: Frt and back cadillac emblem losing red

torr714
03-26-12, 04:46 PM
I bought my truck used and the red in the emblems are fading almost gone. I bought new emblems and less then 3 months later new ones are starting to do the same . They are factory is this normal ?

Study Hard
03-26-12, 05:46 PM
Mine are from 02, can't say if they are the originals or not as I bought the car used as well. They are terribly faded though, mostly in the red area as you described. I was thinking about ordering some new factory ones, but it doesn't sound like that is the fix either.

K9Caddy
03-26-12, 06:03 PM
Stop parking in the sun:)

torr714
03-26-12, 08:48 PM
I hope the new one don't have this problem. I love my escalade and was looking to by a new esv

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-27-12, 10:20 AM
I'm sorry to hear about the fading emblems, torr714. If you haven't already done so, I would recommend checking with your Cadillac dealership if you are concerned by the fading speed. If you don't have a dealer you frequently use, I'd be happy to assist. Send me a private message or email (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com) anytime!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

hannity
03-27-12, 11:27 AM
I bought my truck used and the red in the emblems are fading almost gone. I bought new emblems and less then 3 months later new ones are starting to do the same . They are factory is this normal ?

unfortunately it is, mine lived in my garage and still started to fade a bit. Along with the black gloss pillars along the doors. Very cheap quality.

PeteKT
03-27-12, 01:17 PM
Yup mine did the same on my 2008 EXT, took it to the dealership and they replaced them for free :)

brianvez512
03-27-12, 03:15 PM
This is happening to mine also. My question is has anyone successfully taken off the clear plastic part and just removed the colored paint? I think the emblems would look good without color. I have not been able to find any emblems online like this besides the bedazzeled ones.

K9Caddy
03-27-12, 04:03 PM
http://8thdaycreations.com/products-page/automotive/cadillac-emblem-overlay/

brianvez512
03-27-12, 04:49 PM
http://8thdaycreations.com/products-page/automotive/cadillac-emblem-overlay/

Nice. Just ordered one. Hopefully this will work, always worry about these types of things catching dirt or peeling but the price was right to give it a try.

emseedee
03-28-12, 12:37 PM
Usually factory parts bought from a dealer have a warranty, probably a year. Probably just need to call them to find out what it is and go back before it expires.

torr714
03-28-12, 02:13 PM
Going to call dealer now of course , I bought them from a Chevy dealer their price is better then caddy

ESCALADE132
03-28-12, 02:36 PM
Just had both front and rear emblems under warranty last week

Royalton
07-16-12, 04:39 AM
I read here that one person above had this replaced by GM under warranty. were you still in the 4/48 bumper to bumper warranty or would this be covered under the rust/corrosion warranty that is longer than the bumper to bumper. This is obviously a defect in workmanship for everyone's emblems to fade in such a short period of time and something I feel should not be an issues on such a high end and expensive vehicle. I just bought my first escalade and it is out of warranty But I would hate to think that something like this isn't still covered as it not exactly the best form of advertising driving around with emblems that are 3 years old and look like it was painted in the 80's by childrens waterpaint kit.

Can Cadillac support chime in again here and state if this is something that would be covered or not in their 6 year 100k mile rust/corrosion warranty?

PWGUNNY
07-16-12, 09:08 AM
Mine are fading also on my '08 Escalade.

Hymak
07-16-12, 06:46 PM
I have an 08... and have the same issue. The red has changed to a cloudy pink (my wife thinks its cute... I hate it)

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-17-12, 11:11 AM
I read here that one person above had this replaced by GM under warranty. were you still in the 4/48 bumper to bumper warranty or would this be covered under the rust/corrosion warranty that is longer than the bumper to bumper. This is obviously a defect in workmanship for everyone's emblems to fade in such a short period of time and something I feel should not be an issues on such a high end and expensive vehicle. I just bought my first escalade and it is out of warranty But I would hate to think that something like this isn't still covered as it not exactly the best form of advertising driving around with emblems that are 3 years old and look like it was painted in the 80's by childrens waterpaint kit.

