: Three-year reliability report on my 2009 V sedan

neuronbob
03-24-12, 02:08 PM
I picked up my car three years ago on 3/20.

In that three years, I have driven a little over 35k miles. I almost didn't make this post because in a fit of new car lust, I actually considered trading it in for a more fuel-efficient and less expensive car. A poor trade-in value ultimately changed my mind. I have not turned back. Honestly, that was the best thing that could have happened because I really like the car, and ANYTHING else less expensive I buy will be a step down.

So on to the review.

As of 3/20/2012, I have 35,177 miles on the car. When I paid for it, it had 8 miles, 4 of those from my test drive.

Major events in 35k miles and three years:

Average mileage over that period is 14 mpg. Over the last six months:

http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-us/107323.png (http://www.fuelly.com/driver/neuronbob/cts)

3000 miles--rearended by a moron talking on his cell phone. Fscking dumbass. Led to replacement of cracked rear bumper and left tail light. Cost: $1800. Could have been worse.

8.5k miles--I hit construction road debris, tore driver's front tire (Pirelli SottoZero winter tire) and bent wheel. Car had to be towed in a snowstorm to the dealer. New wheel and tire within 24 hours. My servicing Cadillac dealer earns my respect with super-duper AFTER-HOURS service.

17k miles--Front passenger side door housing replaced under warranty because it failed. This is apparently a regular issue with the CTS.

19k miles--rear diff groaning in low-speed turns. Fluid replaced, sound has never returned.

23k miles--same as at 17k miles, but front driver's side. Driver's seat squeaked so tracks lubed. Problem gone and hasn't returned.

34k miles--Front wheel hubs replaced under warranty due to high-pitched sound at most forward speeds. Sound gone.

Five oil changes. I change the oil when the MID gets to 15-20%, I never let it get to 0%. The exception was the first oil change, which was done with less than 5k miles. LS engines are rock solid reliable and I want to improve the chance my engine will live a long time. Average distance between oil changes is 7k miles when I wait for 15-20%.

Four trips to the dealer for warranty issues as noted above (well, actually, only one of them was between oil changes) may seem like a lot of issues to some, but I classify them as minor annoyances. I have never been stranded by the car and the drivetrain is SOLID. It helps that my servicing dealer is STELLAR and I would recommend them to anyone for service. They treat me as if they want me to come back for service, so I do.

To compare, I had about six dealer visits for warranty issues with my last car, a 2006 Acura RL. I therefore think the V is quite reliable.

Interior: The V is still quiet other than a rare driver's side B-pillar rattle from the seat belt adjustment. Too minor to do anything about. The driver's seat is wearing reasonably well. It had developed some creases on the seat bolster next to the door by a few thousand miles, but they have not worsened. The center console creaks when you press on it (e.g. not on a button), but it did that when new. It's not been bothersome as I have no real reason to touch the console.

Exterior: The car has seen a car wash only 3-4 times during my ownership, a couple times when the dealer forgot that I said "DON'T WASH" and once shortly after I purchased the car and was in a hurry. The car has otherwise been hand-washed with Zaino Z7, with multiple layers of Z2 placed twice a year. It's kept the paint beautiful. The stock wheels become badly discolored from brake dust, but I used some Iron-X a few weeks ago to get all that off. They look almost new and sometime in the spring, now that they are off, I'll more thoroughly clean them.

Driving experience: Still fun. A couple of new videos of everyday driving are below. I can't get enough of that low-end torque. This car is so EASY to drive assertively and yet can be just as tame when driven as a traditional Cadillac.

What do CTS-V owners do during rush hour?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIRb93_kybo

Startup, some street driving, an onramp freeway blast, then back to the speed limit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqEBxRPg098

The bottom line: I am lucky to own what will likely be a piece of American automotive history. I am happy it's been so reasonably reliable. It's almost paid off and when it is.....gas prices won't matter as without a payment, that's more money for gas (and savings).

