: fuel pump laccess

JoanieAV
03-25-12, 02:07 PM
where do I find an access panel fo Fuel Pump replacement on my 2007 cts

ctsv154
03-25-12, 02:10 PM
You have to cut one, otherwise you're pulling the cradle and the fuel tank.

rjoffe
03-25-12, 03:51 PM
where do I find an access panel fo Fuel Pump replacement on my 2007 cts

Sawzall :)

JoanieAV
03-25-12, 06:06 PM
Thank you for the reply. We did we had to cut a panel it was 7.5 by 7.5 under the passenger rear seat. It was 24 inches in from the outer ridge outside of car into the seat area framing. We were dead on to so it wasn't that bad. Now of course we have to create a panel to cover it so it's not exposed to the under part of the seat.
Problem now is it still wont start after the new pump was put in. when we looked at the old unit we notice that inside the part where the wiring harness pulls into the pump itself that plastice looked smoked so we looked at the wiring pull itself and there are of course four wires yellow red green black.
The black hole looks like it started to melt at one point. So now I dont know whats going on

Does this mean I have to replace that whole wiring harness cause that threads thru the entire car to the front of the car and thats crazier then this panel business was

FuzzyLogic
03-25-12, 07:19 PM
JoanieAV--I'm hoping that English is your second or third language. Otherwise, you really need to take more time composing your posts.

ctsv154 and rjoffe--have either of you guys actually opened up that part of the body to install a new pump? I have a Walbro 255LPH fuel pump in the mail right now (for a Comp cam kit). I'm thinking that the Sawzall idea might work, but I don't want to introduce any additional road noise or squeaking. I could probably use a 16 gauge stainless steel sheet to cover up the gap and Dynamat over that, but I really wish I was more familiar with how hard it is to lower the cradle and pull the tank.

//back to researching...//

rjoffe
03-25-12, 08:50 PM
search google on this site. There are a number of discussions.

Search term :

site:www.cadillacforums.com cts-v fuel pump

CTSV_510
03-25-12, 08:55 PM
JoanieAV--I'm hoping that English is your second or third language. Otherwise, you really need to take more time composing your posts.

ctsv154 and rjoffe--have either of you guys actually opened up that part of the body to install a new pump? I have a Walbro 255LPH fuel pump in the mail right now (for a Comp cam kit). I'm thinking that the Sawzall idea might work, but I don't want to introduce any additional road noise or squeaking. I could probably use a 16 gauge stainless steel sheet to cover up the gap and Dynamat over that, but I really wish I was more familiar with how hard it is to lower the cradle and pull the tank.

//back to researching...//

Do NOT use a sawzall to make a hole for access to the fuel pump. Your best best is a nibbler - preferably an air nibbler if you don't want to be there for a while. You need to be careful because the plastic fuel tank is right below where you're cutting. I used a drill with a bit stop that only let it go about 1/4" to get the hole started. I didn't have a nibbler at the time (I do now), so I just used metal shears.

Here is a thread with some info. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/201627-fuel-leak-fuel-pump-melting-smoking.html

Also, I did a ghetto job of covering the hole because I wanted to keep checking on the issue I was having, so I just used aluminum tape and there is NO extra noise coming from the area.

CTSV_510
03-25-12, 11:22 PM
Problem now is it still wont start after the new pump was put in. when we looked at the old unit we notice that inside the part where the wiring harness pulls into the pump itself that plastice looked smoked so we looked at the wiring pull itself and there are of course four wires yellow red green black.
The black hole looks like it started to melt at one point. So now I dont know whats going on

Does this mean I have to replace that whole wiring harness cause that threads thru the entire car to the front of the car and thats crazier then this panel business was

This happened to me, I had to replace the pump/sending unit, and wire in a new pigtail connector from the main wiring harness. Take a look at the pictures in this thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/201627-fuel-leak-fuel-pump-melting-smoking.html

You said your car doesn't start - do you hear the fuel pump turn on when you turn the ignition to on? Did you check the fuse for the fuel pump? It's in the fuse box right under the carpet next to the pump.

JoanieAV
03-26-12, 02:13 PM
Yes we checked the fuses they are all working and good. No the pump wont run. When we tested the pumped to see if it was not working it did work with and alternate source of power outside the tank (we checked the pump just in case). But theres no power coming thru the wiring harness I can't figure it out. Anyone have any suggestions?. And you said something about you changing the "wire in a pig tail connector from the main wiring harness"? Does that mean you spliced the wires and pigtailed new ones to a new connector?

----------

My English is fine and my primary language though it's not my only language. Yes I should take more time with my posts and grammar Thank you pointing that out. I'm just so upset about my car. I not only am stranded without a car, my roof needs major repairs and my septic just went all in the last 48 hours. I wasn't particularly concerned about my grammar I just typed to see if someone could help.

CTSV_510
03-26-12, 04:39 PM
Yes we checked the fuses they are all working and good. No the pump wont run. When we tested the pumped to see if it was not working it did work with and alternate source of power outside the tank (we checked the pump just in case). But theres no power coming thru the wiring harness I can't figure it out. Anyone have any suggestions?. And you said something about you changing the "wire in a pig tail connector from the main wiring harness"? Does that mean you spliced the wires and pigtailed new ones to a new connector?[COLOR="Silver"]

The pig tail connector...it's the part that plugs into the sending unit in this picture, and you can see the wire loom wrapping around to the left. I cut the old burnt one out and soldered in a new connector. What type of shape is you connector in? Mine was all burnt up.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn240/ctsv510/Fuel%20Pump%20Leak/goodside.jpg

JoanieAV
03-26-12, 09:42 PM
My connector only shows minor smoked melting on the flat part on top and only where the black ground plugs into it. Inside the sending unit where it pulls in on the bottom right, that prong that connects to the black ground thru the plug is also slightly smoked. It actually was moving around like its bent or breaking apart causing it to ark and smoke. When we originally checked it outside the car the unit ran, but once it was in the tank it wouldn't then we thought to alternately use a outside power source , hold the wire straight and level to that ground prong, and the pump ran. I was able to start my car. I noticed in the pics that yours appears to be burnt thru on that bottom right as well. Then I looked around to see if others or other sites indicated that as a common problem. It was. I even went as far as calling Cadillac to find out. One of the mechanics was nice enough to admit that it was a common problem. He said that the manufacturer that makes these units is aware but that the very small percentage of them being faulty is so low that making them differently isn't cost effective. I asked him when was it cost effective I commented by asking "will it be cost effective when they have death associated with this part burning thru"? I was told "I'm sorry mam but servicing it regularly to keep an eye out on it now that it's become an issue is all that can be done. I didn't have the means to get a new one so I called around and found several used. Everyone had burnt marks on the side of the plastic like yours did and if that wasn't a problem the harnesses were burnt thru. In the end that prong inside the sending unit is the problem. If it starts to break causing the ground connection to be severed causing it to heat, smoke then burn. In all I need another unit and new. Hopefully I can soon. Thank you for all your help.