: New V owner! Cruise control issue.

DoubleK81
03-22-12, 11:08 PM
Hey all, new V owner here from St. Louis. Just picked up a Stealth Grey 06.

Noticed today that my cruise control is not working. No light comes on at all. No CEL light on, no hanging idle to indicate the clutch switch issue. Checked for codes with a generic AutoZone scantool, no codes reported. TPMS reports for all 4 correctly. I have checked the 2 fuses associated with the CC, and both are fine.

Am I missing something? I've searched and think that I have tried everything. The car has a catback, and skip shift has been deleted ( whether via tune, resistor, or plug in I do not know)

Help would be appreciated, i'm leaving for South Florida tomorrow night and no CC may suck just a bit lol

darkman
03-22-12, 11:45 PM
It often takes a shop with a GM Tech II scanner to properly troubleshoot cruise control issues.

See attached.

Doctechx
03-23-12, 12:01 AM
I did not have hanging ideal even though my clutch pedal switch was bad. The vast majority of CC issues in the V are due to the CP switch. I have replaced twice.

odthetruth
03-23-12, 12:17 AM
Hey all, new V owner here from St. Louis. Just picked up a Stealth Grey 06.

Noticed today that my cruise control is not working. No light comes on at all. No CEL light on, no hanging idle to indicate the clutch switch issue. Checked for codes with a generic AutoZone scantool, no codes reported. TPMS reports for all 4 correctly. I have checked the 2 fuses associated with the CC, and both are fine.

Am I missing something? I've searched and think that I have tried everything. The car has a catback, and skip shift has been deleted ( whether via tune, resistor, or plug in I do not know)

Help would be appreciated, i'm leaving for South Florida tomorrow night and no CC may suck just a bit lol

I had cruise control issues... specifically where it wouldn't turn on, and signaling left would turn on the highbeams on the stalk.
I bought a new piece from Rippy here on the forums for something a bit under $50, and installed it. No problems since.

I still have my old piece, so if you are a bit of an electrician and would rather trouble shoot the part, I could send it to ya for just shipping. Otherwise, I'd talk with Rippy to get another CC/highbeam stalk part. (Assuming all fuses are OK, etc)

mstrjon32
03-23-12, 06:05 AM
My cruise stopped working last summer, about mid-summer. Around the same time I noticed that the engine speed was kind of hanging during shifts. But, it's the kind of thing you'd only notice if you had driven the car before it became a "problem." I'm the type of guy who waits forever to fix problems, so I ignored both issues for a few more months until one day sitting in traffic, the CEL came on. Scanned the code and it was CPS. Put in a new CPS (took about 20 minutes) and everything was back to normal.

I wouldn't even pay for a diagnostic service without trying a new CPS first. IIRC it's about $40 from Luke @ Lindsay and is easy to install, and if that's not the problem, it will be soon.

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-23-12, 11:48 AM
I'm sorry to hear you experienced this, DoubleK81!

Glad to see so much helpful feedback already (above), since you're leaving town soon. Please keep us updated on your progress and feel free to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you would like me to find a dealership near you on your trip.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

DoubleK81
03-23-12, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Clutch switch is definitely the issue. Ended up having to take the switch off to find out though. I have a buddy that works at a local Caddy dealership who Tech2'd the car and no codes were present. Got home today and took the switch off, and sure enough, the springs are all bound up preventing the switch from sliding all the way out and reporting to the ECM.

No local dealerships that were open by that time had a CPS in stock, so I pulled the jumper trick and all is well for now. Temporary fix until I get back in town next week. May end up picking up a new one while down there though, my grandfather has been buying Caddys for the last 15 years at the same dealership, and its a 10min fix so no biggie.

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-26-12, 04:54 PM
Thanks very much for the update! Sounds like you've had a busy couple of days, so I hope the South Florida trip is going well. If you get a chance, please let us know what happens with the repairs when you get back into town.

