: How often do you get told "that thing sounds great?"

commander112
03-25-12, 12:20 AM
I am on my second V2 that is bone stock. I am told almost every day by someone how mean that my car sounds. How often fo you guys hear comments about how your stock car sounds? Since it is so quiet inside I just don't notice that it sounds powerful to others.

SoCal_V
03-25-12, 12:26 AM
I am on my second V2 that is bone stock. I am told almost every day by someone how mean that my car sounds. How often fo you guys hear comments about how your stock car sounds? Since it is so quiet inside I just don't notice that it sounds powerful to others.

I haven't been told this at all yet, and most of my friends are car guys.

There's a reason IMO...the CTS-V doesn't really sound all that great, mainly b/c it's too quiet.

Compare our V's stock exhaust note to a burbly, gutteral sounding C63 or E/CLS63 AMG Mercedes or M5 at full song and we lose.

Speaking of which...I think it's time for me to order that BORLA exhaust... :cool2:

SoCalCTSV
03-25-12, 12:36 AM
Never.

Only when I'm in my Chevelle.

GM-4-LIFE
03-25-12, 12:44 AM
With my stock exhaust, never. With my Borla Sport Catback system, all the damn time! My car sounds really mean, especially at WOT!

undertaker
03-25-12, 12:45 AM
Maybe in my tahoe with the 502 crate motor or one of the vettes but never the caddy

SoCalCTSV
03-25-12, 12:50 AM
With my stock exhaust, never. With my Borla Sport Catback system, all the damn time! My car sounds really mean, especially at WOT!

Can I stop by and listen to your car one day? I'm in Agoura and work in Century City.

I just found your car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qrkiaXRSaE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

GM-4-LIFE
03-25-12, 01:07 AM
SURE! I am in Sherman Oaks Monday through Friday 10 am to 5 pm.

thebigjimsho
03-25-12, 03:42 AM
Behind the car sounds absolutely different than inside.

And you don't need a catback to sound badass. Kooks headers, stock muffs...

litig8r187
03-25-12, 03:56 AM
Frequently with the Corsa Sport exhaust. Its still way to tame for me though. I think its time for some LTs.

commander112
03-25-12, 09:10 AM
Really, I'm sure that some form of custom exhaust does wonders for the car but I hear from people all of the time. Tonight as I was pulling into my club a member said he "heard you coming down the street before I saw you and knew it was something with power pulling in". I know it is a toned down Caddy sound but there still is a fire breathing V8 in there. When I stop by my girlfriends house you can easily hear the car resonate beween her house and the neighbors. The car guy neighbor loves it and comes out to check it out every time.

Trapspeed
03-25-12, 09:21 AM
Agreed it's got a decent burbling tone but I think it appeals to a different ear than most gear heads have. I know after I got used to 1 7/8" headers on a resonator with a cam the V sounds mild!

Rockey
03-25-12, 10:21 AM
Behind the car sounds absolutely different than inside.

Definitely true. You can notice a big difference from just to the side to directly behind. With Corsa axle back, I also notice a big diffenrence from the front seat to the rear seats as well. I had my wife drive the V while I was in the back seat trying to figure out a whining sound (turned out to be a hub bearing) when she got on it and it sounded freaking awesome. The sound was quite loud coming from under the rear seats.

Darnell
03-25-12, 11:26 AM
I've heard it a few times. I think the stock exhaust has a nice little rumble outside of the car.

hulksdaddy
03-25-12, 11:37 AM
I've heard it a few times. I think the stock exhaust has a nice little rumble outside of the car.

Agreed. I don't want my caddy to sound too loud. It's not a Camaro.

SoCalCTSV
03-25-12, 11:52 AM
I've been patient waiting to decide what cutback I will get.

Then I heard my friend's Scuderia and it ruined me completely.

cts-v-ette
03-25-12, 12:50 PM
I agree with hulksdaddy I don't want my caddy to be too loud. Don't get me wrong I love the rumble and I thought changing the exhaust would be one of the first things I would do. After I brought my coupe my brother who drives a G8 had a Magnaflow cat back installed, he pulled it out of the garage and it sounded great. Side by side they both had a good sound to them. We got into the G8 and he stomped on it, it was way too loud inside. I new right away I didn't want my caddy to be that loud inside, it's a mussel car but it's also a caddy. The best of both worlds.

Shoevette
03-25-12, 12:54 PM
I have to say that my '11 coupe (black with polished wheels, Recaro, black wood, and suede) gets way more attention than I anticipated. [Wasn't looking for it] I pretty much can't park in any parking lot without at least a "nice car man", if not a full on discussion. You can tell people have read the articles and know the specs. The plus side, I suppose, is that I feel obligated to keep her pretty well turned out all the time, which is a bit tough on a DD. Also cool is that we get regular reminders that we own special cars. My guess is the bloom will stay on this rose longer than the usual car purchase.

But to respond to the post, I do hear that comment, but frankly I could not hear it from the driver's seat. So I put on a Corsa sport axle back this weekend. Night and day to me, and I like the report when coming OFF the throttle, which was not there with the stock exhaust. I realize it is a Caddy, but it is a bad bitc* too -- let her whine I say.

thebigjimsho
03-25-12, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I wanted the headers to add to the note but not go crazy. I really want my Caddy to stay a Caddy...

brlong23
03-25-12, 10:50 PM
I get more comments on the looks than the exhaust note and I have the Corsa Axle Back...video attached of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZTqJpvY8KM

cts-v-ette
03-26-12, 11:23 AM
Brlong23 how much loader is it while driving with the windows closed?

SecretWeapon
03-26-12, 12:44 PM
Never when it was stock. Now with my full SW exhaust and KDI cam - all the time!

JFJr
03-26-12, 02:17 PM
I like telling "good old boys" that like the sound, that the "V" has a 4 cylinder engine. Some actually believe it. Ha haa!

Jud :lildevil:

DrVolkl
03-26-12, 02:33 PM
I can't wait to change my stock exhaust, but I must say, every time I'm outside of the car with it running, I'm rather surprised on how good it sounds. It's way better than you'd expect... and it has a great little bark on startup. Maybe driving a something that's supposed to be rather silent to begin with (a wagon) makes it all that much better.

VhiteVagon
03-26-12, 11:00 PM
One thing is that on startup, the V has a great boom to it. I use remote start a lot just to hear it turn on. From inside, though, it's a little too quiet. Still all stock as of now. Just passed the 1,500 mile break-in period and it's sounding better and better! Cat-back is coming pretty soon! KDi installs SW. Any thoughts? It is probably between that and Corsa.

brlong23
03-27-12, 02:01 AM
Here's what the Corsa's sound like on the inside...at 129 mph :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1gSVyuw7Ks