: Remote clutch bleeders

odthetruth
03-27-12, 12:12 AM
Wondering what type everyone is using.

LAPD only ones available?

DrSpeed
03-27-12, 12:24 AM
Tick has one too.

I bought mine from LAPD. Talk to Dave - really intelligent guy.

If you are using the remote bleeder with a stock clutch, then use the angle fitting.

If you are going to use an LS7 bleeder, use the bleeder with the straight fitting.

CadzillaTN
03-27-12, 12:56 AM
Yes, get the angled, just like the stock bleeder. :rolleyes:

JFensty
03-27-12, 10:20 PM
I used a tick bleeder

Junior1
03-29-12, 01:46 PM
Thread started just in time...Anyone have a link to said products ???

lollygagger8
03-29-12, 04:04 PM
http://www.thelapd.com/profile.asp?ID=352&Name=LAPD+C6+Clutch+Bleeder+Kit&CategoryID=161

When I installed my Monster Stage 3, I bought the LAPD (which was bent) so I had to bend it straight to fit.

wcryan
03-29-12, 07:59 PM
one of the guys on ls1tech just installed his LS7 setup. he ended up needing the stright LAPD bleeder

CadzillaTN
03-29-12, 09:13 PM
As I sarcastically said above, theres a reason the stock bleeder is a straight stick coming out of the stock slave.

If you've ever pulled your trans and replaced your clutch etc, you know that a straight end bleeder is what you want.

Some have made the bent ends work, but doing that can jeopardize the seal. I got the Tick version with the bent end, and it would not clear the hole in the trans without *significant* pressure on the threads at the slave, and the fitting bend as it exited the trans. So I bent mine straight and installed it. It leaked.

I removed and had a local shop snip off the end and install a straight end. I reinstalled, and no issues since. By reinstall I mean pulled the trans etc, again. If you are paying someone else to do the install, you may want to consider this.

Now, I don't have any experience trying to use a bent end bleeder with an ls7 slave. The bleeder opening on the slave points in a different direction than the stock bleeder when bolted to the trans, so it might work..I don't know..I have one in hand, and the inlet pipe and bleeder have switched spots vs stock. Not only that, the bleeder points a bit more upward, so it does seem that with this slave, the bent end would assist in getting the line back down toward the notch in the trans. In fact, it almost seems like you'd actually need the bent end with an ls7 slave.

CadzillaTN
03-29-12, 09:16 PM
one of the guys on ls1tech just installed his LS7 setup. he ended up needing the stright LAPD bleeder

That is odd, unless he reused the stock slave

DrSpeed
03-30-12, 11:24 AM

That is odd, unless he reused the stock slave

That's me.

If you are going to upgrade to an LS7 Clutch, use a straight end fitting for the bleeder.

CadzillaTN
03-30-12, 06:13 PM
That's me.

If you are going to upgrade to an LS7 Clutch, use a straight end fitting for the bleeder.

Did you upgrade to ls7 clutch or slave? or both?

If both, do you have any pics that show the slave mounted to trans before install?

JDB
03-31-12, 01:05 PM
That's me.

What all parts were/are needed (wanted) to do an LS7 clutch? And remote bleeder? And light weight flywheel?

I need to do some research ASAP. Looks like I have clutch fluid coming out the vent at the bottom of the trans...again.

Dealer replaced the slave (said it was leaking) and the throwout bearing under CPO that ia now over, but I called Cadillac today and they're going to work with my dealer to do it again since its only been 10k miles. ...next question, after they hopefully agree to fix on their dime, will be to use this opportunity to put in a beefier clutch and lwfw, so.... Suggestions? No power adders, yet...DDer but don't mind road course track friendly options.

Schneig07CTS
03-31-12, 03:38 PM
Timing is a wonderful thing. Need to replace throw out bearing and looks like I will be calling Luke at Lindsey Monday to get an LS7 clutch, slave, and 21 lb flywheel. Might as well get it done at once. Looks like I need the straight bleeder fitting, would appreciate a link to the right fitting as most parts are not CTS-V specific. PS- I love the heat so I will just toss it out there, I am "that guy" - currently getting the Bourdaunt special up to par. Love the less than 8 grand miles. But definitely beat. So far - bearing, caliper, bad cat as well. Caddy will not cover under the Federal mandate either. Cheers

wcryan
03-31-12, 03:46 PM
http://www.thelapd.com/profile.asp?ID=352&Name=LAPD+C6+Clutch+Bleeder+Kit&CategoryID=161

Call them on the phone and tell them you need the straight fitting. Ask him about the 70$ shipped deal that people are getting

D3l7a3ch0
04-04-12, 10:09 AM
As I sarcastically said above, theres a reason the stock bleeder is a straight stick coming out of the stock slave.

this is one of those times I really wish people would avoid sarcasm. I'm calling monster clutch today, to see if they can overnight their bolts and a remote bleeder (after confirming the one I need)...

I hope they were spared from the tornado(s)

verywhitedevil
04-04-12, 10:13 AM
I have a remote bleeder with straight end that fits our slave. 40 shipped if anyone wants it.

