: Thunder Grey - Black Grill

CTSV_Jim
03-24-12, 10:52 PM
Just finished a quick project. I LOVE the threads of late on PlatiDip. So I decided to try it myself. On white, I believe blacking everything out looks good. But on Thunder Grey, I think it needs a bit of contrast with chrome. I started with the grills, but left the surround. I may do the fender vents, but leave the window surround. In the back, I am trying to decide whether or not to do the big chrome piece.

Please no comments on the chin cunnards, I know I need to replace the left.

I also went the bumper removal route as you can see. My big 'ol meathooks are too large to fit behind without removing it. Clips along the bottom, three clips on each fender liner and (2) 10mm bolts (bumper fascia to fender vertically). Then remove the fog light clips and headlight squirter hoses. Only difficultly was putting it back on and getting the brake ducts aligned.

thebigjimsho
03-25-12, 03:59 AM
I think everyone feels compelled to show the front end on the ground in front of their Vs...

MSOsr
03-25-12, 09:18 AM
Looks great!

Mike (mine too)

BWhite58
03-25-12, 07:34 PM
Nice Job . Not sure I like the look .

thebigjimsho
03-25-12, 11:29 PM
Nice Job . Not sure I like the look .You are nuts...

Purple87SS
03-30-12, 11:05 AM
Looks better then I thought it would. Good Job

TriTexan
05-04-12, 04:01 AM
You are nuts...

Not nuts. I think it is a nice job also, but this look isn't quite for me either. I can't say exactly what I would change, but I think the straight black isn't on the mark.

I do however think CTSV_Jim is right on point about leaving the surround chrome - that was a really good call. Maybe the darker grill IS right, but just not black. Black chrome? Anyway, gotta think on that one a little.

I actually like the stock grill on my 2012 Thunder Gray V, but maybe the grill look has changed since the 09's? If so, then I can easily see doing something over the stock look.

CTS-Vz
05-04-12, 11:36 AM
...You shoulda just left the blue masking tape on an told people you had a candy paint grill! Very Thuggish ruggish bone, no? :)

CTSV4now
05-04-12, 11:59 AM
How did you get the front clip off with the wheels in place! Nice work. I had to remove both front wheels to get the fender wells out.

It looks good.

Personally, I don't like all the chrome accents on the V's, but others do like the chrome. Are you going to black out anything else?

thebigjimsho
05-04-12, 12:10 PM
Not nuts. I think it is a nice job also, but this look isn't quite for me either. I can't say exactly what I would change, but I think the straight black isn't on the mark.

I do however think CTSV_Jim is right on point about leaving the surround chrome - that was a really good call. Maybe the darker grill IS right, but just not black. Black chrome? Anyway, gotta think on that one a little.

I actually like the stock grill on my 2012 Thunder Gray V, but maybe the grill look has changed since the 09's? If so, then I can easily see doing something over the stock look.Nuts.

Airfoto
05-05-12, 08:25 AM
The contrast of the black with Thunder Gray looks very good - nice job!

CTSV_Jim
05-07-12, 11:39 AM
Thanks for all the comments.

CTSV4Now - If you turn the wheels, you can get to everything when it's up on ramps. I am thinking about blacking out the big chrome piece on the trunk and maybe the side vents. I am up in the air about it. I think the chrome accents on Thunder Grey look good, but maybe too much. Maybe this weekend, I'll do them and see. If I don't like it, I can always peel it off. :) LOVE the PlastiDip

-Jim

Airfoto
05-07-12, 06:16 PM
Jim - I just bought my CTS V last week and have been looking on the forum about making some changes - I personnally like the looks of what you did - have seen some completely Blacked out and others like yours - I had never heard about the plasticDip stuff until I came on this forum - very cool - I bought the Red and am going to change some of the chrome to gun metal gray and see what it looks like - anyway it's your car and your tastes enjoy it!!!!!!! Joe