: 2008 Escalade electrical issue - clock doesn't keep time, etc.

smartodam
03-23-12, 10:08 AM
I have a 2008 Escalade and I love it. My problem is that I have an electrical issue of some sort and the local dealer cannot seem to figure it out. I figured I would post it here in hopes that someone else is aware of the issue and fix. The digital clock on the radio loses 8 minutes per month. At 8 days into the month it will be about 2 minutes slow, 4 minutes at 15 days, etc. until the end of the month at 8 minutes slow. I reset the clock and the same thing happens. If I leave it for 2 months, it is 16 minutes slow. Goofy issue but not a huge deal. My big deal is that it tells me there is a greater electrical issue in the vehicle. Every few months, the vehicle has a dead moment when I try to start it and then the clock resets to Jan 1, 2005 at 12:00. I left it at the airport for 4 days once and something killed my battery. There is an electric system issue somewhere.
The dealer has changed the entire radio out twice, the sensors on the rear seat warmers, all the primary cables from the battery and the battery itself. Still, yesterday, on my drive to work, the radio shut off and blacked out for about 8 sec. while driving down the interstate. Not a huge issue in itself, but I still have an electrical system issue. The dealer seems to be stumped. I pray that someone else in this forum has been through this and knows what is going on. Thank you for taking the time to read this and give it some thought. - Steve

K9Caddy
03-23-12, 08:14 PM
Most electrical issues on these trucks are due to the stock battery and the battery cables. I'm talking about the terminals coming loose overtime on the battery, due to bad design. Bad and faulty battery connections overtime, can cause some severe issues down the road, causing the computer(ECM) to go into a frenzy. Most of these problems were cured or "band-aided" by adding a second battery. Check out the 'Dual Battery' sticky up at the top of the page.

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-27-12, 11:31 AM
I'm glad you love your Escalade, Steve! I can see how this persistant clock issue could be frustrating, so I hope the sticky thread K9Caddy mentioned (above) helps in your search. If you and your dealership continue to have questions, please feel free to contact me anytime (my email is Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com), and I'm happy to assist where I can.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

48Dodge
03-27-12, 02:12 PM
I had a weird issue with my '02 Tahoe clock where it would just randomly reset to 12:00 on startup. Sometimes it would only be a week between occurrences and other times 6 months or so. Battery was always strong and well connected with a strong start. I understand it happening when the battery is rundown. Never did figure out the cause, but it always had me scratching my head when it occurred.

WaterKing
03-27-12, 05:34 PM
Take your underhood fuze box out by releasing and lifting the grey arms....make sure it is debris free underneath. spray with contact cleaner both on the bottom of the fuze box and the plugs. Reinstall making sure to fully seat the fuze box. Sometimes it is easier (particularly if this is your first time) to remove the corner brace first so access and alignment of the grey handles is easier. Check that everything works. A Clock that is consistently wrong by the same amount is usually the clock itself or a less than 10v power to the clock due to a bad connection or partial short. None of this costs anything so worth a try and the contacts under the fuze box do get dirty/slightly spread which causes really unusual and intermittent problems.

Playdrv4me
03-30-12, 03:28 AM
Take your underhood fuze box out by releasing and lifting the grey arms....make sure it is debris free underneath. spray with contact cleaner both on the bottom of the fuze box and the plugs. Reinstall making sure to fully seat the fuze box. Sometimes it is easier (particularly if this is your first time) to remove the corner brace first so access and alignment of the grey handles is easier. Check that everything works. A Clock that is consistently wrong by the same amount is usually the clock itself or a less than 10v power to the clock due to a bad connection or partial short. None of this costs anything so worth a try and the contacts under the fuze box do get dirty/slightly spread which causes really unusual and intermittent problems.

Did you ever figure out the parasitic drain on that '08 of yours?

WaterKing
04-05-12, 11:21 PM
Still there but it was on the 07, traded the 08 for a 2011 CTS V Coupe, and then traded that for a 2012 Volt...couldn't be happier. Haven't had any time to work on 07...Need to find an 2007 EXT and 2009 EXT in a wrecking yard that I can cannibalize. GM wants too much for the Harnesses under the fuze box..and to be safe both the harnesses and the box itself (definitely) needs replacement...Since it is useable as is, it will have to wait until family crisis's and property issues are resolved. After four emails to Cadillac advisors and customer service requesting to know what event the BCM checks at 11.? min after shutdown I am resigned that they don't intend to answer or reply. Rarely even have time to visit this forum anymore..but thanks for asking.

MrHolland
04-05-12, 11:28 PM
You traded a CTS-V for a Volt and couldn't be happier?? I don't understand!