: Test Drove SRT Grand Cherokee

litig8r187
03-24-12, 03:49 PM
Thursday was a beautiful day in Central Texas so I went out cruising. I saw an SRT Charger Super Bee (Black and Yellow) at the local CDJ dealership so I went in to check it out. Then I saw a black 2012 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee. This was the first one I had seen in person.

I came to the CTS-V from a an SRT Jeep and, in many ways, I miss it. My Jeep was totalled just before the 2012 was released. However, between the price of the Jeep and the less than expected performance numbers and the uncertain release dates, I decided to get a V.

I was just going to "eyeball" the Jeep. I must admit, I liked it much more in person than I did in pics. I was surprised when a friend, who is the Sales Manager for the dealership, offered me a dive. Of course, I took him up.

My first impression was I really miss the sound of the hemi. It is just so "old school". I also really liked the hard shifts when the jeep was in "track mode". The paddle shifters were much more fun than those on the V. I thought Jeep's decision to not use the 8 speed was an issue but, now, I don't. The vehicle is also very nice inside. The quality of this vehicle is waaayyy better than the old Jeep. With "only" 480 HP, there are few things in this world that launch like an SRT Jeep. I think that is what I miss most about the Jeep. I also found I was a little more comfortable in the Jeep than my V but I'm a big boy (5-11, 300#).

All that said, it still is not all that great looking. I like it better than I thought I would but it is nothing like the V. While I was looking at the Jeep, half the sales staff were drooling over my V. Also, aside from the launch, the 60-100, 30-70 runs were NOTHING like the V. The Jeep also sits way too high, even for an SUV. That thing needs lowering in the worst kind of way. Bigger wheels (22"), lower profile tires and lowering springs would really help the looks. As I walked around the Jeep, I found myself thinking of visual mods to do immediately. Most were things I would do to fix "design flaws" I really disliked. The antiquated "head unit" for the stereo/nav is also a big problem. why Chrysler didn't put the same new set up they use in the Charger and 300 in the Jeep is a mystery to me. The old unit is tiny and looks dated. Even though my friend has offered me the Jeep at his cost (invoice less holdback) if I ordered one, I don't think I will spend $60K on a ride I would immediately spend $10K visually modding. On top of that, the ECM has not been hacked, so doing any serious power adders is not really an option yet.

I think I'll hang with the V for awhile. Its another beautiful day here so I think I'll go wash the V and take her out for a good beating.

SoCalCTSV
03-24-12, 04:26 PM
Nice write up.

We were looking at the BMW X6 and the salespeople were all drooling aver my V. I let a friend who is a salesman there ake the V for a drive and he said he preferred it over anything they sold.

muohio
03-24-12, 09:19 PM
Friend got a loaded with Grand Cherokee with all the options and I was really put off by the headunit as well. The thing just looked horrible in a brand new "flagship" vehicle. The interior was also not as nice as I was expecting for how much the car has been promoted.

V Wagon
03-25-12, 12:25 AM
A place called Payso Productions has a race between a manual V and a '12 SRT Jeep on their DVD. The V walked around the Jeep pretty quickly.

Karch
03-26-12, 01:54 PM
I bought a Laredo with the Hemi last year for my wife, and I got flamed immediately for asking about lowering it an inch, saying it's not a mini-truck, it's a Jeep.
Truth is, I wanted to lower it because the wheel gaps are too big, my wife is short (as it my 6 year old), and have a tough time getting in (my Trailblazer SS is lowered a bit, and much easier to get in), and, to make matters worse, my garage cabinets hang about an inch too low for the hood, so I was always afraid of creasing that aluminum hood if I pulled in after a couple of beers.

Well, 10 months and 8K miles later, and it has settled about an inch or inch and a half.

Also, on the Jeep forums, where I got flamed, I mentioned it's 2WD, not 4WD, and reminded them the SRT8 is lower!

SoCalCTSV
03-26-12, 11:57 PM
I bought a Laredo with the Hemi last year for my wife, and I got flamed immediately for asking about lowering it an inch, saying it's not a mini-truck, it's a Jeep.
Truth is, I wanted to lower it because the wheel gaps are too big, my wife is short (as it my 6 year old), and have a tough time getting in (my Trailblazer SS is lowered a bit, and much easier to get in), and, to make matters worse, my garage cabinets hang about an inch too low for the hood, so I was always afraid of creasing that aluminum hood if I pulled in after a couple of beers.

Well, 10 months and 8K miles later, and it has settled about an inch or inch and a half.

Also, on the Jeep forums, where I got flamed, I mentioned it's 2WD, not 4WD, and reminded them the SRT8 is lower!

