: Look at what I'm getting...

BeelzeBob
11-18-04, 04:58 PM
Hello (http://www.golenengineservice.com/displayEngine2.cfm?EngineID=40)

Instead of doing that painting I was originally planning on, I'm doing this.. The chips from the hurricane are so small that you can bearly see them anyway. So, I'll leave the paintjob for later on. Especially since it's not nearly as expensive as I thought it would be.

Adam
11-18-04, 05:56 PM
damn. that is a nice looking engine. congratulations.

davesdeville
11-18-04, 06:06 PM
Nice. Just don't spray it with the KB hyper's in there.

BeelzeBob
11-18-04, 06:09 PM
So no spray with those, huh? Why? Weak? Bad history? How about turbo or supercharging in the future? I doubt I'll ever need any more speed than I get with this setup - but who knows? :p

lowscola
11-18-04, 06:10 PM
Hey Sal it's a beast but you may want to be careful with their specs, the hp-ft/lbs charts look like they were generated manually with MS Excel.

ShadowLvr400
11-18-04, 06:44 PM
Nice Sal. I'm actually eyeballing a 502 for my engine swap :)

GreyFox
11-18-04, 07:34 PM
Shadowlvr, look before you jump. I thought about that until I discovered there is no EGR on any 502. If you don't have to worry about satisfying any ecm sensors with EGR details, and you don't have to worry about emissions, rock and roll. But, if you do, you might want to stay with the Gen II small block. Make it an LT4 with juice.

davesdeville
11-18-04, 07:39 PM
The hypers are brittle. They have a bad reputation for failing under nitous and forced induction. There are plenty of people who think they're fine, but be careful. Personally I'd try to steer clear and go for forged.

barge master
11-18-04, 08:12 PM
That won't be your Grandpa's Caddy with that thing Sal. Unleash the dogs of war!

ShadowLvr400
11-18-04, 08:54 PM
FL has no emissions issues. So a 502 can be gotten away with. The other option I've been eyeballing is a forced induction 383 or 396 stroker. Would be forged internals of course. 375 horse and 440 torque isnt enough for my ego. :)

evilrussian
11-18-04, 08:55 PM
Thats what i'm talking about! Additional displacement is always good.

RBraczyk
11-18-04, 08:56 PM
WTF is with the Turbo/super/nitrous. Displacement, displacement, displacement. That engine will have balls naturally aspirated. Have fun and don't be nuts.

ShadowLvr400
11-18-04, 08:58 PM
Being nuts is part of the fun. My goal has grown to about 600 horses on an everyday driver. And, I want it to run smooth, not some fat lopey cam, and no power below 5000 rpms. I want massive torque from 2000 rpms up, and horsepower from hell. No more being moderate. :P

BeelzeBob
11-18-04, 09:03 PM
How much would it cost to put in forged pistons if I decide to go with forced induction in the future?

RBraczyk
11-18-04, 09:14 PM
Extra grand at least.

DaveSmed
11-18-04, 09:43 PM
It looks like its built when you order it. I'd inquire about it first. Now would be the time to do it for it to be most cost effective.

lux hauler
11-18-04, 09:49 PM
Sal,
Lingenfelter has a 383 that they do for the Impala SS......might want to check them out too. After all, they do advertise here. :p :)
Good forged pistons shouldn't cost any more than $5-600.

davesdeville
11-18-04, 10:57 PM
The KBs might hold up just fine. But who knows. I'd ask the people who build it how much it would be to change the KBs to forged. Or keep looking for a package with forged pistons already.

WTF is with the Turbo/super/nitrous. Displacement, displacement, displacement. That engine will have balls naturally aspirated. Have fun and don't be nuts.

Displacement is good, but power is king. However you make that power is up to you. On the street, nothing is cheating.

BeelzeBob
11-18-04, 11:27 PM
Tell me more about this engine from Lingenfelter. I can't find it at their site...

lux hauler
11-19-04, 05:11 AM
Actually, I did a google search and found it. It was a write-up about a complete package, suspension and all. They may not even offer it anymore.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=lingenfelter+383&btnG=Search

JAKE91
11-19-04, 07:15 AM
I WOULD JUST GO BUY A USED CORVETTE.('98-'01).

:rolleyes2

RBraczyk
11-19-04, 10:24 AM
^Impractical. You can fit 6+ in a fleetwood. I know the vette trunk is huge, but the Fleetwood is more practical.

