: Aftermarket spares for the ATS?

docCarter
03-28-12, 01:16 PM
Hi everybody, new guy here,

I was at the Chicago auto show talking to a few Cadillac execs and was told the ATS would not be coming with a spare tire, instead having standard Michelin Primacy MXM4 run-flats. That sounds nice for keeping weight down, but I would still want a spare tire for worst case scenario (Not to mention there is no way in hell I'd buy run-flats after the original tires were out of tread).

Obviously it's too early to see how much it would cost to have one put in. There is barely enough space to fit one under the trunk floor, there is a space for a compressor, tire goop (which I would throw out) and some empty space. I'm just wondering if anyone here besides me would purchase an aftermarket spare for the car.

So, would you?

rand49er
03-28-12, 08:29 PM
If there's a spot for a donut, that's the way I'd go ... maybe. I'm not carrying a spare now, only two cans of spare tire, so not sure what I'd do in an ATS-V.

Loveldos
03-29-12, 08:20 PM
If there is a place to store it unobtrusively, I'd buy a mini-spare (or hopefully, the one I've got in my '08 CTS-4 would be able to be transferred), since I view it like "insurance" of sorts. I prefer to save gas other ways than by eliminating the spare tire.

NHRATA01
03-30-12, 12:38 PM
Was it all ATS's or just certain models/optioned versions? If you get the one with the supposedly larger brembo front brakes, it may simply be a packaging issue of having room for a spare large enough to clear the brake calipers.

Is it known if the trunk will even have a well for the spare? From the underside pictures it is hard to tell. Possibly they elected not to even have room for one as it is going to be a rather small car and they may have tried to maximize the trunk space.

The skeptic in me figures it's a way for GM to convince you to maintain your Onstar membership ;)

buttfish77
03-30-12, 03:34 PM
Hi everybody, new guy here,

I was at the Chicago auto show talking to a few Cadillac execs and was told the ATS would not be coming with a spare tire, instead having standard Michelin Primacy MXM4 run-flats. That sounds nice for keeping weight down, but I would still want a spare tire for worst case scenario (Not to mention there is no way in hell I'd buy run-flats after the original tires were out of tread).

Obviously it's too early to see how much it would cost to have one put in. There is barely enough space to fit one under the trunk floor, there is a space for a compressor, tire goop (which I would throw out) and some empty space. I'm just wondering if anyone here besides me would purchase an aftermarket spare for the car.

So, would you?

Welcome mrDenali.

EChas3
03-30-12, 09:47 PM
Run-flats are a ripoff. They cost 2-3 times high-quality conventional tires and you can't mount regular tires on run-flat rims. They also require special tools and know-how.

thebigjimsho
03-31-12, 05:46 PM
Run-flats are a ripoff. They cost 2-3 times high-quality conventional tires and you can't mount regular tires on run-flat rims. They also require special tools and know-how.

What? There are no special "run-flat rims"...

JimmyH
03-31-12, 06:04 PM
I replaced the run-flats on my V with regular tires. No problem.

Run-flats are a joke though. I didn't realize that is what they are going with. I will NOT buy another car with run-flats. Hopefully they will be an option, not standard.

As for the lack of a spare, get used to it. If you get a base ATS without Brembos and without limited slip, that is the only way you will be able to use a compact spare. They won't clear the Brembos up front, and it is ill-advised to use a smaller diameter tire on a limited slip rear axle. Drive more than a few miles and you will start burning up the clutches.

I have gotten used to life without a spare. As long as I don't have a blowout (which has yet to ever happen to me in 20 years of driving) the inflator will get me home. And on road trips, I throw one of the tires from my other set in the trunk.

Pie R Squared
05-23-12, 11:55 AM
I have been running run-flats on my 2001 Corvette and never had a problem. The spare just adds weight and cost but if you do replace with the non run-flats then I would carry an inflator kit.

ddawson
05-23-12, 02:20 PM
To the people that dislike run -flat tires, I'm sure that since the first edition they have improved. In fact, I believe the era of the spare tire, has all but ended.

jcopelan
05-24-12, 09:40 PM
I have enough peace-of-mind with conventional rubber, a can of fix-a-flat, and AAA. A spare is great, and I'm not sure why the manufacturer's have gotten away from running a spare, but run-flat tires are too much of a compromise in the categories of performance, comfort, and value.

cdp
05-26-12, 12:29 PM
The ATS already has the smallest back seat and the smallest trunk in its class, so I'm guessing it's as much about saving space as weight. In my last two cars I replaced the run flats as quickly as ai could and run without a spare, just fix a flat goop. So far, so good, but I appreciate I'm rolling the dice with blow out risk.

neuronbob
06-17-12, 09:23 PM
I blow out a tire about once a year on average. No spare or option for aftermarket spare=no sale. A spare turns a 2-hour wait for AAA in the middle of nowhere to a ten minutes' episode of inconvenience.

blkcaddy
06-17-12, 11:23 PM
I blow out a tire about once a year on average. No spare or option for aftermarket spare=no sale. A spare turns a 2-hour wait for AAA in the middle of nowhere to a ten minutes' episode of inconvenience.

You should check your tire pressure more often. It's the main cause of blowouts! I check my tires every three months and even within that amount of time you will lose some tire pressure. Better to be safe than to be sorry! Especially if you will be having your family in the car! You can buy one of those small round tire pressure gauges from WALMART or auto parts store.

thebigjimsho
06-18-12, 08:39 PM
Yep, nails have nothing to do with it...

Jesda
06-26-12, 12:48 PM
Nails have a lot to do with it. Depending on the severity, you can carry a can of green slime to limp to a shop.

concorso
06-26-12, 05:43 PM
Nails are no match for routine maintenance, TBJS. Jeez...

I go through a tire a year as well, generally in the late spring early summer. Sometimes you just cant ignore construction areas.

neuronbob
06-26-12, 07:57 PM
You should check your tire pressure more often. It's the main cause of blowouts! I check my tires every three months and even within that amount of time you will lose some tire pressure. Better to be safe than to be sorry! Especially if you will be having your family in the car! You can buy one of those small round tire pressure gauges from WALMART or auto parts store.

I check my tires every fuel stop (once a week). I lose tires because of poor road maintenance in C-town. You must live someplace where the roads are perfect.