: New Differential decision by Monday Morning - Help!



Faber
03-24-12, 03:48 PM
Shop is getting close to finished the repairs from my recent fender bender when they realized the diff was damaged as well. Insurance company is willing to fund a used '04 from Cleveland Pick A Part with 45,000 miles on it. I'm still waiting to find out if it's the newer generation (25873498) or not, but my guess is that it isn't. I was talking to the shop about my concerns with a used diff - unknown level of care, if it whines, etc - and we came to the agreement that if I wanted, I'd be fine using the ~$1,000 that they would spend on the used part for whatever other option I wanted. So...after digging for some time on the forum, I see my options as follows:

Accept the Used Diff only on the condition that they warranty it for at minimum 12 months and not be out of pocket any loot.
Pony up the difference for a new OEM Gen III (or is it IV?) diff (msrp ~$1959) - about $1,000 out of pocket but have piece of mind until I start serious modding.
Go with Gforce or Creative Steel bolt in ($4,600 - $5,600 msrp) - $3,600+ out of pocket but be set for most anything I want to do in the future.


How much HP/TQ can the 25873498 diff handle? I'm stock now, but will likely be doing some bolt ons & tune. No serious engine work for at least a few years. Maybe a cam, but still keep it streetable/semi refined - nothing rediculous.

My planned usage for the car is a daily driver but weekend warrior occasionally. Likely road courses and the occasional parking lot cone course. Nothing too serious though.

My thoughts are that the Gforce/Creative steel type solution is overkill given my 3 yr plans. I think I'd be too worried about the used diff & don't want to be battling w/the insurance company 3 months from now if it has issues. Ponying up the extra $1K for the new diff gives me the piece of mind with it being the most recent gen as well as new, plus, if in a year or two I decide to do some engine work and need a beefier solution, I could likely recoup much if not all of the $1K by selling it as used.

What's everyone think? - Am I missing any other options that have come along? It'd be cool if there was a beefed up bolt-in replacement for around $2,500, but it'd be cool if I could shit gold too. Am I over valuing the new gen diff as compared to the used one?

Thanks in advance!

atdeneve
03-24-12, 05:55 PM
[...]
2. Pony up the difference for a new OEM Gen III (or is it IV?) diff (msrp ~$1959) - about $1,000 out of pocket but have piece of mind until I start serious modding.
[...]

If I'm not mistaken, should only be around 1400 for a new Gen IV diff - so, about 400 out of pocket. I don't know if that might help ease the decision...

wcryan
03-24-12, 06:01 PM
pulling a little extra outta your pocket to put an 8.8 AND having the peace of mind of never breaking your diff is worth the payoff to me.

and if you ever do somehow break that 8.8. They are everywhere

----------

pulling a little extra outta your pocket to put an 8.8 AND having the peace of mind of never breaking your diff is worth the payoff to me.

and if you ever do somehow break that 8.8. They are everywhere

darkman
03-24-12, 06:53 PM
I agree with the above. I would not do #1 under any circumstances. Option 2 if don't have the coin or inclination to do Option 3. And Option 2 should be less - call Luke at Lindsay.

Faber
03-25-12, 04:19 PM
Good call regarding reaching out to Luke - that'll be my first step monday morning. I'm a proponent of making things bullet proof and would love to be able to romp on it all day w/out a care, but I don't really have the coinage to put out ~$3,500 for that pleasure.

lollygagger8
03-26-12, 12:51 PM
Gforce 9" = worth every penny

Faber
03-26-12, 01:21 PM
Luke was definetely able to save me some money. Well, I ended up going with the Gen IV diff + CS bushing & bushing block. Really wanted to go for the CS or Gforce, but finances just wouldn't allow the additional investment at this time. thanks for the fedback. Hopefully get the car back by the weekend :D

JFensty
03-28-12, 08:16 PM
What is the diff going for now?

Faber
03-28-12, 10:32 PM
new diff - just shy of 1700, used diff - shop priced one out for around $800 or so.