: Vagon Bicycle Roof Rack

cvs
03-21-12, 04:36 PM
Now that spring is here in Michigan it's time to get out on the bike. I bought the factory crossbars for my vagon over the winter and just went out and bought two Yakima Forklift trays. These are the kind where you remove the front wheel and the front fork attaches to the rack. The front of the tray attaches to the front crossbar and there is a sliding connector that attaches to the rear crossbar. Everything went well until I stepped back and looked at my work. The rear end of the tray hangs out over the rear hatch of the vagon so if I were to open the hatch it would drive the tray right into the paint. The factory crossbars don't have a lot of adjustment so there isn't the option to slide everything forward. Has anyone come across another type of try that allows both mounting points to move on the tray so I can slide the whole assembly towards the front of the car. The only other option I can thing of is to flip the tray around and have the front of the bike face the rear of the car. Thanks.

DrVolkl
03-21-12, 08:12 PM
You can modify how far open the hatch actually opens (at least that's what the dealership told me, I've never messed with it) but perhaps you can still get it open far enough at 3/4 without hitting anything.

bzabodyn
03-21-12, 11:34 PM
Yes, try 1/2 then 3/4 on the turn knob on the driver's door. I'm looking into a roof rack as well so I'd like to see pics if you have a second.

BZ

FLTRI
03-22-12, 03:09 PM
Edit: Errr, posted on the wrong thread. Good luck getting the bike rack adjusted though...

cvs
03-22-12, 05:31 PM
Yes, try 1/2 then 3/4 on the turn knob on the driver's door. I'm looking into a roof rack as well so I'd like to see pics if you have a second.

BZ

Tried adjusting the height of the hatch but it still comes up too far. I think I'll have to go with mounting the trays back to front. I'll post some pics when I can.

FLTRI
03-23-12, 01:38 PM
Tried adjusting the height of the hatch but it still comes up too far. I think I'll have to go with mounting the trays back to front. I'll post some pics when I can.

Did you know you can stop the hatch at any angle you want by pushing the button on the hatch as it's moving? I didn't, found out by accident while on vacation. A second push will reverse whatever direction it was going. Makes wiping down the hatch much easier when washing the car too...