: Group Buy Opportunity: Extreme Composites Hood

FuzzyLogic
03-23-12, 01:27 AM
Alex (kl2onik on the LS1Tech forums) recently contacted Extreme Composites to see if they'll give us a group discount on their CTS-V hood (see pictures below). They just responded back, offering a $100 discount if we get 4 people and a $150 discount if we get 8 people to sign up. The hoods normally cost $750 without vents and $900 with vents and rain trays. It only comes primed, so you'll need to have it professionally painted.

If you're interested in purchasing one in the next few days, either post your intentions here (http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-classifieds/1528454-wtb-extreme-comp-hood-new-post.html), or drop me a line. This is an awesome deal.

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr148/indy-v/BobsCTS-V-124.jpg

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr148/indy-v/BobsCTS-V-122.jpg

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr148/indy-v/BobsCTS-V-127.jpg

jweymar
03-23-12, 02:32 AM
Whats the weight?

Tackelbarry
03-23-12, 08:56 AM
I am definately interested in one with the vents and rain trays if we can get the (8) person discount. I have a couple of questions.
1. Will my windshield washer sprayers work in this hood or spray to high?
2. Where do the rain trays on the vented hood channel the rain?
3. What is the warranty on the hood?
4. Is the discounted price quoted, delivered?
Thanks for letting us know about this opportunity.

Ny's Caddy
03-23-12, 12:03 PM
I second all the same Questions.. and ad one more is there a side profile pic ?
I am definately interested in one with the vents and rain trays if we can get the (8) person discount. I have a couple of questions.

FuzzyLogic
03-23-12, 12:46 PM
I don't have most of that information. The only thing that I know is that this fiberglass hood is heavier than the stock aluminum hood, and that this guy opted to leave the sprayers off. Personally, I'm planning on trying to relocate them to the underside of the hood. Shipping costs are not included. If I have time this weekend, I might shoot Extreme Composites an email with your questions and report back.

There are side views. I'm surprised you didn't follow the image URL back to the owner's Photobucket album.

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr148/indy-v/

tweeter81
03-24-12, 03:33 PM
These are cool hoods, but part of the reason they are so cheap is because they are heavier than stock (previously stated) and as far as I know, they won't even give you the option to have the washer nozzle holes drilled out. (that's how it was when I was shopping for hoods)

So you will have to give your brand new hood to your bodyshop guy and hope he doesn't screw up the nozzle holes...

Also, I highly doubt there is any sort of warranty for these hoods. A company isn't going to uphold a warranty on them when they have no control over what the bodyshop does to it.

FuzzyLogic
03-26-12, 07:46 PM
April 15 is the deadline. If you're interested, give me a yell or hit up kl2onik on the LS1Tech forums. We have 4 people right now, and if we get 4 more people, we'll all get $150 off!

Tackelbarry
03-27-12, 05:31 PM

I sent an e-mail to Mr. Cox at Extreme Composites a few minutes ago asking the above questions. Hopefully, this will help us get the people we need for the 8 person discount.
Fuzzylogic, thanks for heading this up.

06BlackV
03-27-12, 06:00 PM
Im definitely considering, whats the cost??

06BlackV
03-27-12, 06:01 PM
Scratch that ^ i didnt read the fulll post up top, i jumped straight to the pics .. :bouncy:

FuzzyLogic
03-27-12, 06:20 PM
Btw, April 15th is the deadline.

Pho_phizzat
03-27-12, 06:29 PM
That is awesome.

Tackelbarry
03-27-12, 07:14 PM
Hopefully, we will have some answers tommorrow. I hope so because I really want the vented hood with the rain trays. The female rep. that I talked with today at Extreme Composites told me the hardest part would be coordinating the ordering and having everyone that commits verbally to call in and place the order. Apparently, they tried this at some point in the past and only one or two of the people placed the order, which put Extreme Composites in an awkward position. Hopefully, this will work out!

dac675
03-28-12, 08:41 AM
May be interested as well. Please keep us informed.

Tackelbarry
03-28-12, 12:14 PM
I received a response from Mr. Cox of Extreme Composites. My questions and his answers are posted below. I hope this is helpful.

Mr. Cox,
> I have been informed throught the CTS-V Forum that you have offered a
> group buy price on your Extreme Composites CTS-V hood if there are either
> (4)= $100.00 discount or (8)= $150.00 discount for confirmed buyers. I
> spoke with the, very personable, female that answers your business phone
> and she asked me to send you an e-mail with my questions.
> I am interested the vented hood with rain trays. My questions are:
> 1) Will I be able to install my windshield wiper sprayers on the hood and
> not have them spray to high on the windshield?
> 2) With the open vents, where do the rain trays divert the rain? ie. Does
> the engine get wet?
> 3) What is the warranty?
> 4) How much does the hood weigh? Will I need to buy heavier hood supports
> or pistons that hold the hood up in the open position?

