: Infinity Basslink Setup questions (RCA LOC or Speaker Level)

Natedog
03-28-12, 10:33 PM
Picked one of these up with a free amp kit from Crutchfield for 200 shipped... have been wanting some added thump to the V for years now and figured i could start with this and see if it will suffice... there's a 60 day return policy so no harm in trying it out. I've used Elemental Designs 12" drivers in previous cars but i wanted something simple for the V that would be easy to remove if needed so it will be interesting to see how this compares. For anyone who has installed a Basslink before, or anyone who knows these sound systems pretty well, should i go with an RCA line out converter or try to use the speaker level inputs? Either way, should i tap the Left and Right Rear door speakers or just the subwoofer output (per the schematic on the FAQ linked below). Also, i'm assuming these would need to be tapped AFTER the amp and not before? is this correct? thx

http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/pdf/bose.pdf

sssnake
03-29-12, 03:02 PM
I've not run the bass link before but I would suggest trying the speaker level ins first. These are pretty easy to implement these days and therefore cheap. If you think you have some issue you can always add the LOC later. Definitely tap after the amp as you get the benefit of all of the processing in the amp (xover, EQ, TA, and phase alignment).

Natedog
03-29-12, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the input.. do you know if i only need to tap the Sub (+ -) or should i use both the LR (+ -) and RR (+ -). Also, where's a good grouding point in the trunk??

Twitch
03-29-12, 05:28 PM
The seats really absorb a good amount of sound. Keep that in mind.
My amp has a high level input. So I unplugged the stock sub and ran those wires to the amp.
I connected ground to one of the four studs behind the rear seat. You can get power at the fuse box under the rear seat.

My box was big so I took it out. Connected the aftermarket amp to the stock sub. Now I'm not saying it sounded great, and some people would still think it was crap. But the stock sub sounds MUCH better with a decent amp. I was actually shocked how much bass it can push out.
It does sound bad with the seats folded down though. I'm sure this is why they left so much on the table when powering it at the factory.

Tony

Natedog
03-29-12, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the info Twitch. It's gonna be interesting to see how much sound this thing puts out... it's no surprise the stock sub suffered with the seats down since it couldn't use the trunk as an 'enclosure' essentially... eventually manufacturers will start to actually integrate decent infinite baffle drivers or toss subs in some sort of enclosure to maximize efficiencies.. who knows though.. i'll keep you posted on how the Basslink ends up. What i'm looking for is to still have decent bass when the windows are down crusing in the summer time... right now the stock system leaves a lot to be desired in that arena... it may take throwing in a legit sub in a small enclosure, but i figured i'd start here for cheap and then move up if necessary

bigjohnk
03-30-12, 12:02 PM
you can fold the seats down?

9t8z28
03-30-12, 03:21 PM
I like this idea of using a different amp to power the sub. What AMP did you use?
My amp has a high level input. So I unplugged the stock sub and ran those wires to the amp.
I connected ground to one of the four studs behind the rear seat. You can get power at the fuse box under the rear seat.

My box was big so I took it out. Connected the aftermarket amp to the stock sub. Now I'm not saying it sounded great, and some people would still think it was crap. But the stock sub sounds MUCH better with a decent amp. I was actually shocked how much bass it can push out.
It does sound bad with the seats folded down though. I'm sure this is why they left so much on the table when powering it at the factory.

Tony

9t8z28
03-30-12, 04:39 PM
Yes you can. Pull the leather tab on the side of each of the rear seats.

LAYGO
03-30-12, 06:11 PM

Don't worry, I didn't know it either until I tried bringing this home:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-QwpMlutByP4/T0-v7-_orcI/AAAAAAAABUQ/RP-AxwPl6Eg/s1024/IMG_20120211_180934.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-o54OvCLmJLo/T0-9Ez6iGDI/AAAAAAAABUg/OHjwndBueqg/s1024/IMG_20120211_180900.jpg

Natedog
03-30-12, 06:43 PM

Tony
Twitch, I think I found the studs you're talking about once I pulled the rear seat up. Did you just back out the nut a bit and then put the wire between it and the washer?? Thx

Twitch
03-31-12, 04:14 AM
I like this idea of using a different amp to power the sub. What AMP did you use?
Cheapo Boss amp I had gathering dust in the basement.

Twitch, I think I found the studs you're talking about once I pulled the rear seat up. Did you just back out the nut a bit and then put the wire between it and the washer?? Thx
Yes, the long studs that hold the top of the seat in place. The nut is 10mm.

GDPossehl
04-01-12, 11:16 PM

I'd suggest using a ring terminal over the stud instead of squishing a wire under the washer.

OP, cheers on the Elemental Designs subs! I've had my e8A since 2004 and after a couple years in a closet it finally found a new home in my V. However, if I were to have bought a new speaker for this setup it probably would have been a 10".

The Pioneer amp I got has speaker (high level) inputs and a supposed 400rms output. It works perfectly, and actually turned on before I even grounded it... it's screwed upside down into the rear deck so I guess the chassis of the amp itself acts as a ground. I still ran an 8 awg wire to the seat studs though.

NC_Tech007
04-03-12, 08:45 PM
I would try to source the signals prior to the stock amp, if you can find out where that is. Usually the stock amp also has some x-overs built in that would limit the amount of flexibility you are left with on the basslink on-board x-over/amp.