I have an 07 Overland 2WD with the MDS. It is supposed to take a split second to go from 4 to 8 cylinders but when you need to accelerate to change lanes, it falls on its face for that split second leaving wondering WTF???? I hated it. My daughter gets it when she ges her license next year so I will probably throw some springs to give her a better view of the road.

P-Dawger
03-27-12, 06:01 PM
Thursday was a beautiful day in Central Texas so I went out cruising. I saw an SRT Charger Super Bee (Black and Yellow) at the local CDJ dealership so I went in to check it out. Then I saw a black 2012 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee. This was the first one I had seen in person.

I came to the CTS-V from a an SRT Jeep and, in many ways, I miss it. My Jeep was totalled just before the 2012 was released. However, between the price of the Jeep and the less than expected performance numbers and the uncertain release dates, I decided to get a V.

I was just going to "eyeball" the Jeep. I must admit, I liked it much more in person than I did in pics. I was surprised when a friend, who is the Sales Manager for the dealership, offered me a dive. Of course, I took him up.

My first impression was I really miss the sound of the hemi. It is just so "old school". I also really liked the hard shifts when the jeep was in "track mode". The paddle shifters were much more fun than those on the V. I thought Jeep's decision to not use the 8 speed was an issue but, now, I don't. The vehicle is also very nice inside. The quality of this vehicle is waaayyy better than the old Jeep. With "only" 480 HP, there are few things in this world that launch like an SRT Jeep. I think that is what I miss most about the Jeep. I also found I was a little more comfortable in the Jeep than my V but I'm a big boy (5-11, 300#).

All that said, it still is not all that great looking. I like it better than I thought I would but it is nothing like the V. While I was looking at the Jeep, half the sales staff were drooling over my V. Also, aside from the launch, the 60-100, 30-70 runs were NOTHING like the V. The Jeep also sits way too high, even for an SUV. That thing needs lowering in the worst kind of way. Bigger wheels (22"), lower profile tires and lowering springs would really help the looks. As I walked around the Jeep, I found myself thinking of visual mods to do immediately. Most were things I would do to fix "design flaws" I really disliked. The antiquated "head unit" for the stereo/nav is also a big problem. why Chrysler didn't put the same new set up they use in the Charger and 300 in the Jeep is a mystery to me. The old unit is tiny and looks dated. Even though my friend has offered me the Jeep at his cost (invoice less holdback) if I ordered one, I don't think I will spend $60K on a ride I would immediately spend $10K visually modding. On top of that, the ECM has not been hacked, so doing any serious power adders is not really an option yet.

I think I'll hang with the V for awhile. Its another beautiful day here so I think I'll go wash the V and take her out for a good beating.

Nice write up and pretty much spot on. I had an 06 Jeep SRT8 - fun, so much fun in fact that I unloaded my M5(e39) to drive the Jeep everyday. So now I am in the market for a performance based 4 door. Been watching the Jeep closely and it has all the flaws you mentioned. When I drove I thought another 60-90hp would really make me overlook the problems you mentioned. There are rumors of a supercharger for the LX cars...I am sure soon down the road one will be offered for the Jeep. Then we are talking, update the NAV and give it other some performance tweeks and you will have a real performer. I think Giles got caught sleeping on the 6.4 cars...the Mustang, Camaro etc are head and shoulders above in the HP and handling categories...even Ford is coming out with an SHO based Explorer here in the next few days.

Like I said before if Chryco wants my money - they need more HP...500hp is the minimum needed to play in the HP wars these days - 550-600 is more like it. With that said I am still shopping - no word on the 2013 jeeps...just little changes, 2014 is the refresh so if I see better NAV, Supercharger and 8 speed tranny with real paddle shifting...Chryco gets my money.

The CTS-V is long in the tooth...styling and interior need a major revamp - all it really has is the performance and for some that is good enough main reason I am still shopping...C63 and the new M5 maybe but not a turbo guy and no manual in the C63 so the search goes on...

thebigjimsho
03-27-12, 06:08 PM
I don't think its long in the tooth at all...

neuronbob
03-27-12, 06:45 PM
The current V is long in the tooth? Really? Sure, the interior could use some work and could use CUE yesterday, but the exterior is certainly not dated.

RapidRob
03-27-12, 06:51 PM
^^^ - +3 - love the styling, still!

Rob

SoCalCTSV
03-27-12, 08:36 PM
Maybe the sedan but the Coupe and wagons?

thebigjimsho
03-28-12, 12:19 AM
Never the sedan!

Purple87SS
03-28-12, 02:54 PM
I saw an SRT8 JGC on the road the other day. I prefer the 1 gens. My buddy who has a 07 SRT JGC hates the new body style.

thebigjimsho
03-28-12, 06:23 PM
Yeah, the first gens looked a lot more aggressive...

smackdownCTSV
03-28-12, 07:24 PM
It looks like ass and it's overpriced. They jacked up the price over $15K.