: Seafoam.. Good idea or bad?

06BlackV
03-27-12, 05:37 AM
Hey there fellas, i have been reading on the internet about the seafoam product, i would like to know if its a good idea for my ls2 as im always so skeptical with putting cleaning products in my engine. If so, should i apply it in gas tank, in my oil, vacuum hose , or all three together? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

06BlackV
03-27-12, 06:16 AM
Miles on my V are 69,000**

odthetruth
03-27-12, 06:24 AM
I did it in 2 of 3. I didn't apply in oil.
First warmed car up to op temp, with oil at ~150+. Then proceeded on steps. Put a third in gas tank, put a 3rd in brake booster while engine was running with someone trying to keep the RPMs at 1100 in neutral. Eventually it stalled, but then poured the rest of the 3rd in the vacuum line. I capped up the seafoam and left a 3rd in there.

Let it sit, etc etc, turned it on (had a bit of a rough time), let it idle for a bit. Ended up getting a CEL for Misfire on startup (guess thats how dirty it was)
Cleared CEL with handheld I got... never came back (this was about 6 months ago). Opened it up after letting it sit for about 10-15 minutes... Hard on gas till all the smoke went away.

Seemed to help throttle response. Its not a giant performance gain or anything like that. Its more to clean carbon buildup.

Most every problem I've seen with someone running seafoam has been not following proper procedures... and it always seems to be on an import engine as well. Maybe a bit more sensitive on internal parts with smaller displacement or w/e... but people have poured it in the TB with the car off, cold, and basically hydrolocked the car. People using 2 cans, pouring an entire can into the intake... that kinda stuff.

Don't be generous with it. 1/3rd is enough.

If you are really nervous about it, but want to use it more safely, Use a 1/3rd in the gas tank at every other fill up. It takes much longer, but it'll work that way as well.

06BlackV
03-27-12, 08:05 AM
I did it in 2 of 3. I didn't apply in oil.
First warmed car up to op temp, with oil at ~150+. Then proceeded on steps. Put a third in gas tank, put a 3rd in brake booster while engine was running with someone trying to keep the RPMs at 1100 in neutral. Eventually it stalled, but then poured the rest of the 3rd in the vacuum line. I capped up the seafoam and left a 3rd in there.

Let it sit, etc etc, turned it on (had a bit of a rough time), let it idle for a bit. Ended up getting a CEL for Misfire on startup (guess thats how dirty it was)
Cleared CEL with handheld I got... never came back (this was about 6 months ago). Opened it up after letting it sit for about 10-15 minutes... Hard on gas till all the smoke went away.

Seemed to help throttle response. Its not a giant performance gain or anything like that. Its more to clean carbon buildup.

Most every problem I've seen with someone running seafoam has been not following proper procedures... and it always seems to be on an import engine as well. Maybe a bit more sensitive on internal parts with smaller displacement or w/e... but people have poured it in the TB with the car off, cold, and basically hydrolocked the car. People using 2 cans, pouring an entire can into the intake... that kinda stuff.

Don't be generous with it. 1/3rd is enough.

If you are really nervous about it, but want to use it more safely, Use a 1/3rd in the gas tank at every other fill up. It takes much longer, but it'll work that way as well.

Thank you very much for the detailed info it helped make my mind up , i will just do the 1/3rd every other gas fill up till the can is gone. I also understand there wont be a giant performance gain unless u were losing performance from the carbon deposits , clogged injectors etc. essentially it depends on how dirty the internals are, correct?

lollygagger8
03-27-12, 08:22 AM
I used to run it through my brake booster on my Jeep all the time. Makes a helluva smoke screen, but it seemed to run better afterwards.

That said, I've never had the balls to try it on my V. I'm always afraid it might mess up a sensor here or there.

06BlackV
03-27-12, 08:28 AM
You guys have any knowledge about the Gm product that is supposed to be as effective or even more than the seafoam?. I cant quite think of the name but i heard they had a product out for gm engines.

lilgCTS-V
03-27-12, 12:03 PM
just my .02 i seafoam my V every 2 oil changes and she seems to idle and run extremely smooth.

Natedog
03-27-12, 12:22 PM
You guys have any knowledge about the Gm product that is supposed to be as effective or even more than the seafoam?. I cant quite think of the name but i heard they had a product out for gm engines.
You're talking about the GM Top Engine Cleaner which is hard to come by apparently.... Personally, i picked up the Seafoam Spray to do a top engine clean as trukk outlines in this recent thread:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/253852-top-engine-clean.html
and i got a few 20oz bottles of Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner at Advance Auto to run through the gas tank.... as previously mentioned, follow directions! I haven't done either of these yet since i only drive a few times a week, but i will next time i make a road trip so i'll let you know how it goes

thefulmonty_07
03-27-12, 01:01 PM
88861802 is GM's replacement for the Top Engine Cleaner
Had some guys talking about it in another thread...hope it helps.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forum/t-253852.html

odthetruth
03-27-12, 02:58 PM
Oh, I seafoamed about 118k. I'm at 125k basically.

Pho_phizzat
03-27-12, 05:25 PM
I used to run it through my brake booster on my Jeep all the time. Makes a helluva smoke screen, but it seemed to run better afterwards.

That said, I've never had the balls to try it on my V. I'm always afraid it might mess up a sensor here or there.

Hey could you please email me at pho_phizzat@hotmail.com I have a few questions for you about your aux input wiring and I do not have enough posts to PM yet.

Thanks!

Oh and Seafoam FTW

GDPossehl
03-27-12, 11:11 PM
With all of the alcohol in the fuel these days this stuff isn't as effective as it used to be. I've also had it foul up a full set of spark plugs... so beware.