: A rusty line leaking under the hood

carguy16
11-18-04, 05:09 PM
I was looking under my hood today, like usual, checking everything out. I just happened to get at a good angle, and noticed another rusty pipe I hadnt seen before. Except for the fact, this rusty pipe is LEAKING and there are WIRES touching it!!! :bighead: :dammit:

I have attached two pics, one is zoomed out, the other is zoomed in on it. I've opted not to drive the car today, I will be taking my mom's car. What is this, so I can replace it, this looks like a hazard, it could catch fire or leak oil(or what ever other fluid inside) and damage my engine.

If it were to catch fire, at this point it would be a total loss, as my insurance would not cover it. Can you tell me what it is? Im thinking about taking it to a reputable shop tommorow and have them look at it, and tell me what it is.

It's no wonder I ask so many questions, I cant wait for a person to say, "COnsidering a '93-96 FWB", its going to be a novel on what to check for, advice, etc...This has been quite the learning experience for me. :drinker

RBraczyk
11-18-04, 09:31 PM
Dude, you need to stop worrying about everything under your hood. That is normal. Please chill out. http://adepssimius.is-a-geek.com:81/rob/Engine%20compartment.JPG

davesdeville
11-18-04, 10:48 PM
So replace it.

carguy16
11-18-04, 11:37 PM
uhh, surface rust is normal, but its apparent it has rusted through and its starting to leak. I dont know what it is, but i do plan on replacing it.

I've found other piping thats rusted, but this is rusted and leaking, the last thing i want is for it to splurge out everywere.

ocjmakaveli
11-19-04, 05:06 AM
first i doubt that actual pipe is leaking because if it was leaking engine oil you'd lose it FAAAAST so fast you might only get one block and your engine light would come on or worse but anyways

it seems as if though that pipe may or may not be rusted through but I can tell your leakage has to be above it and you are only seeing the oil that is being leaked onto the pipe itself most likely valve covers but check it well

DopeStar 156
11-19-04, 02:30 PM
Don't fear a little rust. I know, you're like me, I feel a vibration or hear a noise and go insane, it's normal. Look at it this way, if you spend all your time worrying about the car you won't enjoy the ownership experience. Who likes driving a car they're constantly worried about? Here's some advice, get a rag and wipe the pipe clean then come back in like 5-10 minutes. If that pipe is leaking anything, and leaking it as bad as you believe it is, you'll notice. The wires also are insulated, so you don't have to worry about them. Just relax, check it out, and draw a conclusion from there. If it turns out that the pipe is indeed leaking at a rapid pace by all means make an appointment with your mechanic and get it changed. Believe me, you don't wanna drive yourself insane looking for every little imperfection. Ignorence is bliss dude, don't worry so much and just enjoy the ride.

ocjmakaveli
11-19-04, 02:50 PM
Don't fear a little rust. I know, you're like me, I feel a vibration or hear a noise and go insane, it's normal. Look at it this way, if you spend all your time worrying about the car you won't enjoy the ownership experience. Who likes driving a car they're constantly worried about? Here's some advice, get a rag and wipe the pipe clean then come back in like 5-10 minutes. If that pipe is leaking anything, and leaking it as bad as you believe it is, you'll notice. The wires also are insulated, so you don't have to worry about them. Just relax, check it out, and draw a conclusion from there. If it turns out that the pipe is indeed leaking at a rapid pace by all means make an appointment with your mechanic and get it changed. Believe me, you don't wanna drive yourself insane looking for every little imperfection. Ignorence is bliss dude, don't worry so much and just enjoy the ride.

true sometimes just go with it and turn your stereo volume up instead and pretend its not there usually works too :welcome: still good though to care of your ride at least when its new so you can get it upto par with how it should be