HotRodSaint
11-19-04, 11:04 AM
^Impractical. You can fit 6+ in a fleetwood. I know the vette trunk is huge, but the Fleetwood is more practical.

And on this, we can agree! ;)

BeelzeBob
11-19-04, 11:34 AM
Ahhh.. Everybody's Vette is fast. I'm much more into Sleepers.. When I had a Vette, I could never, ever stop at a light without somebody wanting to race. It got really annoying. With a Fleetwood Brougham, I can choose if and when I want to race. :D AND, I'm extremely freakin' comfortable. :)

BeelzeBob
11-19-04, 03:56 PM
From what I'm hearing, the pistons that come with this setup can handle 8lbs of boost.. Any thoughts?

Insomniac
11-22-04, 08:56 PM
8 pounds of boost is good for a small turbo, but don't run any more boost. my brother did and he learned the hard way (new engine).

FASSTWOOD
11-22-04, 09:08 PM
That stroker is sweet! Just call Golen and ask Them to upgrade it to forged pistons It can't be that much more... Thats even if you need it. Are you gonna spray it or boost it?

FASSTWOOD
11-22-04, 09:18 PM
I just noticed somthing else. That cam doesn't look power adder friendly. You wanna have more lift on the exhaust side if your gonna use a power adder be it NOS, S/C, Turbo....

Revoh
11-23-04, 02:07 PM
I guess I'm the only one here that doesn't get it. I remember seeing posts from you not too long ago that said you didn't want to modify your Fleetwood at all. Now you want to take out the LT1 (which I consider to be the best part about these cars, and maybe one of the best engines ever), and putting in that high-priced hot rod mill to transform your car into a touchy, unreliable gas hog on which nothing will ever work quite right on and you'll be chasing little gremlins, vibrations, and failures until the day you can't stand it anymore and try to unload it. All of that to make your car worth half of what it might be worth now if you just make it nice. :confused:

It'll be neat if you get it all to work, but boy, howdy, I don't think I'd ever advise such a radical modification. Of course, my idea of what's fun doesn't always mesh with everyone else's. :)

davesdeville
11-23-04, 06:02 PM
What is your idea of fun anyway?

Revoh
11-23-04, 07:09 PM
What is your idea of fun anyway?
Cow tipping. Basket weaving. :drinker

Sal just seems like a good man to me. He can do whatever. I just hate to see a guy waste thousands of dollars on something that will offer a marginal return without really considering his options. ;)

davesdeville
11-25-04, 11:50 PM
I think your fears are a bit unfounded. It's a fairly mild 375hp, not some fire breathing nitromethane funny car engine.

I think a 500 would fit in there too since the chassis wass basically the same from 77-96, $4000 could get some substantial power in there..

ShadowLvr400
11-26-04, 09:28 AM
A 502 BB crate motor fits pretty well actually. The Impala boys have been doing that change for a while. We're mainly a stretched bubble. (10 inches longer)

davesdeville
11-26-04, 02:45 PM
502s usually run a bit more than $4000 though. I toyed around with the idea of a Cad 500 powered Fleetwood when I found one with a bad engine locally. I figure 4 grand could get an easy 400hp and over 530 ft.lbs, with money left over for a FI system.

Msilva954
11-26-04, 07:59 PM
Nice engine, but what exactly is the limit on the LT1 before forced induction??? I wouldnt think that 375hp is that hard to achieve from the LT1 power plant......

majax
11-26-04, 10:44 PM
congradulations! thats a sweet engine best wishes with it.

ShadowLvr400
11-27-04, 09:46 AM
The difference in degrees. Sal, I like your motor choice, but if you're going to change out a motor... Well, I'm a bit more extreme. ;) My plans for my Fleetwood. $8900 But, I have a friend who's a parts dealer, can prolly get it cheaper. :) http://www.gmpartsdepot.com/store/product1.aspx?SID=2&Product_ID=460&Category_ID=64

http://www.gmpartsdepot.com/store/images/12497323_large.jpg

Ram Jet 502, you either have one or you want one. With 502 horsepower at 5100 rpm and 565 ft-lbs of torque at 3200 rpm, the instantly throttle responsive Ram Jet 502 drives like no other big-block you've ever driven. With over 500 lb. of torque from 2200 to 5200 rpm the ram Jet 502 is a tire shredding monster.