Here's how the car sits as of about ten days ago...yes, you've all seen a stock V before but I like taking pics of the car, so here it is.
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/655/img1970copy.jpg
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/8553/img1973copy.jpg
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/704/img1975copy.jpg
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6885/img1978copyg.jpg
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/5504/img1979copy.jpg
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/1607/img1980copy.jpg
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9113/img1982copy.jpg
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/834/img1990copy.jpg

Since then, I've swapped for my summer wheels/tires to what's in my sig.

I hope this helps some! Planning on keeping this car for quite a while. Puts a smile on my face every time I start it up.

M5eater
03-24-12, 02:21 PM
I approve of this post...
http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/6b7/000/d97/resized/gandalf-meme-generator-you-shall-pass-134477.jpg

neuronbob
03-24-12, 02:34 PM
Forgot to mention, the fit of car lust was about six weeks ago. Again, I have not looked back. This is probably the best car I've ever owned.

All I need now is a lead to a good price on GMPP. Looking at James Black Cadillac as they seem to have decent prices.

smackdownCTSV
03-24-12, 04:44 PM
It seems like 09s have the least amount of issues. That's pretty uncommon on a FMY. Also, I'd blame at least $2K to the accident and another $2K due to lack of $4K+ in options. Nice write up nonetheless.

Trapspeed
03-24-12, 09:18 PM
Great write up. Please send what you find out about the GMPP.

neuronbob
03-25-12, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the comments and likes. I still get thumb's ups on the freeway and my car is constantly ogled when I out with it, which is almost every day. I don't get as many comments as those with V Coupes or wagons get nowadays, but that's not why I bought the car. No one tries to race me on public streets, though! I guess most Clevelanders are not into that sort of thing. I'm certainly not.

I'll certainly mention what I find about GMPP. Since I've got 35k miles now, I've only got 1k miles (for my driving, about a month), to figure out what to do before the next step in GM's price hikes occurs. GM sure does know how to milk money out of extended warranties!

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-26-12, 12:52 PM
Thank you so much for the report, neuronbob! Very interesting and informative. I'm also interested to hear about your next steps at James Black, so thanks in advance for keeping all of us in the loop. And please feel free to private message me anytime if you have additional questions.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

V locity
03-27-12, 11:37 PM
Nice post & thanks for the info.

Where's the Animal crackers & Goldfish?:)

Purple87SS
03-28-12, 09:50 AM
Very nice write up!

thebigjimsho
03-28-12, 12:01 PM

I want my fruit punch...

p rao
03-28-12, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm enjoying my 2011 Black Diamond Edition Sedan V. No problems so far (just made a year of ownership).

neuronbob
03-29-12, 08:56 PM

LOL! My little guy is partial to Goldfish, Fruity Pebbles treats, and CapriSun. You don't see them because he is well-trained for a 5-year-old and he knows Daddy doesn't like a messy car. :)

V locity
03-29-12, 09:37 PM
LOL! My little guy is partial to Goldfish, Fruity Pebbles treats, and CapriSun. You don't see them because he is well-trained for a 5-year-old and he knows Daddy doesn't like a messy car. :)

Too much of that stuff and his head will start to spin & then the green mixture of capri sun & fruity pebbles will spew all over daddies nice clean car:)

thebigjimsho
03-29-12, 09:41 PM
I can make a grown man spew that kinda crap in my V...

03-30-12, 05:37 PM
All I need now is a lead to a good price on GMPP. Looking at James Black Cadillac as they seem to have decent prices.

Last year I researched the GMPP question. Black had the best prices around (remember to add $36 or so for a service fee; it's in their small print). The fellow from Superior that was on the forum at the time had offered to match Black's prices, but then he moved on before I closed the deal, so I went back to Black, twice; once for the V and once for my Suburban.

thebigjimsho
03-30-12, 05:42 PM
Thank goodness...

neuronbob
03-31-12, 04:08 AM
That's who I'm going with. Going to place the order soon. Only driven the V another 150 miles since the OP as weather's been great and S2000 has been out to play....so I've got plenty of time. Stepped price increases with miles during the regular warranty FTL :thumbdown: .

BlackShadow
04-01-12, 11:22 AM
Great write, very interesting. I'd love to upgrade to a V, but can't afford the extra 20 grand right now. Anyway, as far as GMPP, check with Ken Fitchner (sp?) in Montana. I bought one though them a few years ago. EXCELLENT customer service and very good prices. Google for email address or check them out on the Corvette forum.

