: Northstar coolant pellets?

megatron
11-18-04, 10:42 PM
Where are these located and should they be replaced when the coolant is flushed for example? I would have asked soon but just heard the term today and was curious about it.

BeelzeBob
11-18-04, 11:05 PM
Use the search feature in the forum tool bar. Type "coolant supplement" into the drop down box and read my posts. Lots of previous info.

The pellets or coolant supplement can be purchased at any GM dealer or you can substitute the BarsLeaks "golden seal" powder brand of cooling system sealer. The BarsLeaks "golden seal" powder in the clear tube is exactly the same substance and it is readily available in most discount and auto parts stores.

It is important with the Northstar to put the supplement or pellets into the RADIATOR HOSE....not the surge tank. Disconnect one of the rad hoses, pop the pellets or powder in and reconnect the hose. Do NOT put it into the surge tank as it will not be distributed thru the system and will not function correctly.

Yes, the supplement or pellets should be installed when the coolant is drained and fresh coolant is installed to refresh the system. The sealer looses it's effectiveness with time/miles just like the coolant looses it's corrosion inhibitors.

Spyder
11-18-04, 11:21 PM
I have a question about the bars leak...When I filled my radiator, I noticed there were about five different types of Bars leaks. The heavy duty, regular, "original pellet formula" which was still liquid and so forth...are they all basically the same, or should I search for the proper one out of all of them. I used the liquid one which claimed it was the original pellet formula.

BeelzeBob
11-19-04, 01:23 AM
I have a question about the bars leak...When I filled my radiator, I noticed there were about five different types of Bars leaks. The heavy duty, regular, "original pellet formula" which was still liquid and so forth...are they all basically the same, or should I search for the proper one out of all of them. I used the liquid one which claimed it was the original pellet formula.

Notice I said use the BarsLeaks "golden seal" powder....??? That is not the liquid or heavy duty or whatever.... The GM coolant supplement pellets are solid pellets of the BarsLeaks "golden seal" powder.

The other BarsLeaks products are similar material. The smaller pellets in the jar with the dark liquid are the same pellet material but the dark liquid is unnecessary and can cause foaming in some high flow water pumps like the Northstar so I do not recommend using it. It is OK in a pinch and is not sure death but the "golden seal" powder in the clear tube is the correct stuff. Check the BarsLeaks site... http://www.barsproducts.com/origin.html What you want is the product G12BP or the pellets HDC

CadiJeff
11-19-04, 01:37 AM
bbob have you heaf anything about the bars leak head gasket sealer?

BeelzeBob
11-19-04, 06:56 PM
bbob have you heaf anything about the bars leak head gasket sealer?

Nothing good.....

haymaker
11-19-04, 09:36 PM
Nothing good.....
I have used the Bars head gasket sealer twice. It failed to stop the head gasket leak both times. The reason for the second usage was because I was unsure I had removed all the coolant from the system the first try. The Bars stop leak, block and head gasket sealer that I used was very expensive.
To use this type of sealer you first must flush all of the existing coolant from the system then the Bars head gasket sealer is poured into the top radiator hose then reattach the hose and refill the cooling system with plain water. Start the car and let it warm to normal operating temperature at idle then run for another ** minutes then at 1,500 rpm for another ** minutes. Stop the engine let it cool down a little then drain the cooling system and let it set open over night. The next day refill the system with 50/50 mix and drive on into the sunset. Lol.

I have used Bars over the years and it usually works great but all the Bars horses and all the Bars men wonít stop a head gasket leak in a N* if the leak is from the combustion chamber into the water jacket. Stop leak is for low-pressure leaks say 16 pound and under but not high-pressure leaks caused by the pressures of combustion unless of course someone was willing to pour the head gasket sealer down the intake manifold. Lol. If a leak has developed from the head gasket (water jacket out toward the external parts of the block) the stop leak may work If your head gasket is leaking by way of the combustion chamber the stop leak just canít get to the leak it is constantly pushed away. The way I understand the process of the stopping of the leak. First the particles of stop leak need to be suspended in the coolant. Second the particles must travel to and then try and travel through the opening gathering like platelets in blood to clot and then form a scab.

BeelzeBob
11-20-04, 12:43 AM
The way I figure it is that the head gasket is pretty robust. If the stainless steel fire ring and gasket sealing the combustion chamber cannot seal then it is unlikely that some kind of glue poured into the water jacket is going to. It might make a temporary seal but it will not be worth the time and money and trouble.