Can Cadillac support chime in again here and state if this is something that would be covered or not in their 6 year 100k mile rust/corrosion warranty?

Good morning,

We appreciate your question about whether or not this would be covered by the corrosion warranty. The following describes how that warranty works and was taken from page 6 of the 2009 Cadillac Warranty Manual.

"Sheet metal panels are covered against corrosion and rust-through as follows:

Corrosion: Body sheet metal panels are covered against rust for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Rust-Through: Any body sheet metal panel that rusts through, an actual hole in the sheet metal, is covered for up to 6 years, unlimited mileage.

Important: Cosmetic or surface corrosion, resulting from stone chips or scratches in the paint, for example, is not included in sheet metal coverage."

However, it wouldn't hurt to have your dealership evaluate this for you. If you would like for us to look into anything further for you, please don't hesitate to get in touch here on the forum with your request (also, if you would, please include the last 8 of your VIN).

Best,
Sarah (Assisting Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service

felixgun
07-17-12, 09:34 PM
Mine were badly faded as well. Chris @ Rippy Parts hooked me up with a discounted price for both front and rear. Looks much better with new emblems :)

Royalton
07-17-12, 10:45 PM
Mine were badly faded as well. Chris @ Rippy Parts hooked me up with a discounted price for both front and rear. Looks much better with new emblems :)

Stopped into my dealer like suggested here and of course, no help, they said it's not covered under warranty, and I'm out of luck. It's pretty apparent Cadillac doesn't think it's a manufacturing defect (I guess it's due to miss use on my part, since I shouldn't have been driving when the sun is out) But I need new emblems, how did you remove and install the new emblems? or did your dealer or bodyshop do it? About what was the cost of them from Rippy?

quattrotman
07-18-12, 01:02 AM
I guess Cadillac doesn't think it's necessary to keep their branding looking good. Not surprising. You'd think that would be the one thing they would keep looking new. I actually can't recall ever owning a car that had it's emblems tarnish/fade/flake and I've had some much older cars.
I ended up painting the inside of the emblems body color when I had some body work done....turned out really well. BTW, the rear one does actually match perfectly (doesn't look like it in the pic), it's just the way the light hit it for the pic.

Rustico
07-18-12, 01:46 PM

I used a red sharpie to fill in the red. I also use tire dressing to dress up the faded and peeling window sill

Royalton
07-18-12, 07:45 PM

I used a red sharpie to fill in the red. I also use tire dressing to dress up the faded and peeling window sill

Really good idea! I just did this! lol you have to be careful to follow the lines and not go all the way to the edges since you are coloring the clear coat and not the actual badge. It looks great though! and i'm happy with the way it looks now ;) Only I would be able to tell. sorry didnt take a before and after pic but I went out there thinking it wasnt going to work and than just did it.

Well have to see if it lasts, but it'll probably last longer than an oem new badge if gm hasn't stepped up with their paint. Just a suggestion... maybe GM should buy lots of red sharpie markers and use those, as they appear to be better quality than what they are using now ;)

Rustico
07-18-12, 08:30 PM
I bet the sharpie will wear off after a few washes.

CamCo94
07-19-12, 06:35 PM
i'd try a dealer if your warranty isnt up, the red on mine are also fading, i'm going to be stopping by my dealer in the next couple days. i remember last year they replaced all four chrome 22's because the chrome was chipping off totally under warranty

ddivinia
07-19-12, 11:27 PM
Our 2008 did the same thing. CPO warranty covered new emblems. Definitely defective - garaged majority of the time and they still faded.

D.

Royalton
11-21-12, 11:36 AM
Well after a few months of redoing the emblem's with red sharpie I have finally given up and purchased front and rear emblems from Rippy.

