: WTK: Has anyone from North Carolina taken their V up to V.I.R. ? I am

Tackelbarry
03-21-12, 04:52 PM
about an hour from there and was interested in driving the car on the track. Are there special events just for our croud? Any feedback from someone that has done this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

CadzillaTN
03-21-12, 06:26 PM
Tack, most of the track junkies don't post anymore.. Do a site specific search for VIR (via google). There's also lots of threads about what to expect and how to prepare the car.. Not sure how much on VIR specifically, but lots of general info on tracking, where the V1 is right at home.

I think bigjimspunk has been there before, he might chime in..

JDB
03-21-12, 11:13 PM
I've been to VIR, but not with my V...yet.

You can run DE events with the Audi or Porsche clubs, or non-brand based groups like NASA or SCCA.

Great place to start looking for DE events is www.motorsportsreg.com

AAIIIC
03-22-12, 12:23 AM
I've been there a number of times, both in my V and in my Subaru. If you search for VIR you should find some of my videos. Here's one from the last time I was there, way back in June 2011:
http://youtu.be/pdfoT2FJhe0

There are a variety of clubs that run events at VIR. Just take a look at the calendar on VIR's website (http://virnow.com/track/calendar/), find events that fit your schedule, and then find the associated club's website to find more info. Definitely check out Trackdaze (http://www.trackdaze.com) - they've got a few events at VIR and run an excellent program. The Potomac-Chesapeake Chapter of the Audi Owners Club (http://www.pcc-acna.org/) is running at VIR in April - they also run fantastic events (you do have to join the national Audi club, but it's not that expensive, and you don't have to actually own an Audi).

VIR is no kidding one of the best road courses in North America. I wish I only lived an hour away! I've attended events from as far away as Newport, RI, and it was well worth the trip.

Tackelbarry
03-22-12, 07:52 AM
Your video is great!! It will also be useful to watch and learn the track configuration and turns before getting to the track. As a novice/first time driver at V.I.R., would the instructor allow my son to ride along in the back seat?

Thomas M
03-22-12, 08:47 AM
I've been there on my ZX-10R and loved it. It has a good combination of corners, straights and hills to keep things exciting. Aside from the track, the onsite rooms are very nice as is their restaurant/bar. I need to get the V and the KX 450 out there.

thebigjimsho
03-22-12, 11:01 AM
Tack, most of the track junkies don't post anymore.. Do a site specific search for VIR (via google). There's also lots of threads about what to expect and how to prepare the car.. Not sure how much on VIR specifically, but lots of general info on tracking, where the V1 is right at home.

I think bigjimspunk has been there before, he might chime in..

Thanks, Spazzilla!

Pat summed things up. I've got a few vids running at VIR in their longest Grand East configuration. Also on the Full course. I will try to post them later.

While there isn't a full Cadillac event like V-Day, I've been with a number of other V drivers. I went with Mazda Drivers back in '07. Great group and a ton of seat time. They do 2 day weekends, usually in June and August. That's where I met trukk, v-sam, MDW and a couple others...

My favorite track in the US...

----------

Oh, and I came down from Boston to drive it...

----------

Also, v-sam(John) lives nearby and does some instructing. He'd love any excuse to get to VIR...

AAIIIC
03-22-12, 03:13 PM
As a novice/first time driver at V.I.R., would the instructor allow my son to ride along in the back seat?
Negative. There are very, very few clubs that allow any passengers other than instructors. Even the couple of clubs I've run with that do/did allow non-instructors to ride along I don't think would have allowed a minor.

The closest you'll get is that a lot of clubs do "parade laps" during lunch time to allow folks to take friends/family out on the track, but it's not at speed. Still gives them a chance to see what the track looks like.

I went with Mazda Drivers back in '07. Great group and a ton of seat time. They do 2 day weekends, usually in June and August.
I think MazdaDrivers may be defunct. I went looking for their 2012 schedule a couple days ago and their website is dead. It is a shame, because they ran good events, but I think they may have been a victim of the slow economy the past couple years (not as many folks signing up).

mstrjon32
03-22-12, 04:41 PM
Nürburgring: One of the most demanding, challenging tracks in the world--24€ and you can take whatever car you like, without any safety checks, helmets, or rollcages, with whatever passengers you like, as many times as you like.

Anyone here who ever makes it over to Germany, I'm more than happy to take you to the track and run a few laps. Then you can buy me a few beers at the cafe and I'll have no choice but to hand you the keys and maybe you can get a few in...

Tackelbarry
03-23-12, 08:12 AM
"The closest you'll get is that a lot of clubs do "parade laps" during lunch time to allow folks to take friends/family out on the track, but it's not at speed. Still gives them a chance to see what the track looks like."

Parade laps? Does this literally mean at 55 or 65 mph as a top speed ? I know they have liability issues, but this sounds boring. As a retired ploice officer I have nothing left to prove or impress, I was just hoping to allow my 15 year old to see what it was like to run up to 100-120mph. in a safe way.

Just out of curiousity, any idea how many rpms you were tacking when the speedometer read 143 in the video? I think Il'l go watch it again!

AAIIIC
03-23-12, 10:17 AM
Nürburgring: One of the most demanding, challenging tracks in the world--24€ and you can take whatever car you like, without any safety checks, helmets, or rollcages, with whatever passengers you like, as many times as you like.
Wait a minute... Are you saying that motor vehicle laws and liability considerations are different in Europe than they are in the US?! Stop the presses!!!! :bonkers:

Parade laps? Does this literally mean at 55 or 65 mph as a top speed ?
Yes.