CadzillaTN
04-04-12, 12:53 PM
this is one of those times I really wish people would avoid sarcasm. I'm calling monster clutch today, to see if they can overnight their bolts and a remote bleeder (after confirming the one I need)...

I hope they were spared from the tornado(s)

Boo hoo. People with no idea what they're taking about shouldn't post advice.

If you are reusing the stock slave and a stock clutch (disclaimer on my own advice), you need a straight fitting, period.

Then again, I just had another thought- the spacer some use on the stock slave when going aftermarket might bring the slave far enough away from the trans to allow the line to exit without any stress even with an angled fitting, if angled correctly.

If you're using an ls7 slave, see my post above. I can't comment with certainty because I've not yet been down that road. The input/output spots are switched and point in different directions.

odthetruth
04-05-12, 01:37 AM
I have a remote bleeder with straight end that fits our slave. 40 shipped if anyone wants it.

Where were you like 4 days ago? LOL I've already picked up a remote bleeder. I'm planning to be in the shop by Saturday.

wcryan
04-05-12, 04:18 AM
installed my LS7 clutch LS7 slave and bleeder today. It is about an inch off the floor. I'm hoping it comes back up with break-in time. Ive put about 80 miles on it so far; but I have work for 5 days so I wont be able to put more miles on it for a while

Schneig07CTS
04-05-12, 11:13 AM
Interested - Ordering the LS7 Clutch kit today. Not enough posts to PM. drop me a line - schneigis (at) gmail.com -Thanks in advance - B

D3l7a3ch0
04-05-12, 02:13 PM
update: Monster Clutch was spared from the tornadoes and everyone is A-OK. they overnighted my parts no problem.

CadzillaTN
04-05-12, 02:24 PM
What a relief

D3l7a3ch0
04-05-12, 06:30 PM
did you use thread tape on yours?

also, this is what I ordered, at the advice of Steve @ Monster Clutch. http://i.imgur.com/PUD3l.jpg

he said the speed bleeder has a check ball that fails, so I went with the 18" basic.

the clutch is supposed to go in tomorrow. wish me luck

odthetruth
04-06-12, 06:46 AM
did you use thread tape on yours?

also, this is what I ordered, at the advice of Steve @ Monster Clutch. http://i.imgur.com/PUD3l.jpg

he said the speed bleeder has a check ball that fails, so I went with the 18" basic.

the clutch is supposed to go in tomorrow. wish me luck

Good question. Anyone want to chime in? Seems a bit loose without it.

CadzillaTN
04-06-12, 11:00 AM
Why would you need the thread tape? If it is tightened properly you shouldn't need it. But DONT over tighten it..snug snug, but not torqued like a mofo. I learned that lesson the hard way.

I also assume by check ball they mean speed bleeder, but that would have nothing to do with the length of the line.. You can simply put a traditional bleeder on the end instead, but I wouldn't be too concerned with that.

Yes, some say those speed bleeders lose their integrity over time but the jury is still out, usually people don't tighten the bleeder itself enough..they seal the line the same way a regular bleeder does, but allow you to crack it and pump the pedal without having to close it between pumps due to the spring loaded ball in the end.

Since the bleed line comes out and up ~2 feet to the engine bay I wasnt too concerned with air defying gravity and getting back down to the slave so I left mine on.

D3l7a3ch0
04-06-12, 09:48 PM
I ended up thread taping it. http://i.imgur.com/H7I2o.jpg

it gave the fittings a better snug feel, if you know what I mean. without the tape, it feels tight or loose, with no in-between.

Schneig07CTS
04-06-12, 10:42 PM
I must say. That picture answers every question about what fitting is needed for the remote. Thanks for sharing.

verywhitedevil
04-06-12, 11:05 PM
Interested - Ordering the LS7 Clutch kit today. Not enough posts to PM. drop me a line - schneigis (at) gmail.com -Thanks in advance - B

sent you a PM.

I used thread tape too.

looks like you had plenty of room to work. I did mine with jackstands by myself.

WCRYAN - i think you still have a little air in the line.

D3l7a3ch0
04-06-12, 11:11 PM
i'm glad it helped! I will bring my proper camera tomorrow and get a better picture--this one looked great on my phone when I took it. uploaded, notsomuch

here is an album~ http://imgur.com/a/lvKMb I replaced the rear main, figured it was a good opportunity

PS: I found out today that Steve is in fact the owner of Monster Clutch. I'm beginning to enjoy calling their shop, and I think Steve knows who I am by voice, now. or maybe they have caller ID. dunno.

http://i.imgur.com/yJ2flh.jpg <--the better trans pic. :-) and an album to show my routing. I took bits of vacuum hose and split it down the spine to protect the clutch fluid inlet line from the trans body, and the bleeder line against the trans. http://imgur.com/a/Kvfpl

odthetruth
04-10-12, 05:28 PM
Update: I've installed my remote bleeder line on my clutch... Its a stock LS2 clutch with stock LS2 flywheel (GASP!!!!). I know, I know... its pulling a turd to plant a turd, but I paid $75 for this turd and I don't have the luxury of allowing things to sit around forever. Plus, I was already doing my headers... seemed like a good time to change out a clutch that had 100k+ miles on it. I bled the jesus out the clutch till it was perfect. (Side Note: LOL Wrapped headers smoked up like a chimney in the shop when we fired it up. Headers are good money now and wow... Headers+Cutouts=Win)