Scott,
To answer your questions,
1. yes you can install your sprayers. They will spray slightly higher, or you can buy sprayers to go on the wiper arms.
2. The rain trays catch the water and route it into the support ribs on the hood and from their, they drain out to the very front of the hood. The engine should stay as dry as it ever was.
3. We warranty the hood to fit and be acceptable to you when you receive it. So far we have not had any problems from any of the CTS hoods we have sold. With the internet like it is, we can not afford to put out a poor product
4. The hood weighs slightly more than stock, but the supports hold it up without a problem.

thebigjimsho
03-28-12, 12:16 PM
Nice, quick response...

Tackelbarry
03-28-12, 09:23 PM
Gentlemen,
I received my shipping quote from Mona today and she also mentioned that I was the only person that had called Extreme Composites about the group buy. Apparently, this has happened to them in the past. People talk big and do not follow through. If you want to be in on the group buy, you need to call them and give them your name and the address of the body shop or business that will receive your hood. Mona told me that if I would have it sent to a business or body shop the shipping would be much cheaper. Apparently, it is the shipping carriers policy. She also asked me to inspect the box and packaging carefully and if there was any damage to refuse the delivery. Again, she said that it is much easier to reslove on both Extreme Composites and our end by following this procedure. With the quick response from Mr. Cox, regarding my questions, and the customer service that has already been provided, during this process, I am very impressed.
We have the information and the answers to the questions that I e-mailed to Mr. Cox. Eight (8)people gives everyone a $150.00 discount. Just to give you an idea, my shipping quote from Texas to N.C. is $134.00.
It's time to man up or bug out. Who's in?

FuzzyLogic
03-29-12, 06:18 AM
Gentlemen,
I received my shipping quote from Mona today and she also mentioned that I was the only person that had called Extreme Composites about the group buy. Apparently, this has happened to them in the past. People talk big and do not follow through. If you want to be in on the group buy, you need to call them and give them your name and the address of the body shop or business that will receive your hood. Mona told me that if I would have it sent to a business or body shop the shipping would be much cheaper. Apparently, it is the shipping carriers policy. She also asked me to inspect the box and packaging carefully and if there was any damage to refuse the delivery. Again, she said that it is much easier to reslove on both Extreme Composites and our end by following this procedure. With the quick response from Mr. Cox, regarding my questions, and the customer service that has already been provided, during this process, I am very impressed.
We have the information and the answers to the questions that I e-mailed to Mr. Cox. Eight (8)people gives everyone a $150.00 discount. Just to give you an idea, my shipping quote from Texas to N.C. is $134.00.
It's time to man up or bug out. Who's in?

You're not in charge here.

The majority of the people interested are on the LS1Tech forum, and have been in consistent contact with Extreme Composites via email, which has never been considered unacceptable up to this point. Our ECD here is April 15th, meaning that either myself or kl2onik will be writing up a post and/or PMing interested members regarding ordering information and reinforcing the deadline sometime next week.

I handled the Forgestar deal (ending on the 31st, by the way), and I'm in the process of negotiating a deal on Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110s with Tire Rack. Extreme Composites has nothing to be worried about.

Tackelbarry
03-29-12, 09:28 AM
You're not in charge here.
You are right, the owner of the site and the moderators are.

According to Mona at Extreme Composites, NO ONE has taken charge and I was the only one that took it upon my self to call and speak with their company personally. After reading your post about the group buy, I posted some questions regarding the product. You said you would try to e-mail the questions, if you had time. Since there were no answers posted to my questions, I called Extreme Composites and followed Mona's instructions and e-mailed my questions to Mr. Cox.

The majority of the people interested are on the LS1Tech forum, and have been in consistent contact with Extreme Composites via email, which has never been considered unacceptable up to this point.
She, Mona, also told me that she had only received ONE e-mail in the past asking about the group buy and not had any follow-up since. Maybe there was an e-mail that did not get passed on to her. Regardless, I am only interested in acquiring information and passing it along to others so this deal can happen. Also, I have read the posts on the thread at LS1Tech formum so I know who has posted and said they are interested.
Our ECD here is April 15th, meaning that either myself or kl2onik will be writing up a post and/or PMing interested members regarding ordering information and reinforcing the deadline sometime next week.
As I relayed earlier, Extreme Concepts concern is making sure that everyone that commits as part of the purchase group follows through and calls in their order. I was just relaying "their" concern.

Extreme Composites has nothing to be worried about.
I am not the one you need to convince. I am just a potential customer.
As stated earlier, since you were the person that brought this opportunity to our attention and appeared to be heading it up, I asked the questions in post #3 and they were reiterated by another member in post #4. In post #5 you said you would check in to it if you had time. Since you apparently did not have time, I checked in to it. If my actions offended you or stepped on your toes, please accept my appology as that was not my intent.
I see this and any other group that I interact with as a "team" that tries to work together, share information, and learn from each other. Again, if I acted inappropriately, my appologies.