As a retired ploice officer I have nothing left to prove or impress, I was just hoping to allow my 15 year old to see what it was like to run up to 100-120mph. in a safe way.
As a retired police officer I would think you'd know it's entirely possible to safely do 120mph (or more) on public highways. :) Not legal, of course, so perhaps it's not a lesson you want to teach your soon-to-be-of-driving-age son, but it can be done perfectly safely.

Your son may be able to ride along at speed with an instructor, which could be a much more impressive ride than in your V since a lot of instructors have heavily prepped track cars. Again, it would depend on the rules about minors with whatever club is running the event.

Just out of curiousity, any idea how many rpms you were tacking when the speedometer read 143 in the video? I think Il'l go watch it again!
Somewhere up towards 6000rpm, I think.

atdeneve
03-23-12, 02:31 PM
In 5th (with stock gearing), 143 would be between 5500-5750rpm.

AAIIIC
03-23-12, 05:11 PM
My gearing is effectively off by a bit (~4%), since the 275/35-18 R-comps are shorter than stock, so RPMs were actually higher than "normal." The speed in the video is actual (GPS) speed; if I switch the displayed speed to the OBDII speed, it reads higher.

Tackelbarry
03-23-12, 05:57 PM
"As a retired police officer I would think you'd know it's entirely possible to safely do 120mph (or more) on public highways. :) "

I appreciate your opinion but would have to disagree. It would be very unlikely to do 120mph (or more) safely on a public road. That is why I am inquiring here. In my professional experience as a police officer, there are "many" more unknowns involved when someone speeds on a public road. For example; the condition of the road (which in general sucks in N.C.), what unknown, un-tutored or un-trained traffic may do as they do or do not see you approaching at a high rate of speed. Plus, as you mentioned it is illlegal!

"Not legal, of course, so perhaps it's not a lesson you want to teach your soon-to-be-of-driving-age son, but it can be done perfectly safely."
Again, I am inquiring because it "is" legal to do the speeds we are talking about on a closed and highly regulated track.

"Your son may be able to ride along at speed with an instructor, which could be a much more impressive ride than in your V since a lot of instructors have heavily prepped track cars. Again, it would depend on the rules about minors with whatever club is running the event."
This may be a good option as long as the instructor respects his wishes and does not push the envelope to hard.

Just fyi., I am not a complete novice in the racing world. I raced enduro carts, laying flat on my back with dual gas tanks, at Rockingham, Charlotte, and Road Atlanta in the mid 80's and hit over 120mph on several occassions. If you really want to try to see through the "blur" try it in an enduro cart, flat on your back, at 120+ mph.

Again, I respect and appreciate your opinion so please do not take offense to my response. As I stated earlier, I have nothing to prove or any need to impress. I was simply asking to try to give my oldest son, at his request, a good experience.

atdeneve
03-23-12, 07:03 PM
You want to give him a good experience, take him to a strip club.

Just playin. Please don't give me a ticket.

Tackelbarry
03-23-12, 08:45 PM
Please believe, I am not saying this with any judgement, but that is not within our family "belief".

thebigjimsho
03-23-12, 09:48 PM
I think MazdaDrivers may be defunct. I went looking for their 2012 schedule a couple days ago and their website is dead. It is a shame, because they ran good events, but I think they may have been a victim of the slow economy the past couple years (not as many folks signing up).
I hope not. That's too bad. They are/were a well run, low ego group.

JDB
03-24-12, 12:53 PM
Beat advice was given to get your under age son on the track.... let him ride with an instructor in their car during their session. Even though I run in Advanced solo run groups, I jump in pass seats as much as possible to continue to learn. Usually just ask for 2-3 laps to see their lines and how the car handles ...then get my fat butt out of their car so they can be quicker.

Tackelbarry
03-24-12, 01:04 PM
I agree with your entire post. How much do instructors generally charge to allow others to ride along? As you mentioned, I think this is a good option for both of us. Thanks for the reply.

thebigjimsho
03-24-12, 01:51 PM
Many instructors encourage student to ride along on their sessions to observe...

JDB
03-24-12, 03:56 PM
I agree with your entire post. How much do instructors generally charge to allow others to ride along? As you mentioned, I think this is a good option for both of us. Thanks for the reply.

$0

It's a driver's education (DE) event. Instructors are there to teach. Most clubs don't charge their instructors or may something minimal (~$100) and they work their butts off all day(s) between students cars and then getting their track time during their session -- another reason why I don't take up their entire session(s)...and that many are club racers using it as practice.

AAIIIC
03-24-12, 03:57 PM
I've never heard of an instructor asking for payment for a ride-along.

Tackelbarry
03-24-12, 04:17 PM
That is awsome. It definately sounds like the best way for my son to get a good experience as well as some instruction for me. Thanks for all of the replies.

atdeneve
03-24-12, 04:49 PM
Please believe, I am not saying this with any judgement, but that is not within our family "belief".

Please believe, I was joking.

CadzillaTN
03-25-12, 02:29 AM
Keep it up, you'll be getting a saturday night skull cracker!

http://sfist.com/attachments/SFist_AndrewD/pistolwhip.jpg