I have a spare remote speed bleeder I picked up from Monster. Its a straight fitting and would work perfect. Anyone interested in it? $35 takes it. (In the US)

JDB
04-10-12, 08:31 PM
Update: I've installed my remote bleeder line on my clutch... Its a stock LS2 clutch with stock LS2 flywheel (GASP!!!!). I know, I know... its pulling a turd to plant a turd, but I paid $75 for this turd and I don't have the luxury of allowing things to sit around forever. Plus, I was already doing my headers... seemed like a good time to change out a clutch that had 100k+ miles on it. I bled the jesus out the clutch till it was perfect. (Side Note: LOL Wrapped headers smoked up like a chimney in the shop when we fired it up. Headers are good money now and wow... Headers+Cutouts=Win)

I have a spare remote speed bleeder I picked up from Monster. Its a straight fitting and would work perfect. Anyone interested in it? $35 takes it. (In the US)

I'll take it. My clutch slave is leaking and I need to replace it soon...and would like to put in a remote bleeder.

CadzillaTN
04-10-12, 10:14 PM

Don't feel bad, I swapped a turd for a turd as well. Have about 350 miles on it now. Same situation, I bought one fairly cheap in 2008 as a spare. Did you replace the slave?

How did you end up with 2 bleeders.

odthetruth
04-10-12, 10:30 PM
Don't feel bad, I swapped a turd for a turd as well. Have about 350 miles on it now. Same situation, I bought one fairly cheap in 2008 as a spare. Did you replace the slave?

How did you end up with 2 bleeders.

Long story, but yeah. I did replace the slave. I had the slave, pressure plate, flywheel, and pilot bearing. I'm having an issue with the reverse gear today. Specifically the ability to access it from neutral. I've been getting to it by going from 4th to Reverse. I read up it might have to do with the pressure plate needing readjustment. I'd have no clue on HOW to adjust the pressure plate. I've also basically ordered another reverse solenoid, since mine was crapping for a while now, and I'm planning on re-dropping trans to see what this reverse gear issue could be.

D3l7a3ch0
04-11-12, 01:19 AM
Why would you need the thread tape? If it is tightened properly you shouldn't need it. But DONT over tighten it..snug snug, but not torqued like a mofo. I learned that lesson the hard way.

I also assume by check ball they mean speed bleeder, but that would have nothing to do with the length of the line.. You can simply put a traditional bleeder on the end instead, but I wouldn't be too concerned with that.

Yes, some say those speed bleeders lose their integrity over time but the jury is still out, usually people don't tighten the bleeder itself enough..they seal the line the same way a regular bleeder does, but allow you to crack it and pump the pedal without having to close it between pumps due to the spring loaded ball in the end.

Since the bleed line comes out and up ~2 feet to the engine bay I wasnt too concerned with air defying gravity and getting back down to the slave so I left mine on.

I think it's worth noting that Steve did not try to upsell me on the more expensive speed bleeder. Although... it's possible they were just out of stock on the speed bleeders *hah*

the remote bleeder I have is long enough that it sticks out to the side of the car and I could do it without help--it would involve getting out to refill the reservoir, but that's as complicated as it would get.

you're right about sticking the regular end onto the line--the fitting that came with the new slave would work (which I also saved) ...but u might as well get the regular one if that's the plan...

JDB
04-12-12, 12:11 AM
Long story, but yeah. I did replace the slave. I had the slave, pressure plate, flywheel, and pilot bearing. I'm having an issue with the reverse gear today. Specifically the ability to access it from neutral. I've been getting to it by going from 4th to Reverse. I read up it might have to do with the pressure plate needing readjustment. I'd have no clue on HOW to adjust the pressure plate. I've also basically ordered another reverse solenoid, since mine was crapping for a while now, and I'm planning on re-dropping trans to see what this reverse gear issue could be.

Any chance of taking pics along the way of replacement to get a write up of how to pull the trans for a clutch job?

odthetruth
04-12-12, 11:59 PM
Any chance of taking pics along the way of replacement to get a write up of how to pull the trans for a clutch job?

I'll see what I can do. I know that I used someone elses guide on their clutch install and that basically explained it all down.

CTSV_510
04-13-12, 12:10 AM

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/181141-monster-clutch-install.html

odthetruth
04-13-12, 03:18 AM
I'll see what I can do. I know that I used someone elses guide on their clutch install and that basically explained it all down.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/181141-monster-clutch-install.html

Yup, that was the one.

JDB
04-13-12, 03:49 PM
Thank you! That's what I was looking for... stupid search couldn't find it. Maybe user error...

D3l7a3ch0
04-14-12, 08:11 PM
btw, I replaced my rear main seal while I was back there. it's a great opportunity.