: Warning Light 10 hours from home....!

WarrenMRogers
03-29-12, 08:41 PM
My 2004 CTS-V has been running FLAWLESSLY (aside from the swps) but on vacation I got a CEL and a light to the lower left of the dash with an outline of a car with a lock through it. The car still seems to be running great. All temperatures are in optimal running range, and the oil pressure is spot on. The fluids are all where they should be. The tires are new and properly inflated, the gas cap is on as far as I can tell and there isn't any noticeable change in engine performance. I've felt bad spark plugs before and this does not have the hesitation that I expect. Unfortunately, my car didn't have the owner's manual when I bought it, and my digital edition is on my computer at home. Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. I need to be back home at work on Sunday at 0700 CST so if I need to rent a car or catch a flight the sooner the better! Thanks for your help.

darkman
03-29-12, 09:25 PM
There are many conditions that can cause a CEL with no adverse consequences in terms of damage. If you are really concerned find a shop that will attach a scanner and tell you which code or codes you have. Some auto parts stores and small shops will do this. A GM dealer might do this for an out of town customer.

WarrenMRogers
03-29-12, 10:23 PM
Yes i intend to run by AutoZone in the morning, but I was hoping the other associated light may have identified one of those conditions. I would love to have my owners manual with me!

darkman
03-29-12, 10:40 PM
That light is for the Theft Deterrent System.

WarrenMRogers
03-29-12, 10:42 PM
Is it normal for it to activate while I am driving? Do you know if problems with that can trigger the cel?

darkman
03-29-12, 10:50 PM
No it should not be on while driving. From the manual "If the ignition is off and a door is open, the security light will flash, reminding you to arm the theft-deterrent system."

You are supposed to acitivate the system by simply closing all the doors and usig the remote keyless device to lock it. The light should flash for 30 seconds and then go off.

I would start by double checking all the doors, trunk lid etc.

WarrenMRogers
03-29-12, 10:52 PM
Interesting. Perhaps I have a computer problem.

darkman
03-29-12, 10:58 PM
I did find some codes in the P1600 series that relate to the Theft Deterrent System.

The only time I have seen a Theft Deterrent System related message was one time when I removed, cleaned and reinstalled the ground just below the hood stick.

Edit Supplement: If you want to test the system you simply exit the car with one of the windows open and lock the car using the keyless remote. Wait 30 seconds for the security light to go out (which indicates the system is armed), and then unlock a door manually and open it - the alarm (horns and lights) should go on and off.

WarrenMRogers
03-29-12, 11:10 PM
Thanks for your help. I'll have to run by the dealer tomorrow. I will try to pop in and let you know the outcome.

RADEoN
03-29-12, 11:12 PM
go to autozone tomorrow and post up a code, we might be able to help you sooner than later.

WarrenMRogers
03-30-12, 12:04 PM
P0803 1-4 upshift solenoid malfunction. Is this just for the skip shift feature? That has never come up since I have owned the car ( six months, 8k miles). I should be safe getting home to my mechanic? I don't skip shit anyway. Too much fun rowing!

PISNUOFF
03-30-12, 12:43 PM
Sweet, you don't need that anyhow. If you want to get rid of the lights you can try to swap the solenoid with someone who has it shut off with a tune. Or just buy a new one. Lol

darkman
03-30-12, 12:45 PM
DTC P0803 is attached.

As I read it the only immediate consequence is the absence of Cruise Control which the PCM shuts off when this code sets. Otherwise it appear to be a bad connection or faulty skip shift solenoid. I think it is safe to drive home.

WarrenMRogers
03-30-12, 12:47 PM
Score. The code has cleared now so I should be home free! Thanks for all the help.