Mickeytl
03-08-13, 05:00 AM
Excellent review...wonder if the 10 & 11 models are as reliable?

IBMike
03-08-13, 06:31 AM
Another great write-up that has me confident I'll love my V when I finally get one!

DCV
03-08-13, 08:56 AM
My 09 has that slight rattle from the seat belt tensioner as well. I think some felt will get rid of it. I also have a rattle in the back when it's cold. Good write up.

garfin
03-08-13, 10:45 AM
Excellent review...wonder if the 10 & 11 models are as reliable?
Thanks for the great write-up/report!
My '10 sedan (bone stock 6MN, Recaros, Ultraview) has served me very well with only a couple of hiccups so far (only 32,000 KM)...
- replacement of rear sensor under warranty to eliminate "Service Suspension" message in DIC (no symptoms observed)
- battery in key fob died at a gas station with fob in the car. Was locked out and OnStar had to unlock the car for me (easy and inexpensive do-it-yourself battery replacement - too lazy to take it to dealer to be done under warranty)
- brakes seized a few weeks ago when left outside for 2 weeks - took a while to free them up, but no residual issues.

So far. I have NO wheel-clicking (swap wheels twice a year - Torque to 158 on fronts, clean thoroughly and apply lithium grease where wheel meets hub), NO supercharger rattle, NO rocking Recaros, NO Ultraview squeaks, creaks or groans, NO water leaks.
I couldn't be happier with this car!

Best regards,

Elie

cruiser68
03-08-13, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the write up! My 2011 has been very good even with mods and many track days. Only warranty work was for the 2-piece rotors and the key fob battery. I beat her pretty hard on the track and so far I am thrilled with reliability......tire wear seems to be a problem when I can't keep my right foot out of the gas :) 30K miles in almost 2 years.

I'm so happy with my car that I said no thanks when my dealer called wanting to give me a 13 for my 11 and keep my payments and term the same. Too much time to de-mod and re-mod and mine has been really solid.

neuronbob
03-08-13, 02:12 PM
What a blast from the past! I'm glad the post helped someone out.

My car was so reliable that I traded out for a new V wagon back in December. I had only one other issue before trade-in, a ghost "service suspension" message that was sorted out after replugging and relubing. I traded out with a touch over 45k miles on the odo.

Based on my experience with V #1, I expect a relatively trouble-free ride in V #2.

Someone is driving my old V right now, it's no longer listed on my selling/servicing dealer's (Central Cadillac in Cleveland) website. Whoever it is should know that I cared for the car very well, and I hope they do too. They also got free brand new 2-piece rotors and my S2T paddles, the latter of which I forgot to remove when I traded....guess I was too excited about rowing the gears myself in my Beastwagon.

cts-v ls6
03-08-13, 02:29 PM
My 2010 V2 6-sp manual has 85k miles. It's had the shifter replaced, the complete rear end replaced, and as of last week, the blower replaced, all under warranty. I've also had to pay to have 2 of the 3 pulley/bearing combos on the serpentine belt replaced. Other than that, it's been great. It's sure a blast to drive.

Jack

neuronbob
03-08-13, 03:24 PM
^^^^
What happened to the shifter that it had to be replaced?

6MT owners like me want to know....

baabootoo
03-08-13, 04:17 PM
My 2010 V2 6-sp manual has 85k miles. It's had the shifter replaced, the complete rear end replaced, and as of last week, the blower replaced, all under warranty. I've also had to pay to have 2 of the 3 pulley/bearing combos on the serpentine belt replaced. Other than that, it's been great. It's sure a blast to drive.

Jack

85 thousand miles?

Tro Budden
03-10-13, 12:56 PM
Im about to push the 100,km mark and thats while driving in a canadian winter, -35c startups[block heater] and i drive her pretty hard and ive had nothing but the supercharger isolater changed and a new batterey. The ultraview creaks only when i drive into my driveway [i have to step onto the ramp one wheel at a time]. And the rear groans a bit now, im gona get a diff fluid change.

100000km 09 sedan , manual, no problems what so ever. this car is god !