: Magnetic suspension: Why no indicator light?

Xaqtly
03-23-12, 01:42 PM
I love the MR shocks in the V, but it's pretty annoying that there is no indicator light somewhere to tell you which mode they're in. I know they default to Touring when you start the car, but I switch it to Sport for surface streets, turns, onramps, off ramps etc. Then I'll be on the freeway and realize it's still in Sport and switch it back to Touring, or sometimes I'll forget to change it back. And then later in my commute I'll forget if I did that or not, hit the button and it goes to Touring when I wanted it in Sport.

The system works fine, I just want some kind of indicator to tell me which mode it's in at any given time. Even if the switch lit up for sport mode and turned off for touring mode, that would be fine.

Captain McFunk
03-23-12, 02:01 PM
honestly, there is (for 99% of drivers) no difference between the two according to lap times, drag times, etc.

baabootoo
03-23-12, 07:43 PM
Doesn't it show when you switch them?

bbang
03-23-12, 07:49 PM
can't you tell when you are in sport mode??? I can just by the feel of the ride and responsiveness.

M5eater
03-23-12, 08:35 PM
honestly, there is (for 99% of drivers) no difference between the two according to lap times, drag times, etc.

+1
all sport mode does from what I have figured is make it ride worse, its more of a 'that must do something' button rather than a 'it's a good idea to use that if I don't want to be eating cones' button.

thebigjimsho
03-23-12, 09:32 PM
Umm, maybe your times won't reflect much of a difference on the track, but I'd much rather be in Sport than Tour when I'm running around VIR. The firmer ride instilled confidence...

----------

That being said, I am always in Tour on the streets...

GMX322V S/C
03-23-12, 09:37 PM
I pretty much only use Sport mode on the street when I've got 3 or 4 passengers with luggage. Lowered on D3 Sport Springs.

neuronbob
03-23-12, 10:46 PM
I'm always in Sport Mode, it's part of my pre-flight/drive checklist when I start up the V. I definitely notice the difference and I personally like the firmer ride. It's the one thing that's kept me from buying springs.

Mystical_Ice
03-24-12, 01:01 AM
I love the MR shocks in the V, but it's pretty annoying that there is no indicator light somewhere to tell you which mode they're in. I know they default to Touring when you start the car, but I switch it to Sport for surface streets, turns, onramps, off ramps etc. Then I'll be on the freeway and realize it's still in Sport and switch it back to Touring, or sometimes I'll forget to change it back. And then later in my commute I'll forget if I did that or not, hit the button and it goes to Touring when I wanted it in Sport.

The system works fine, I just want some kind of indicator to tell me which mode it's in at any given time. Even if the switch lit up for sport mode and turned off for touring mode, that would be fine.
No offense intended by this, but if you can't tell which mode the car's in, do you really need an indicator light somewhere??????

Kluch
03-24-12, 03:56 AM
No offense intended by this, but if you can't tell which mode the car's in, do you really need an indicator light somewhere??????

Agreed. Just set it and forget it.

FLTRI
03-24-12, 04:32 AM
I dunno guys, I agree with the OP...

We just did 1350 miles in 8 days and had a blast! One slight annoyance was going from freeway to twisty mountain road, and back again. I'd go haulin' ass into a turn and then wonder if I remembered set it to sport or not about half way through. Then I'd forget to go back to tour when things straightened out. I'd remember about the time I started to wonder why the expansion joints felt bigger than they looked...

So, +1 for a light.

Just sayin'...

neuronbob
03-24-12, 06:49 AM
I forgot to mention, it's MORE annoying to me that the car doesn't remember which mode I like. I have to reset the suspension to Sport every time I get in.....thus the pre-flight check I mentioned.

TTuned
03-24-12, 10:57 AM
I was looking for a gas light, or a ding like BMW. Something turning red. "low fuel" on the LCD is what I notice eventually.
Or how about a HUD! Mph builds up quick! Things happen fast in the V!

Thrill6
03-24-12, 12:59 PM
I was looking for a gas light, or a ding like BMW. Something turning red. "low fuel" on the LCD is what I notice eventually.
Or how about a HUD! Mph builds up quick! Things happen fast in the V!

I'm working on putting a HUD in my V. See my thread here (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/241544-hud-cts-v.html)

thebigjimsho
03-24-12, 01:40 PM
I already have one. My EVO with Torque.

Anyway, all I need is to hit the button and look at the DIC. Not a big deal to me...

Xaqtly
03-25-12, 12:26 AM

Yes I do. On smooth pavement, just cruising in a straight line, you can't tell which mode it's in. I like to switch modes for different driving conditions (which I'm assuming is the intended purpose of being able to switch modes in the first place, right?), and usually I'm concentrating on driving, not remembering which mode I left the suspension in. An indicator light would solve that problem.

It's not that having to hit the button twice is a "big deal", it's that an indicator light makes sense for a system that has two different modes. There are a lot of other systems in the car that have an indicator light for dual mode systems, like the A/C button, the parking brake, Auto for climate control, traction control (3 modes for that one), cruise control, passenger climate control, etc. Why not for the shock settings, especially when you consider that the MR suspension is one of the car's party pieces?

I am an enthusiastic driver, I absolutely love driving. I switch shock modes pretty often, based on what kind of driving I'm doing. An indicator light would be nice, that's all I'm saying. I'm one of the people who would find it very helpful to know at a glance which mode the shocks are set to.

SoCalCTSV
03-25-12, 12:31 AM
I forgot to mention, it's MORE annoying to me that the car doesn't remember which mode I like. I have to reset the suspension to Sport every time I get in.....thus the pre-flight check I mentioned.

On my 99 Cobra, someone came up with a replacement switch that reversed it. It defaulted to sport mode all the time, unless you pressed the button.

thebigjimsho
03-25-12, 02:47 AM
I still don't think it to be a big deal. I guess Cadillac engineers didn't think so either...