Best,

Katie

repenttokyo
03-26-12, 05:34 PM
changing the CPS is absolutely the worst job I have ever done on the car. Especially since it didn't fix my cruise problem, making me thing I damaged the sensor in my fumbling. Will try a new censor this summer but will pay someone else any amount of money to put it in for me :p

mstrjon32
03-27-12, 03:55 AM
changing the CPS is absolutely the worst job I have ever done on the car. Especially since it didn't fix my cruise problem, making me thing I damaged the sensor in my fumbling. Will try a new censor this summer but will pay someone else any amount of money to put it in for me :p

*Any* amount? Because it was the easiest job I've ever done. Whole operation took less than 20 minutes. Maybe it's my small, girlish hands.

repenttokyo
03-27-12, 12:55 PM
*Any* amount? Because it was the easiest job I've ever done. Whole operation took less than 20 minutes. Maybe it's my small, girlish hands.

most horrible job ever when I did mine! No space to see anything and work at the same time :(

Pho_phizzat
03-27-12, 06:32 PM
wow that sounds like a pita

darkman
03-29-12, 08:39 PM

For what it is worth, it is unlikely that you broke the sensor since the primary function of the clutch position switch is to prevent the car from starting unless the clutch pedal is depressed.

repenttokyo
04-02-12, 07:15 PM
For what it is worth, it is unlikely that you broke the sensor since the primary function of the clutch position switch is to prevent the car from starting unless the clutch pedal is depressed.

Well, it was non-functional prior to me trying to replace it, and I've had CPS codes the entire time I've owned the car with no starting issues - just no cruise control :(

darkman
04-02-12, 08:35 PM
Well, it was non-functional prior to me trying to replace it, and I've had CPS codes the entire time I've owned the car with no starting issues - just no cruise control :(

Okay, I stand corrected, and still somewhat confused.

In reviewing the Service Manual I cannot find anything to that documents it, but apparently when the clutch position switch "fails" it does so in the "open" condition. If this is correct, a failed clutch position switch will not prevent the car from starting but will block the cruise control. It also means, that if the clutch position switch fails, you presumably could start the car without depressing the clutch pedal, which could be a safety issue - you would however have Check Engine Light warning.

The OP in this thread reported no such CEL however.

mstrjon32
04-03-12, 03:47 AM
Maybe I'm talking out of my ass, but I thought that there were two sensors inside the CPS, one to detect if it's fully depressed (allow crank) and another to determine how far it's pressed? I feel like I read that somewhere, and if true, it would follow that you'd still need to press it to start the car, but might also not have cruise control.

WesH8398
05-21-12, 01:12 PM
Hey guys. I'm having similar issues with my CC. Thankfully I came across this thread and a few others which have helped. I've yet to find instructions on how to replace the CPS though (mainly, where it's located)... Could anyone direct me?
Also, just for a little further info for the next guy who comes across this thread looking for help: My cruise control issue began well over a year ago, and started out as a very intermittent problem. Every once in a while the CC wouldn't engage, but a quick re-shift (taking it out of gear, then putting it back in) would remedy the problem. Maybe it's just coincidence, but we had a very warm weekend (85+ degrees) and that's when my CC seems to have completely stopped engaging, regardless of re-shifts, etc.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-22-12, 11:25 AM
Hey guys. I'm having similar issues with my CC. Thankfully I came across this thread and a few others which have helped. I've yet to find instructions on how to replace the CPS though (mainly, where it's located)... Could anyone direct me?
Also, just for a little further info for the next guy who comes across this thread looking for help: My cruise control issue began well over a year ago, and started out as a very intermittent problem. Every once in a while the CC wouldn't engage, but a quick re-shift (taking it out of gear, then putting it back in) would remedy the problem. Maybe it's just coincidence, but we had a very warm weekend (85+ degrees) and that's when my CC seems to have completely stopped engaging, regardless of re-shifts, etc.

I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing this as well, WesH8398! Have you consulted with your dealership yet regarding this concern? GM of Canada may also be a helpful resource for you (800-263-3777, Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST).

Thank you for posting your additional findings for the benefit of the community!

Katie

PISNUOFF
05-22-12, 01:36 PM
Hi Wes, push the OnStar button and they will direct you to the nearest dealer where they will charge you $85/hr to tell you they can't find the issue because it's intermittent. Then you can pick it up with $150 worth of rubber burned off your tires and 3 door dings.

The switch is located on the shaft at the top of the clutch pedal where the master cylinder attaches to it.

JFensty
05-22-12, 01:48 PM
Then you can pick it up with $150 worth of rubber burned off your tires.

Is this from experience?