FuzzyLogic
03-29-12, 09:47 AM
The only problem here is that if you jump the gun or cause other people to jump ahead of time, we may not get the discount we want. I'm going to have to have a potentially nasty conversation with her regarding their pricing, and I'll talk to her about their website and why people probably backed out in the past.

Tackelbarry
03-29-12, 09:54 AM
The only problem here is that if you jump the gun or cause other people to jump ahead of time, we may not get the discount we want. I'm going to have to have a potentially nasty conversation with her regarding their pricing, and I'll talk to her about their website and why people probably backed out in the past.

Thanks for the reply. As I said, I was only looking for clarification to a few questions. If we ever meet in person, remind me to buy you dinner and a drink for heading this up.

06BlackV
04-03-12, 09:31 PM
How many people have confirmed their purchase for this hood?

FuzzyLogic
04-03-12, 09:36 PM
How many people have confirmed their purchase for this hood?

Let me check. I need to call Extreme Composites anyway. If you look at their pricing for other hoods, it looks like they've instituted a several hundred dollar Cadillac tax that I want to slam them on. It's hard to do that without having 6-10 interested buyers as leverage. I'm going to PM everyone on both forums that have expressed interest. When I get their responses, I'll tally it up and give Extreme Composites' owner a call.

06BlackV
04-03-12, 10:03 PM
Let me check. I need to call Extreme Composites anyway. If you look at their pricing for other hoods, it looks like they've instituted a several hundred dollar Cadillac tax that I want to slam them on. It's hard to do that without having 6-10 interested buyers as leverage. I'm going to PM everyone on both forums that have expressed interest. When I get their responses, I'll tally it up and give Extreme Composites' owner a call.

Im one of those interested , but i want to save that 100-150$ , thanks for the quick reply fuzzy.

FuzzyLogic
04-04-12, 12:19 AM
Based on my latest informal count, we have 27 interested parties:

LS1Tech Forums
FuzzyLog1c - Definite VENTS
kl2onik - Definite VENTS
NeverSatisfied02 - Definite NO VENTS
nfl2008 - Possible. Needs follow-up to be certain either way.
punishmentcycle - Depends on the discount price.
JayBirdWs6 - Depends on the discount price.
branland - Definite VENTS
wcryan - Commented "Looks good" - maybe?
itsslow98 - OUT. Sold his V 2 months ago.
06blackonblackctsv - Wants to know what shipping will be (itsslow98 replied "$150", ITSAV replied "$147")
veee8 - Possible. Needs follow-up to be certain either way.
big_reg - Depends on the discount price.
SSmokd_U - OUT. Possible budgetary issues for mods right now.
jcollege - Commented "Looks good" - maybe?
DenaliXTC - Definite VENTS
94LT1TA6spd - Commented "Looks good" - maybe?
9t8z28 - Wants to know if we can get it without vents.
lollygagger8 - Commented "Looks good" - maybe?
toomanytoyz - Possible. Needs follow-up to be certain either way.
AAIIIC - Possible. Needs follow-up to be certain either way.
54inches - Commented "Looks good" - maybe?
psychobillycaddy - Definite NO VENTS

Cadillac Forums
jweymar - Wants to know what the weight is.
Tackelbarry - Definite VENTS if we get 8 people.
NY's Caddy - Possible. Needs follow-up to be certain either way.
Tweeter81 - Possible. Needs follow-up to be certain either way.
06BlackV - Possible. Needs follow-up to be certain either way.
Pho_Phizzat - Commented "looks good" - maybe?
dac675 - Possible. Needs follow-up to be certain either way.
thebigjimsho - Possible. Needs follow-up to be certain either way.

I sent everyone that I could a PM, but a few of you aren't going to get one because your inboxes are full or you're blocking all private messages (shame on you!). If you didn't get a PM, and you're definitely in at the $100 discount, let me know. Don't give me an affirmative if you aren't 100% sure whether you're in or out for the April 15th target date. It makes us look really, really bad if we say we have X people and some of those people don't show up.

I'm going to call Extreme Composites tomorrow and try to hammer out the details.

Noriega7
04-04-12, 03:30 PM
I have one of these hoods but who I got the car did not have the lift supports or prop rod. Is it safe to use struts or do I risk cracking the hood?

FuzzyLogic
04-04-12, 07:31 PM
Update: Called at 2:30 PM. No answer. Left a message, and will call again tomorrow.

italianant02
04-04-12, 10:20 PM
damn i just bought a set of v12s

tweeter81
04-04-12, 10:31 PM
I already have a Spectre Werkes Heat Extractor Hood, so I'm not interested. But, if I didn't...I would be...lol!

jweymar
04-04-12, 11:53 PM
How much does the stock hood weigh, anybody know?

atdeneve
04-05-12, 03:17 AM
The stock hood is aluminum and, if I recall correctly, only weights about 20 pounds. A fiberglass hood will not be lighter.

This would be a purely aesthetic mod, unless you're getting vents, in which case, it will provide enhanced evacuation of the air built up under the hood (so long as the vents are not positioned up along the high pressure cowl-end of the hood).