: '78 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Questions

lion
11-18-04, 06:33 PM
I'm thinking about buying a '78 Fleetwood this weekend. I haven't seen it yet but the seller says it has 71K original miles, is clean with minor rust damage. It has a 425 engine. It needs a new water pump, thermostat and a valve cover gasket. These parts are relatively cheap. The price is a steal, but I don't know what other problems are common with this model. Typical maintenance costs? Tune-up costs? Reliability? Can anybody offer some assistance? Appreciate it.

barge master
11-18-04, 09:17 PM
Just the usual old car stuff. The thing should run forever with proper care. Just watch for frame rot, even if the body looks good. Esp. in front of the rear wheels. :welcome:

Insomniac
11-18-04, 10:44 PM
i too am looking for a new caddy. but every one i go to look at with a discription similer to that i find that it's in bad shape. the rag top would be ripped to up, the seats would be torn, the dash would be crashed, the bumpers would be falling of, the paint would be bad, ect. you'll find that, well, it's all original and really old. don't take my word for it though, it really may be a "steal".

davesdeville
11-18-04, 11:51 PM
71k means there's a good chance that's 171k. Don't worry about it though, if the engine goes just swap in a 500. :halo:

lion
11-19-04, 09:34 AM
Yeah, I was kind of worried that it might be 171K miles. Appreciate the feeback everyone. I'm going to look at the car tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens.