: Our stock exhaust is quiet but the M5 uses stereo to generate fake interior noise.

SoCalCTSV
03-21-12, 12:49 PM
I'm mixed about this.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20111031-48/bmw-m5-generates-fake-engine-noise-using-stereo/

cdog533
03-21-12, 01:14 PM
Hmmmm. Noise regulations in a lot of the 'nanny' countries probably make it impossible to have a loud car, so this is the solution.

Alternately, I can make F1 sounds with my mouth, or imitate a top fueler at idle: "pakata-pakata-pakata-vrooooom-pakata-pakata-pakata"

SoCal_V
03-21-12, 01:26 PM
We will be thankful this technology exists when eventually the combustion engine is replaced by electric motors. :rolleyes:

I think they're making a mountain out of a mole hill w/this though. The M5 "samples" the engine note w/mics and replays it into the cabin at an incredibly low backing track on the stereo...it supposedly adds to the exhaust noise, not completely replaces it.

I still prefer 100% sound coming from a thumping V8 big block, but I'm open to new technology...

Either way, I bet the new M5 will sound really nice...and it will be a monster. Don't get me started on its fuel economy... :shhh:

JFJr
03-21-12, 01:37 PM
I don't find the "V" stock exhaust to be particularly quiet and when the car is started, it sounds like a high performance automobile. It makes "unCadillac-like" engine rumble when driving along, and that puts a smile on my face. The only criticism I have is the supercharger noise interference. The naturally-aspirated LS6 in the 2004-2005 "V's" sounded much better.

BMW's approach to engine sound in the M5 cabin is ludicrous over-engineering and an insult to car guys. That by itself ought to be cause for repeal of "the ultimate driving machine" slogan. BMW is losing its soul.

Jud

thebigjimsho
03-21-12, 02:04 PM
Eh, not a big deal to me. I believe you can turn it off, anyway. Besides, most performance Fords pipe engine noise into the cockpit. I know the Mustang does...

----------

Oh, and...

http://butifnot.tripod.com/racecar.html

cdog533
03-21-12, 02:50 PM
I think the Ferrari Spyder does it as well. And doesn't it have FAKE pipes at the rear?

thebigjimsho
03-21-12, 03:00 PM
The Mustang? The Boss 302 has legit pipes out the back AND side.

FLTRI
03-21-12, 03:15 PM
BMW's approach to engine sound in the M5 cabin is ludicrous over-engineering and an insult to car guys. That by itself ought to be cause for repeal of "the ultimate driving machine" slogan. BMW is losing its soul.

Jud

Spot on, IMHO. I read about this in C&D and thought wtf really? Cool car, but fake engine noise?!? Ridiculous...