: Controling tires from spinning

2012 CTS-V
03-28-12, 12:26 AM
Hey guys so its kinda cold out tonight, in the high 30s. A 4 door m3 was instigating hard so I decided to have a little fun. We went from a 2nd gear roll at 40 mph. I spun so had to shift right away, early. I shifted around 5k. M3 was always behind me and I kept walking him till we slowed down but I was just wondering how I could control wheel spin. Should I avoid mashing the gas pedal and just accelerate gradually or should I have started off in 3rd?

GMX322V S/C
03-28-12, 03:11 AM
Our PS2s turn into teflon doughnuts below ~37 deg F, so until you learn to feather the throttle so that you are just breaking traction (which is the point where forward thrust is at a maximum for the prevailing conditions), just leave traction control on. Mindlessly flooring a 556+ HP vehicle under less than ideal street conditions or while on a road racing course is generally not a good idea (if you just want to do that, throw on a set of drag radials or slicks and head to the drag strip).

thebigjimsho
03-28-12, 06:39 AM
Did you have the TC off? The TC allows you more than enough wheelspin to accelerate hard in any gear...

2012 CTS-V
03-28-12, 09:21 AM
Ya I have to learn how to feather the throttle, but its so damn hard cause I just wanna go and give these cars no chance. I actually had my traction control on which is a good thing I guess. If I didn't I probably would've spun more. My car was still moving forward while spinning so it wasn't too bad. Thanks guys.

Wannago
03-28-12, 09:30 AM
To build on these comments, from a roll at 40 mph with TC on you should be just fine, but from a stop / slower speeds I find when the TC engages, the car can really fall on its face and it seems to take "forever" to get full power back. You could try keeping your thumb on the button and if the TC engages to this level, just give the button a quick push to turn it off (although this could result in even more wheel spin).

smackdownCTSV
03-28-12, 09:53 AM
Was it in Sport Mode? Did you manually shift? That + under 40* temps sounds about right.

2012 CTS-V
03-28-12, 09:57 AM
Ya if I was going from a stop I would have turned traction control off and just gave it half gas till wheel spin stopped and then mash it to the floor. I had it in sport and manual mode. I was in second gear at 40 mph which probably had me around 4,000 rpm. Ya I'm always scared that with traction control on, the power will cut out but that didn't happen last night.

Dr. Design
03-28-12, 03:03 PM
Throttle control is key. The problem becomes more prevalent when you start modding. These cars from a roll can be quite tricky if you are a pedal masher.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Ya I have to learn how to feather the throttle, but its so damn hard cause I just wanna go and give these cars no chance. I actually had my traction control on which is a good thing I guess. If I didn't I probably would've spun more. My car was still moving forward while spinning so it wasn't too bad. Thanks guys.

Trapspeed
03-28-12, 04:38 PM
And as someone else here so eloquently put not too long ago, "You don't know how much the nannies are saving your a$$". I would not go into fully disabling the controls unless you are damn sure pointed in the right direction!

hlantin
03-28-12, 05:34 PM
Ya if I was going from a stop I would have turned traction control off and just gave it half gas till wheel spin stopped and then mash it to the floor. I had it in sport and manual mode. I was in second gear at 40 mph which probably had me around 4,000 rpm. Ya I'm always scared that with traction control on, the power will cut out but that didn't happen last night.

Leave the TC on and ease into throttle and you'll be fine. Your car can quickly go sideways w/o the TC..

smackdownCTSV
03-28-12, 05:55 PM
Yes, the T/C off makes U-turns very easy, almost 360's.

GMX322V S/C
03-28-12, 07:41 PM
Or work with the TC; in other words, don't make it work so hard. If you mash, and it has to intervene, it may have to intervene drastically with fall-on-your-face results. If you're just slightly overcooking it, you may not even notice it intervening, save for the indicator flickering...

To build on these comments, from a roll at 40 mph with TC on you should be just fine, but from a stop / slower speeds I find when the TC engages, the car can really fall on its face and it seems to take "forever" to get full power back. You could try keeping your thumb on the button and if the TC engages to this level, just give the button a quick push to turn it off (although this could result in even more wheel spin).