: Overheating

Rustbucket350
03-22-12, 04:05 PM
My 96 Eldorado has 45,000 miles on it, and it runs really hot. If I'm moving, the temperature stays around the middle of the gauge. If I'm idling though, the temperature continues to rise. I can't help but think its a head gasket leak, but there aren't any combustion gases in the coolant. It does foul the oxygen sensors and I noticed a small amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust the other day. I know I should probably check out the radiator, water pump, and thermostat, but is there anything else I should check?

Faded Crest
03-22-12, 04:12 PM
Check the purge line for obstruction. Seems very unlikely you have a head gasket problem with that mileage. How does the temp gauge it act after WOT?

Aztec ETC ECS
03-23-12, 12:33 AM
With that description, could be fan problem, too.

maeng9981
03-23-12, 01:19 AM
Check the cooling fans to see if they are running at proper operating conditions. The fans are supposed to run slow at ~224 and run fast at ~236. They turn off when the temp goes down to ~213. The fans won't run when the car is traveling faster than ~45mph.

Pull out the fuses and relays for cooling fans and clean the contacts if needed.

Submariner409
03-24-12, 11:32 AM
If I'm idling though, the temperature continues to rise.

If you have no A/C or DEFROST function set in the HVAC, cooling fans do not run until 224 degrees. In that case, the first tick past 12:00 would be perfectly normal.

Click on my username, open my profile. Two albums in the left column, 6 pages of stuff - one or two of temp gauges and annotations. Your gauge is the older 140 degree sweep type, but the tick marks represent almost exactly the same temps as the 180 degree sweep later gauges. The thermostat and fan notes are the same.

A bit of white vapor from the exhaust pipes is perfectly normal on a cool or humid morning.