Designed for ease of installation the Ram Jet 502 needs only 12V, ground, fuel feed and fuel return to run. Included are an instruction sheet, service manual and diagnostic tool for ease of installation and service. As with any GM Performance Parts Ram Jet engine, an in tank fuel pump is recommended to avoid possible vapor lock. See the instruction sheet for fuel pump recommendations. Also included is complete throttle linkage that accepts your production throttle cable and transmission cable. Includes pre-programmed MEFI 3 ECM and wiring harness.

The Ram Jet manifold stands eleven inches tall as measured from the front and rear "china wall" on the cylinder block. That''s just half an inch taller than a typical single plane high rise manifold, Holley carb and air cleaner combo.

ShadowLvr400
11-29-04, 01:47 AM
And noone telling me I'm out of my mind? I'm almost disappointed. No voices of reason to stop me.

HotRodSaint
11-29-04, 03:02 AM
And noone telling me I'm out of my mind? I'm almost disappointed. No voices of reason to stop me.

We won't talk you out of it.

We need a guinea pig, err, pioneer like you to show us how it's done! :thumbsup:

RBraczyk
11-29-04, 06:37 AM
Well I can tell you this, your going to need a new heavy duty tranny, and more than likely a new rear clip to handle all that power. Your going to need to drill and slot your front brakes, maybe bigger rotors and calipers to stop yourself. Your going to need new front springs to hold the weight of the engine, etc. Its going to take a lot of money.

ShadowLvr400
11-29-04, 09:28 AM
Have a tranny hunt going on already. As for the suspension, stealing some Impie SS performance parts. Rear end is a 3.42 posi for the crazy imp boys. It'll be bulky enough to take the power. The brakes will already be upgraded by the time I do this motor work. Going to probably convert to a Baer 4 wheel disc setup, with some meaty plates all around.

RBraczyk
11-29-04, 10:30 AM
That GM 8 bolt is going to take plenty of strain from that motor. Don't be suprised if you start shooting out parts.

lux hauler
11-29-04, 03:49 PM
Ram Jet 502, you either have one or you want one. With 502 horsepower at 5100 rpm and 565 ft-lbs of torque at 3200 rpm, the instantly throttle responsive Ram Jet 502 drives like no other big-block you've ever driven. With over 500 lb. of torque from 2200 to 5200 rpm the ram Jet 502 is a tire shredding monster.
I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of anything either but, you may want to check the power vs. cost of that 502 against that of a 500 Caddy. The same basic numbers at about half the cost.

ShadowLvr400
11-29-04, 11:00 PM
Lux: The caddy 500 didnt have that kind of power as I recall. Thought it peaked around 400 horse. Torque was up there though. If it could be done cheaper though, and more compact, (this ramjet's kinda tall, will likely mean a cowl hood, or cutting a hole in the hood) a caddy 500, blown to get the power I want could be nice. I did kinda want to do fuel injection vs carb though.

RB: Looking at some drivetrain parts, including making a switch to the bigger 4L80 built up version of the tranny. Has a company that can do that work for about $3200, including a computer controller for the tranny, letting me adjust how I want, ie, shift points, firmness, etc.

And the motor planning is still a long ways down the road. I'm researching more and more the things that need to be bulletproofed before crazy power, and working on those first. Like the wheels and tires, then sound system, then the rear end, brakes, suspension, tranny, and then finally the motor. Sheesh, I need to stop buying cars, and just lease them. Hehe

davesdeville
12-01-04, 10:22 PM
Lux: The caddy 500 didnt have that kind of power as I recall. Thought it peaked around 400 horse. Torque was up there though. If it could be done cheaper though, and more compact, (this ramjet's kinda tall, will likely mean a cowl hood, or cutting a hole in the hood) a caddy 500, blown to get the power I want could be nice. I did kinda want to do fuel injection vs carb though.

A stock-rebuilt late model 500 is just under 300hp and 500ft.lbs, the 10:1 compression variety add about 20hp. Intake, cam, headers, big valves and head portwork, and a shaft rocker system to hold the valvetrain together will get you in the 500hp range, probably nearing 600ft.lbs. There should be AMPLE money leftover for FI, probably a supercharger or forged internals and a nitrous system.

FASSTWOOD
12-01-04, 10:45 PM

Voices of reason to stop you. Hell! I'm ready to come down to florida and give ya a hand!!! A couple of impy guys have done it. So there's info out there for ya...