Has anyone installed these themselves??? I was told a heat gun or blow dryer and fishing line used like floss works. They both have 4 metal studs that must fit inside of drilled holes in the body. Do I need get behind the grill or behind the back lift gate in order to do this install? And lastly it came on a clear plastic, I assume it is basically a sticker? Do I have to add any kind of adhesive or cement to it? or to the studs the fit inside the holes?

Any help or comments from anyone who did this before would be awesome thanks!

PeteKT
11-21-12, 02:17 PM
If your truck is still under warranty then it IS covered by the dealership, if they wont change it under warranty tell them your finding a new caddi dealer because they SUCK, my caddi dealer bends over backwards for me and i bought the turck used from someone else.

Royalton
11-21-12, 06:23 PM
Out of warranty but I have an aftermarket warranty, had to fight with Braman Cadillac of Miami just to fix my lumbar last week as they don't accept anyone elses warranty but their own. Had to get Cadillac Customer Service involved. So no, in Miami no one does anything for free, or correctly. It sucks that I am basically spending money for their own advertising because they used such crap parts that clearly corrode within 2 years of normal usage.. but it is what it is....now how do I change these things?

PeteKT
11-23-12, 12:39 PM
Wow, thats why i dont trust aftermarket warrantys, there more a scam then its worth to try to get anything done with.

Royalton
11-23-12, 02:13 PM
Update:

Both the front and rear emblems come off without much effort and do not have any rivets or bolts holding them on.

First I parked the car in the sun, and opened rear lift gate so that that badge was facing the sun too. heating them up with the mid day sun works great if you don't have a heat gun or blow dryer. maybe even safer too. I won't not try to do this without heat. At one point the sun went away for a while and it was 20xs harder to work with it once it cooled down.

I took a thin non serrated steak knife and took my time basically cutting through the adhesive. be careful that the tip and the edge never touch the car so always have it angled into the badge.

Now for the annoying part, getting the adhesive off the car. Goo-gone or rubbing alcohol helps a lot but its still very time consuming. On the front I left a thin layer still on, the rear the adhesive is thicker so I basically peeled it off with my nails and rubbing alcohol

Putting them back on I simply peeled off the backing and stuck em on, than went around with good pressure to make sure it is on there good. There is no need for any glue or cement.

It is pretty amazing how much better it looks. A 3 year old car should never look like this, not only did the red's fade to pink but the yellow's faded to dark grey too. I'm still baffled as to why Cady won't cover this as it's pretty embarrassing for both them and their customers but that is clearly their choice.

In the end it took a few years off my girl and we are both happy once again :)

~ The End

Before & After, pretty big difference

Rustico
11-23-12, 05:52 PM
Shoot ... you put a little bit of lipstick on your lady and she shined right up. I'm still giving my lady the sharpie treatment...you know .the economy..stocks..bonds.. housing market not what it used to be..;)

Royalton
11-23-12, 06:59 PM
It's always Sunny lol awesome!

soulsea
11-23-12, 07:05 PM
Interesting ... my 2011 emblems are still good, but I guess it's just a matter of time.

Center cap emblems look like they're from the 70s tho. http://gobig12.net/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Shrug-smiley5.gif

Poncherello
11-23-12, 10:57 PM
My front and rear emblems are fine but the center caps have just about no red left.

DG2
11-24-12, 12:15 AM
Nice work......but Cadillac come on !! There has got to be a way to have the gorgeous logo not fade. Add $20 to the cost of the car and do it right.

wingnit
09-13-13, 07:24 AM
Royalton has the right idea using the sun to get the rear emblem hot enough for removal. Rather than using a knife to remove the emblem, get a piece of dental floss and use it as a saw. Once you have a little separation, you
can use goo b gone and continue the removal process by keeping it wet with the goo b gone.

gdirty5
09-13-13, 08:44 AM
Fishing wire works also for cutting through the glue. Goof off works better with taking off adhesives than goo gone, it's a little more aggressive though, so definitely wash it off immediately after.