bottom of the light unit.

The Platinum headlights will look like this...

http://www.autoline.tv/journal-wp-content/uploads/2008/02/headlamps.jpg

Next is the Platinum wheels. Be careful, because they do make replica Platinum wheels, and/or people sell their Platinum wheels to someone else who ends up sticking them on a regular Escalade. Best to make sure that the truck you look at has BOTH the Platinum wheels AND headlights together. I could go on about the differences in the dashboard, the leather and such, but I know it's not easy to look for all that. These two exterior changes will give you the best indication. Of course, there's also a Platinum badge on the tail gate of Platinums. To make matters more confusing, there's also Platinum Hybrid which I believe started in 2010. Up to you whether you want that, but be aware the engine in the Hybrid is the old 6.0 versus the newer 6.2L.

These are the Platinum wheels:

http://www.carrios.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/2011-Cadillac-Escalade-Hybrid-Platinum-wheel.jpg

Here's the whole truck. As you can see, there is also subtle differences to the grilles up front:

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/images/12/2007/11/medium_2008_Cadillac_Escalade_Platinum.jpg

Davie Dynamite
04-03-12, 09:55 AM
Thanks! The wheels will give me a point of reference with the little pictures on autotrader... If I see the wheels, I'll look into it more.

I appreciate it!

Is there anything at all "wrong" with a 2009 or 2010 platinum?

MrHolland
04-03-12, 01:55 PM
I have a 2010 and love it. The 2009 was the best optioned Escalade, IMHO. Some in the forum have indicated the 2012 is the best to date, ride and insulation.

Davie Dynamite
04-03-12, 04:52 PM
Update:

Still haven't heard from my insurance company yet, but I am having a big problem locating an Escalade I like in and around my area.

Does anyone know anything about importing a vehicle from a dealer in the US. I'm in Canada.

My local Cadillac dealer said they could get any truck I wanted... but he didn't specify any details. He said it was really hard to import it myself and to have them do it and to be honest, I'd rather them do it so they can look after the details...

I found this on ebay that looks great... what are your thoughts? I'm new. I need some experts. It is under what I wanted to spend which is good... but I started thinking of an 09 platinum... What is a good price for a decent low km 09 Platinum? If it's significant, I might just wait and see if one pops up.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Cadillac-Escalade-/190659955485?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2c64380b1d#ht_29403wt_1398

MrHolland
04-03-12, 05:02 PM
I know there is someone in here that imported one from the US to Canada, maybe he'll chime in!!

----------

That is the same car I have and I love it

murphy
04-03-12, 05:15 PM
Does anyone know anything about importing a vehicle from a dealer in the US. I'm in Canada.

I'm in Alberta and brought my 2009 Platinum in from a Caddie dealer in Oklahoma much cheaper than here. I'd say that 2010 is a decent buy if you want black. You do get a benefit purchasing from a Caddie dealer with a supplemental GM Caddie warranty which was important for me. There is a $2K gas guzzler tax and pst and/or gst plus shipping, a little clearance duty and the out of country/provincial inspections but the savings far outweigh these.

MrHolland
04-03-12, 08:08 PM
I figured you'd chime in Mr Murph. I didn't want to drop your name, in case you figured out a way to smuggle a 5000 lb Cadillac to Canada. LOL!!!

murphy
04-03-12, 08:47 PM
I figured you'd chime in Mr Murph. I didn't want to drop your name, in case you figured out a way to smuggle a 5000 lb Cadillac to Canada. LOL!!!
Hah..I knew it Mr. H. and read into your subtle prompt :)..btw you musta put your 'lade on a diet as I think mine pushes 6000lbs

MrHolland
04-03-12, 10:52 PM
Its outta gas right now AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!

murphy
04-03-12, 10:59 PM
Mine too..can't afford to fill it :) :)

Davie Dynamite
04-04-12, 10:28 AM

I'm in Alberta and brought my 2009 Platinum in from a Caddie dealer in Oklahoma much cheaper than here. I'd say that 2010 is a decent buy if you want black. You do get a benefit purchasing from a Caddie dealer with a supplemental GM Caddie warranty which was important for me. There is a $2K gas guzzler tax and pst and/or gst plus shipping, a little clearance duty and the out of country/provincial inspections but the savings far outweigh these.

Really eh? So it's not as tough as the dealer made it sound? Did you just get it shipped or did you go check it out first? I feel like I'd be really nervous without seeing it first...

Also, I'm having a tough time finding a selection of Platinums. I'm seeing 2010 Premiums and Luxury... what is the difference between the 2?

murphy
04-04-12, 11:46 AM
After I found this unit that I eventually purchased I actually made a call out to this forums' members for a local resident as well as the Corvette forum I visit and had offers from both. One particular fellow lived blocks from the dealership and went over, inspected and sent me pics and comments for free. I ended up sending him a gracious sum for his time via Paypal (he asked for nothing)..I closed the dealer from there and had a firm called Cross Border recommend a shipper -Trade Winds and Cross Border did all the rest.
I strongly recommend dealing with a Caddie dealer as I mentioned the GM supplemental warranty is invaluable.
Do a vehicle search for Platinums with AutoTrader.com There actaully was another internet site I used that compiled 3-4 search services but don't recall the name just now.
They (Platinums) are out there you just gotta look and find/choose from no less than 5 or 6 before buying..PM me if you'd like.

Davie Dynamite
04-04-12, 01:20 PM
Wow. Thanks so much! I may PM you if I find one and want to move forward with importing it. I really appreciate it.

I found a 2008 Platinum with 45,000 miles for $45,000. Would you recommend a 2008 Platinum or a 2009/2010 Premium?

I want to limit myself at $50k... I found an 09 for $48,000 so I guess I'm looking for an 08/09... Keeping it under $50k would be great!

Edit: I found a 2010 Plat for $54k... if that's a typical price, then a 2010 is back in the running... Maybe I'll aim to keep it under $55k. lol! :)

MrHolland
04-04-12, 01:56 PM
I'm not sure the money is right for the 2008. I'm also thinking that 2009 is the year of the first "real" platinum

murphy
04-04-12, 02:08 PM
2009 still has rain sense but no fuel mgmnt which came in '10. Also more warranty of course with '10...you're choice I guess

Playdrv4me
04-05-12, 03:07 AM
Get an '09 to keep your costs down as much as possible. All of the features that really matter are there. If you get an '08, then it's not worth bothering with a Platinum without the LED headlamps.

patmack
04-05-12, 11:32 AM
Get the 10 with active fuel managment and then you can get the iphone/Droid app! Remote link is awesome!